cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to windows 10 & BIOS question

Frankz
Level 7
Alright so today I'll be upgrading to windows 10.

I'll be completely wiping my entire SSD & perform a clean install of windows 10 using a bootable USB drive.
I'm still using BIOS Version 802 for Windows 8.1 64Bit.

So how should I go about updating my BIOS? Like at what point in the upgrade process should I update the BIOS?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Hawkstorm
Level 7
If your going to do it I'd do it beforehand while you still have windows 8.1 installed and make sure everything is okie first.

Bios flashback is probably the safest and best way of ensuring you don't get a corrupted bios, by using a USB drive with the Bios file renamed to R5E.Cap on it then inserted into the special Rog Connect USB port under the PS2 Keyboard connector at the back of the machine.

Make sure you put it in the right port and also ensure you not any custom bios settings and voltages etc as it wipes them for the bios, along with any saved settings, then just press the bios flashback button on the back of the machine as outlined in the manual the LED's will blink while its doing don't touch anything while it is and let it complete till the LED's stop flashing.

Then you done, just enter bios and set your machine up again.

You can flash the bios from within the Bios too though TBH I've had it corrupt my bios and also when copying it to the second chip.

Hawkstorm wrote:
If your going to do it I'd do it beforehand while you still have windows 8.1 installed and make sure everything is okie first.

Bios flashback is probably the safest and best way of ensuring you don't get a corrupted bios, by using a USB drive with the Bios file renamed to R5E.Cap on it then inserted into the special Rog Connect USB port under the PS2 Keyboard connector at the back of the machine.

Make sure you put it in the right port and also ensure you not any custom bios settings and voltages etc as it wipes them for the bios, along with any saved settings, then just press the bios flashback button on the back of the machine as outlined in the manual the LED's will blink while its doing don't touch anything while it is and let it complete till the LED's stop flashing.

Then you done, just enter bios and set your machine up again.

You can flash the bios from within the Bios too though TBH I've had it corrupt my bios and also when copying it to the second chip.

Alright thanks for explaining everything so well, I haven't updated my BIOS in over a year so my "know-how" is a lil rusty ;P. & Good that you mention the corrupt bios thing cus I was probably going to update it using the BIOS flash within the bios lol.
But uhm, which BIOS should I be taking? The Windows 8.1 version or will i be fine using Windows 10 version even though my machine will still be running Windows 8.1?

Menthol
Level 14
The bios version has nothing to do with your OS version, if your system is stable with the bios you have you don't necessarily have to update it at all, if you plan on installing a NVME drive such as the Samsung 950 pro or Intel 750 then I believe bios 1302 and up supports the new drives
Flashback is the best way to flash your bios, make sure to follow instructions but Ezflash from withing the bios works equally as well, just read and follow the instructions carefully