cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernation and Boot Setting are Categorically Dysfunctional - Another AMDA00 Thread

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
So.. This issue, or variations of it has been brought up at different points in the past:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48605-please-help-The-embedded-controller-(EC)-ASUS-hero-VI...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43206-Z87-Windows-8-1-Fast-Startup-and-Hibernation-work-sp...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48808-Help-Multiple-ACPI-Errors

Apparently it needs to get brought up again, though. I'm experiencing a highly reproducible issue dealing with Hibernation and the Asus Boot Setting utility in Windows. To address some of the basics, yes, the CSM is disabled in the UEFI BIOS and yes, Fast Startup is enabled in the Power Options applet. This is essentially a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64, with drivers for the chipset, video card, SATA controllers, etc., already installed. There are no yellow bangs present in the device manager.

[/HR]
The Problem: Essentially, as far as Windows is concerned, support for Hibernation and Fast Startup are getting flipped on and off like a light switch every time the user warm boots (i.e. restarts) the affected system.

Steps Necessary to Reproduce the Problem: (1) Open up a command prompt, (2) issue the command "powercfg -a", and (3) get the following output:

Next, restart the affected system one time. Then, repeat steps (1) and (2). This will yield the output below:

If the affected user proceeds to look in the root of their system drive, they will also see that hiberfil.sys is now missing. If the system is restarted one more time, Hibernation and Fast Startup will once again be reported as supported, and hiberfil.sys will reappear. This cycle will then repeat itself infinitely as the system restart count increases over time.

Conclusion: Restarting the system will either disable or enable Hibernation and Fast Startup support in Windows, depending on whether they were enabled or disabled prior to restarting. Furthermore, this pattern appears to be unbreakable (except as noted elsewhere in this post) and 100 percent predictable. I would welcome, highly encourage, and appreciate it if anyone running Windows 7 through 10 on a Z87, Z97, or Z170 chipset (Asus or ASRock) would test the above procedure themselves and report back here with their findings.

I have made some additional observations as well:

• This pattern occurs whether Windows 7 or Windows 10 is installed. The problem is therefore not OS-dependent. I haven't had the time to check if this holds true on Windows 8.1 as well.

• The exact, same pattern also occurs without fail on my Asus Z97 Deluxe. This means that the problem isn't chipset-dependent either, and that the root cause of the problem is likely the same for all affected chipsets.

• Uninstalling AI Suite and removing all other Asus software from the system changes absolutely nothing. Hibernation and Fast Startup support still flip on or off with every restart.

• Restoring all settings in the UEFI BIOS to their "Optimized Defaults" doesn't make any difference, either.

• The system always cold boots with Hibernation and Fast Startup support enabled (as reported by "powercfg -a"), whether or not they were disabled prior to shutting down. Incidentally, for some reason that I haven't yet been able to identify, Fast Startup actually does work like it should, and what's even more surprising is that it appears to work consistently, despite the Hibernation issue (hence why "Fast Startup" is nowhere to be found in the thread title). Seeing as how Windows supposedly hibernates the kernel session upon system shutdown to make a "fast startup" possible the next time it starts, I can't see how this is possible. This behavior seems incredibly weird to me, and I'm currently unable to explain it any further.

• However, the Asus Boot Setting utility is non-functional. It opens up just fine, but the DirectBIOS feature does not work at all (it just restarts the system), and the "Fast Boot" and "Next boot after AC power loss" options under "Advanced Setup" do not correctly represent the way these options are set in my UEFI BIOS. This application obviously has some kind of problem communicating with its underlying driver/framework.

And this brings me to my main point, where the dots are ultimately connected:

• What driver has been responsible for Asus Boot Setting (dys)functionality in the past? Answer: the infamous AMDA00 interface.

• What other issues have typically been associated with AMDA00 dysfunction on prior board generations? Answer: Fast Startup and Hibernation.

