cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero q-codes 14, 15 and 99

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Here we go again: Was playing FO4 when the system suddenly shut down and went into a reboot loop again, same as before. Only code 15 this time (pre-memory system agent initialization is started). Reseated and tested all RAM and slots, cleared CMOS. Got code 14 then (pre-memory CPU initialization started). Checked CPU and socket; all okay. Removed and reseated mobo and tightened the screws a bit more than before*. Booted just fine.

*my crazy theory; maybe the mobo screws weren't tightened enough causing the whole thing to sag just enough to short it, causing the problem?

Any ideas what might have caused it, and what I can do if it happens next? I'm not feeling really comfortable now that it might happen again.

Edit 1: Well it was fine in Windows, loaded a save game and boom there it goes again. Thoroughly p***ed off now! I've never had PC issues before and now it's something off and on with a single system I cannot reply on.

Edit 2: Could only get it working after taking out the entire mobo again but this time I replaced the screws for ones with a slightly wider head for more grip. Then I got code 99 with no display. Had to revert to my old DVI display, enter BIOS after another CMOS reset and save and exit to get my new 144Hz DisplayPort monitor working again. I've been at it for hours and am worried that as soon as I launch a game I'll be back to a boot loop (and I was right). Even took all the OCs off. I don't know what else to do 😞

I have no extra components to test with nor can I get any.

Online searches yielded people with the same thing across all kinds of generarations of boards, always seems to happen during heavy load ie gaming but no one has found a solution. Replacement boards didn't solve it either for them.

Am going to flash the newest bios to it shortly and even considered the wall socket being bad so tried another, albeit not grounded, one to no avail. Also, I have my GPU zip tied upwards to counter the sag, could that be it? Grasping at straws now.

Edit 3: Because I keep thinking of a short somewhere I removed the side panels (to no avail), reseated all cables in the PSU, removed the top panel and it booted just fine - although I doubt that's the culprit. Here's a pic of the top panel where you can see a ground wire attached to the case, a rolled up LED wire I don't use, and 3 empty sockets from which I removed cables I don't use (front eSATA, USB 2.0 etc.).

Could there maybe be a short caused by something faulty with the case that I simply cannot see? I don't want to buy a new case on a whim, hoping that'd solve it.

Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64
58 REPLIES 58

Menthol
Level 14
Following your theory could your case be warped a little bit causing a bad seat of the processor in the socket?
Have you tried it out of the case on the box it came in, have you tried it without the front panel wires connected using the power button on the motherboard

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
It's working now (bios on default) after reseating PSU cables and one by one I'm putting things back. All fine but there's something wrong for sure. Remember my having the same thing when I built it a month ago but code 13 then. It's been fine since reassembling it until yesterday so something is awry... It worked fine on a box then, yes, was just about to try it today when having the case stripped worked and I decided to follow that route first. Elsewhere I'm recommended to RMA the motherboard, which I can do if I don't find anything else, but for now I'm a bit skeptical because others online, and this forum, having had the same issue with different and older boards didn't have it solved with a new board. In fact, no solution and cause has been listed anywhere...

What I did notice with the side panels off and in-game was the PSU fan spinning up shortly every other minute; it never did that (always sits off). May be nothing but at this point it might be smart to report any anomaly. It doesn't seem to do so with the case panels closed.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

Chino
Level 15
If it's fine on the cardboard box, then the problem is caused by a bad installation somewhere inside the case.

Chino wrote:
If it's fine on the cardboard box, then the problem is caused by a bad installation somewhere inside the case.

My thoughts exactly, however I cannot find out what and why it worked well for a month. I'm also looking sideways to the case itself (maybe it's just broken), PSU (just in case) or maybe even the cables (used the proper CableMod cables) - however I have tested with the Corsair cables as well. I have issues with the board spitting out random codes which makes it a guessing game rather pinpointing the issue. I'm also very curious how others solved it, several are on this forum but never reported back etc.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Testing the AIO: iIn OCCT CPU temp was 59 C on the hottest core during the PSU test.

