cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keyboard/mouse failure during clean windows 7 installation...solution?

Pmdureska
Level 7
hey all. i just finished building a computer with Maximus Hero VIII, i5-6600k, and EVGA GTX 980. i was doing a clean install with windows 7 and when i got to the screen to type in my name and name the PC, the mouse and keyboard would not work. i rebooted to BIOS and both devices work there. i tried enabling EHCI hand off in the BIOS and also tried disabling USB 3 ports in the BIOS as was suggested by posters at another online site (tom's hardware). NO luck. Now i am stuck and not sure what to do. i have just contacted ASUS support by email. i loaded Windows 7 from a DVD in the Blu ray drive (ASUS). Anyoine else with this problem or a solution? Thanks to all who respond. PS my mouse is corsair m65 and keyboard is a Corsair K70 and i tried using just the USB 2.0 ports for their connection...again no luck.
16 REPLIES 16

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you try USB ports in the rear and disconnect, then reconnect?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

yes i did and tried both usb 2 and usb 3. i don't know if it's something i can correct in the Bios or not. i don't know if i can download drivers onto a flash drive and connect to a usb to see if that would help.

Chino wrote:
Did you follow the Windows® 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation for 100 Series and Braswell platform guide to install Windows 7?

i am not sure how to do that. i was just tryying to load windows onto the SSD for a new build. Can i get the drivers from from the link you provided and download onto a flash drive and then plug into a usb port on my new build? Sorry, i am just not too adept with the whole software thing. i will check out the link...thanks

Chino: thank you for the link. i will try one of the methods tomorrow. i assume the ASUS support DVD is the disk that comes with the MOBO ...correct? i will post if this works.

Hey! I recently joined these forums because I just built a new box with maximus 8 hero/6700k, I just wanted to say that I went to install windows 7 on my new build and I came across the same issue. Then I started reading that the new chipset for 1151 doesn't support EHCI . Here is a quote from an article...." Microsoft is removing support for the EHCI host controller (USB 2.0 spec) and keeping only the xHCI host controller spec (also known as the universal USB 3.0 specification). While the USB 3.0 spec is backward compatible with most USB 2.0 and 1.0 functions, installing windows 7 via USB will not be one of them". So no keyboard/mouse support for windows 7 going forward on this new socket 1151 and others ( during the installation of os). Same thing goes for the install disc, no support. Luckily the hero has ps/2 and you can go that route for re-installing 7 on the new socket or like I ended up doing and saying f'it and put windows 10 on and all the issues were gone. I'm not sure if this is your solution but hopefully it helps. Happy New Year!

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/#ix...

Pmdureska wrote:
Chino: thank you for the link. i will try one of the methods tomorrow. i assume the ASUS support DVD is the disk that comes with the MOBO ...correct? i will post if this works.

That's correct.

Chino wrote:
That's correct.

i think i failed miserably. this morning i turned on the computer and it and the keyboard and mouse were working with the installation disc for windows 7. so i proceeded with user name, password etc. and then it said my key needed activation and my copy of windows 7 was invalid. i thought i could make one backup (which i did on a jump drive) but i think it invalidated my windows 7 disc. in addition when i plugged in a working Ethernet cable, i could not access the internet to even try to activarte my windows 7. i then tried inserting the jumpdrive with the windows 7 files along with the ASUS support disc (i did go into the bios to make the jump drive boot#1) and it took me to some black and white screen wanting commands. i just tried one more time this method and i don't think my keyboard is working because if i push F2 or delete it wont goto the bios. right now iam pretty frustrated and thinking i should have just done a windows 10 install. Chino, do you think if i get the windows 10 and put it in the optical drive of the computer it will load win 10? if it does i can just reformat my SSD and load 10. any thoughts? thanks

Chino wrote:
That's correct.

i hate to bug you. i inserted the jumpdrive with my copy of windows 7 and also the ASUS support disc. i am now at a screen (black and white) that says at the bottom"welcome to FreeDOS i have a command waiting to be written: C:\>_ it obviously wants me to type a command butr what i should type i have no clue. can you direct me please?