I understand that there's no "AMDA00" driver currently installed on my system. There isn't even a driver listed for it on the Asus website's Windows 10 download page for the Maximus VIII Hero. I'm not nearly familiar enough with this board's architecture to say whether the AMDA00 interface is even a part the equation anymore, though. Perhaps it's been replaced by something else entirely, but if it has, then by all indications, that "something else entirely " still doesn't function properly.

[/HR]
So, what's causing this? This is my burning question, and I think I've demonstrated pretty reasonably that AMDA00 (or whatever driver or framework now exists in its place) is probably the answer. Someone please tell me that it's more likely to be something else. I'm not being facetious--I really do mean that. If somebody knows of something else that could feasibly explain this behavior and these symptoms given the observations I've made and the correlations that exist as a result, then I truly and genuinely want to hear from those people. As it stands, however, both Hibernation and the Asus Boot Setting utility are effectively broken and there is no good reason or excuse for this.. at all. I've fundamentally established that the problem isn't necessarily tied to a particular operating system or chipset, and that the presence of any Asus software (or lack thereof) makes no difference either.

I shouldn't have to explain why I need or want Hibernation and the Boot Setting utility to function properly, and I absolutely do not intend to. Such an explanation would be utterly irrelevant and superfluous considering that this motherboard is blatantly advertised to be "Windows 10 Ready", not to mention that Asus markets these boards heavily and quite explicitly to enthusiast consumers. While I can't speak for anyone else, I will say that this enthusiast consumer expects his $250+ computer peripherals to function properly, and without exception. Does anyone here consider such an expectation to be even remotely unreasonable? I would hope not.

I will submit a ticket to Asus technical support momentarily, but I welcome all intelligent input or discussion on this matter. I think I've stoked the fire and expressed my agitation more than enough at this point.. :mad:
16 REPLIES 16

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
For Asus tech support:

I think it's worthy to note that I'm also seeing ACPI error 15 in the event viewer on a daily basis. There are no WUDF-related events (e.g. The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\********) to go along with it, though..

Log Name: System
Source: ACPI
Date: 1/4/2016 3:57:10 AM
Event ID: 15
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *****************
Description:
: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System

0000C00001000000000000000F00058000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000056B93B002081130010010401600000005000051270000100100234008000C001A009B406100222036000000050008A1770000100100A1B0080005D01A009E704100A6A01600001005000121A700000001002320080008401A0096F051002D501600000005000C31670000000100A33008000BE01A009BC06100A0B03600000005000E818000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

ondersma80
Level 7
If it helps any, I have observed this behavior across multiple systems from multiple manufacturers. I tested exactly as you outlined and have the same behavior on a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+. Of course none of this has any negative impact for me but I understand whatever positive you desire outof it.

Not an explanation as I cannot recall the source, but I thought using restart disables the hybrid shutdown used by Win 10 thus no Fast Startup or hibernation wouldbe in effect. Maybe someone else can confirm that weak recollection.

ondersma80 wrote:
If it helps any, I have observed this behavior across multiple systems from multiple manufacturers. I tested exactly as you outlined and have the same behavior on a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+. Of course none of this has any negative impact for me but I understand whatever positive you desire outof it.

Not an explanation as I cannot recall the source, but I thought using restart disables the hybrid shutdown used by Win 10 thus no Fast Startup or hibernation wouldbe in effect. Maybe someone else can confirm that weak recollection.

That's very interesting. Thanks a ton for doing that and for detailing your results. And multiple manufacturers, too? Good grief... :confused: :confused:

Well, if that's the case, then maybe the AMDA00 "deduction" goes straight out the window. I'm not sure of the source either, but all I can say or be absolutely sure of at this point is that this issue is not a function of design. There's just no way in heII.. It's causing hibernation and Fast Startup to be reported incorrectly to Windows after every other warm boot. If I think back on this, I can remember it starting to happen on my Z97 Deluxe sometime during early to mid-2014. I was doing some rather "expeditionary" things with my BIOS at the time, so back then, I just assumed that it was something that I caused. This Maximus VIII Hero, though? It's bone fricking stock. Now, there's zero doubt in my mind that the source of this problem lies elsewhere.

