cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e5 2643 v3 realy more oc-able then other xeons?

KING2882000
Level 7
Hello

I found on a few websites (like cpu boss) , that you can oc a 2643 v3 to 3.8-3.9 ghz on all cores.
I know the multiplicator is locked, but maybe bclk oc is very effektive on this cpu.

Do you know if that is right?
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
There's very little information about overclocking Xeons.

I suspect the information on your websites was taken from very few E5-2643-3 parts, maybe a couple guys posting their RealBench results or whatever. (I couldn't find a lot about E5-2643-3 overclocking, but there are lots of hits about comparing E5-2643-2 vs i7-4960X overclocks.) Xeon procs aren't readily available through consumer channels, they cost far more than insanely overpriced i7-X enthusiast procs, and they aren't really designed to support overclocking - they can indeed be overclocked, but the people who buy them tend to be disinterested in gambling with the processor stability and reliability and longevity they've paid a premium price to attain.

Overclocking capabilities depend greatly on the motherboard, and I couldn't find any motherboards specified. This is only a 6C/12T part, but I seriously doubt all six cores could overclock from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz without exotic cooling - the vast majority of Intel processors have only 2 or maybe 3 strong cores which can sustain full Turbo (and overclock) speeds.

You would probably do better with an i7-5930K anyhow, and you could buy three of them (with three chances at a mighty overclock) for the same price as one E5-2643-3.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

KING2882000
Level 7
I would get two of them for the price of a 5930k and would use it on a z10pe d16 ws. Cooled with water.
Should i take them? One of them is as good as a 5930k in gaming and oc a 5930k doesnt realy boost the fps in the benchmarks i have seen.

Menthol
Level 14
I have never built a dual CPU system myself, it would be unique for a home desktop, the fact that you can get 2 chips for a low price may make it sound like a good deal and 12 cores sounds exciting but I don't think it would make the best gamer system, it would be kind of fun to build and bench but unless you have the need for a server you are asking for trouble, if you need a server you can game on I would love to hear about the build. You need double the memory and the memory is EEC server memory not normal desktop memory, no M.2 slot, etc.
Just the fact that your here asking if you should buy them is a good indicator that you probably shouldn't, if you do buy them and build this system we would love to have you post a build log

Korth
Level 14
You won't find many 2S-capable motherboards (with a C61x-based chipset) which support hard overclocking. At least none which offer a non-Intel LGA2011-3 OC Socket and a BIOS with piles of settings to fine tweak maximal overclocks. I imagine that achieving stable OC on a multiprocessor system would be a real challenge.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

KING2882000
Level 7
Its going to be a z10 pe d16 ws

Vlada011
Level 10
I could buy E5-2670 V3 ES for 450 euro before few weeks, 24 threads, 30MB Cache.
I still have picture somewhere I couldn't believe what I saw. Pardon I could buy for 500e because when I saw he was reserved for 450e.
and before him guy sold with 14 cores same ES for around 600 euro. I saw that in positive comments from customers who buy from him. Imagine that 28 threads for price of i7-5930K...
I know that ES is not nicest solution, but if motherboard accept him and guy write clearly that work on same boards as i7-5820K and i7-5930K than performance are absolutely same.
And in our country is rule if something no warranty than seller usually give 7 days warranty for buyers to test is it compatible, etc.
Because of that X99 is excellent, I will find similar offers in next 2 years several time.

Legolas
Level 9
Xeon processors are usually locked multiplier for 24/7 data-center stability. I overclock BCLK to 104.1 but posting issues even with high core 1.4V with 104.2 and higher.
The Xeon only way to overclock is BCLK with higher voltage (not Vcore, but another voltage). I have not find the right voltage tweak yet. I am still tweaking.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Korth
Level 14
My E5-1680-3 doesn't seem to have any locked clocks, frequencies, multipliers, or voltages. Or perhaps my Asus ROG X99 R5E mobo (with Asus OC Socket) completely ignores/overrides any Intel lockouts coded into the Xeon part. I was unable to overclock it, completely unable to change any frequencies or multipliers or voltages - all relevant BIOS settings were greyed out on "Auto" - when it briefly ran on a Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC Force 1.0 mobo last year.

[/Korth]