So tested without OCs and adding one OC at a time (in OCCT):

PSU: 80 minutes - no issues

GPU: no issues

CPU: no issues

System is still up and running since I refitted the cables into the PSU side so I cannot replicate the issue nor am I convinced it's the cables (when I build the system and it would do something similar it gave me Q-code 13, I tested with stock PSU cables to no avail - unless the matters are unrelated).

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
5 JANUARY 2016:

Incident: watching a second South Park ep in WMP. Immediate system shutdown. Boot loop gave Q-code 25 (= nowhere in the table) (gave 25 earlier, after a clear CMOS button it went to 14 or 15). System tries to boot 2x, then gives up.

What I did: Shut off the PSU and drained power. Removed extension cord from electric socket. Removed all CableMod PSU cables on the PSU side and re-fitted them. Removed PSU cables from motherboard (24-pin only; 8-pin is can only be removed by removing AIO cooler) and GPU. Took out and re-fitted the RAM. Took off and re-fitted the front USB 3.0 connector from the motherboard (next to the 24-pin socket). Tightened the SATA and power connectors on both the SSD and HDD - thinking of Never Back Down's previous issues.

Result: System booted fine instantly.

Thoughts: I may have narrowed it down.

1. It could be the RAM. It's not on the QVL list but that shouldn't be a problem. Is there a good recent RAM test that will replicate the issue if any exists?

2. It could be the front USB 3.0 connector (can that cause an immediate and full shutdown to begin with?), and here's why: perhaps the Q-code when I built the system is unrelated to the current issues. You see, I left the connector off until a few days ago.

3. It's one of the CableMod cables (refer to my Q-code 13 thread where I note I did test cable by cable with the stock Corsair cables both outside and inside the case).

4. On the off chance that the SATA cables might be bad, although they are brand new ones that came with the motherboard, I could replace them if the issue occurs again.

Chino
Level 15
Looks like you're making progress. Discard the possibilites one by one. For example, disconnect the USB 3.0 connector. If the problem persists, swap the Cablemod cables for the default PSU cables.

PS: Clear your CMOS and make sure you're running at stock default. No XMP.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Cheers Chino, will do that come weekend. But yeah, bit of progress, do read on please:

6 JANUARY 2016:

After a good night of gaming last night the system (now without the front USB 3.0 attached) decided to shut down again, went into a boot loop until b6 (Clean-up of NVRAM - no idea what that means, neither does Google) and then boot looping to 25 a couple of times. Only refitting the PSU cables like yesterday worked.

I did check again and my RAM (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) indeed isn't on the QVL. However the same kit in 4x4 config is.

Found another lad with a similar system (mobo, GPU, exact RAM) with similar issues and I asked both Asus and Corsair if they are familiar with the the mobo & RAM combo being problematic - earlier Asus advised me to try QVL parts only but obviously I don't have other RAM, PSU, GPU and SSD lying around for the fun of it.

My question to you guys and girls is:

1. Could it indeed be the RAM?
2. Could incompatible RAM cause this after working fine for weeks?
3. Alternatively, could it just be a bad CPU OC causing this? I ask because after refitting the PSU cables now and again it says 'OC failed' upon booting. Would be weird if it worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Also, how about the CPU 8-pin being too tight here:

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Silly question: how about where I connect the CPU and GPU power cables in the PSU?

Right now I have the CPU in slot 1, the GPU in slot 2.

Further, I did update the Nvidia driver to the latest right before the issues began, although doubtful I will revert back, and try the stock Corsair GPU cable.

Been reading threads online left and right but no one has a real cause or solution. The ROG forum is full of them with different gen boards. I am at wits end to be honest. I also don't know if it's related to the code 13 when I assembled the system. I built many PCs in the past but never encountered this issue; I'm puzzled.

It always shuts down under load (only in game) except for once when it did in the bios and in Windows Media Player.

Only this changed before the shut downs:

1. Different monitor
2. Updated GPU driver
3. Some Windows updates
4. Put a very mild OC on the GPU (shuts down with it off also). 1388/3637, stock volts

I only play FO4 currently, but doubt it's the game.

I'll put it all on a box come weekend, but how to continue if it fails? And how if it doesn't?