If you're still listening ondersma80, does hiberfil.sys disappear or reappear from the root of your system drive after every reboot like it does on mine? Again, thanks a bunch for helping out.

If anyone else would like to do the same, it'd be appreciated. I need data, people!! 😉

ondersma80 wrote:
If it helps any, I have observed this behavior across multiple systems from multiple manufacturers. I tested exactly as you outlined and have the same behavior on a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+.

Reneg�de wrote:
That's very interesting. Thanks a ton for doing that and for detailing your results. And multiple manufacturers, too? Good grief... :confused: :confused:

I recently discovered that Asus used to own ASRock as their parent company, and it's likely that they're still a minority shareholder of theirs, so that accounts for that. There's probably still a lot of common components and code used amongst these two board manufacturers, which explains why they might be experiencing a common issue such as this.

I still welcome anyone who wants to use the procedure above (in the OP) to see if their motherboard has this same issue. The problem is not as trivial as people might think. Several UPS manufacturers utilize Hibernation support in their controller software, and the software won't function properly without it..

cartoonistas
Level 7
I want to add my own experience. As you all know there is a tool in win10 that alows to restart your os in bios or in recovery mode.In there you have multiple options as safe mode boot, memory diagnostics etc. For Advanced startup mode to work you need bios setting to be fast boot DISABLED. I know that because I already tested that in my Toshiba laptop. So if you are fast booting, the tool does not work. If you disable that, this tool works. This is where the problem is. In hero viii fast boot does not work.Either you set it to disabled or enabled Advanced recovery never shows up on reboot nor enter the bios upon request. You are welcome to try yourself. Give Some feedback. Fast booting in bios does not work.

I wanted to report that as of BIOS version 1504 for the Maximus VIII Hero, the issue described in the OP appears to have been fixed. It also appears as though BIOS revisions for the VIII Hero Alpha, VIII Formula, VIII Impact, and VIII Ranger have already been released. You're welcome..

The issue likely still affects multiple other Asus and ASRock motherboards, so if you're also affected by this and don't have one of the boards mentioned above, hopefully an updated BIOS will be available for your board shortly. If not, be sure to submit a ticket to your manufacturer's technical support, and don't be afraid to link to this thread. This was most definitely a bug on their end, not that they'll ever admit that or give proper credit to the individual (i.e. me) who categorized it and helped them fix it.

Thanks to ondersma80 for helping me to corroborate the issue and narrow the manufacturer scope..

It looks like this Hibernation issue may have its roots somewhere in the Intel Management Engine. A few days after updating to BIOS 1504, I upgraded the ME firmware to 11.0.1.1001. After the firmware update, I noticed that Hibernation support was once again flipping on and off with every reboot. I had to do a BIOS Flashback of 1504, as neither FWUpdLcl64 or a regular BIOS flash in EZ Flash 3 would downgrade the ME firmware back to 11.0.0.1168 CON H 1.5MB.

After getting the ME firmware back down to 11.0.0.1168, I noticed that the Hibernation issue has once again disappeared..

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
As of BIOS version 1601 for the Maximus VIII Hero, hibernation is broken again. Whatever they did to 1601 broke the fix that was implemented in 1504, and a BIOS flashback to 1504 doesn't un-break it.

Pretty disappointing.. Maybe they'll fix this problem permanently at some point..

ondersma80
Level 7
Reneg�de wrote:
As of BIOS version 1601 for the Maximus VIII Hero, hibernation is broken again. Whatever they did to 1601 broke the fix that was implemented in 1504, and a BIOS flashback to 1504 doesn't un-break it.

Pretty disappointing.. Maybe they'll fix this problem permanently at some point..

I'd check the current bios, problems with old bios' aren't really worth whining about.