cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G552VW + Samsung SM951 256GB NVME

yoshi3
Level 7
Dear all,
I have bought G552VW with installed 1TB HDD and empty M.2 PCI-E slot. I tried to upgrade the laptop with Samsung SSD disk
SM951 256GB in empty M.2 slot, however no luck. My BIOS (latest update) cannot detect the additional SSD disk.
I've tried several ways (UEFI boot USB install disc, Intel NVME drivers, other support files, removing the HDD disk,...). I don't have
a clue what could be wrong. Maybe compatibility? Asus BIOS support? Mechanical disconnection of PCI-E and motherboard?
It's strange, because the ASUS retailer told me to use this SSD disk.

Did somebody solve this kind of problem?

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

o2l8
Level 7
I am having the same problem, from what I gather the G552 is different than the gl552,.
I have the GL-552 I'm trying to get the Samsung 950 Pro to work with it. But it appears that it will not support the NVMe drive. I'm still working on looking for the correct drive and what will work. I have yet to find a confirm case as to what AM. To SSD works in this laptop. It sure seems that it should support the Samsung 950 pro as it is the latest chipset with the skylight processor.

That is odd, because I did not detect anywhere that NVME shall not be supported in this version. Even the retailer told me that I should choose the NVME.
Does a ROG forum have any of ASUS support members?

o2l8 wrote:
I am having the same problem, from what I gather the G552 is different than the gl552,.
I have the GL-552 I'm trying to get the Samsung 950 Pro to work with it. But it appears that it will not support the NVMe drive. I'm still working on looking for the correct drive and what will work. I have yet to find a confirm case as to what AM. To SSD works in this laptop. It sure seems that it should support the Samsung 950 pro as it is the latest chipset with the skylight processor.

I think the OP left out the L in his model number as Asus does not have a G552 (at least not in the U.S.). I have unfortunately found a few websites that leave the L out of the model number as well which confuses things even further. If you have the G -L- 552, your laptop is only compatible with SATA III. The GL series (GL552 and GL752) M.2. expansion slots for the SSD are only PCIe x1 slots. You need at a minimum a PCIe x4 slot to support NVME SSDs. PCIe x1 is only compatible with SATA III drives. The compatible SSD model numbers for the GL552 are: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW) and Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 3.5-Inch SSD (MZ-N5E500BW). There are other brands that are supported, but Samsung seems to be the most popular on the forums.

yoshi3 wrote:
That is odd, because I did not detect anywhere that NVME shall not be supported in this version. Even the retailer told me that I should choose the NVME.
Does a ROG forum have any of ASUS support members?

To answer your first question, yes, cl-Albert is an Asus support member. Before you go that route though, Yoshi, please confirm your model number. Do you have the GL552? If so, your laptop is only compatible with SATA III, see my comment just above. The confusion is an M.2 expansion slot is capable of accepting both SATA and NVME, NVME being the fastest, which is why the retailer would recommend you go with NVME. However, the M.2 expansion slot is a PCIe slot and based on what speed the slot is determines what the slot is compatible with. The M.2 expansion slot on a GL552 is simply not fast enough to support NVME. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Richcraft wrote:
I think the OP left out the L in his model number as Asus does not have a G552 (at least not in the U.S.). I have unfortunately found a few websites that leave the L out of the model number as well which confuses things even further. If you have the G -L- 552, your laptop is only compatible with SATA III. The GL series (GL552 and GL752) M.2. expansion slots for the SSD are only PCIe x1 slots. You need at a minimum a PCIe x4 slot to support NVME SSDs. PCIe x1 is only compatible with SATA III drives. The compatible SSD model numbers for the GL552 are: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW) and Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 3.5-Inch SSD (MZ-N5E500BW). There are other brands that are supported, but Samsung seems to be the most popular on the forums.

To answer your first question, yes, cl-Albert is an Asus support member. Before you go that route though, Yoshi, please confirm your model number. Do you have the GL552? If so, your laptop is only compatible with SATA III, see my comment just above. The confusion is an M.2 expansion slot is capable of accepting both SATA and NVME, NVME being the fastest, which is why the retailer would recommend you go with NVME. However, the M.2 expansion slot is a PCIe slot and based on what speed the slot is determines what the slot is compatible with. The M.2 expansion slot on a GL552 is simply not fast enough to support NVME. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dear Richcraft,

I bought it in Slovenia (EU) see web page below, where it clearly shows the g552VW-cn288t:
https://www.altstore.si/prenosni-racunalnik-asus-g552vw-cn288t-i7

maybe the retailer made a mistake with the naming? However, I did find some other pages which offer the same name and the same configuration.
There is also stated that the slot is PCI-E 4x so in theory this should work with the SM951 M.2.

It is really confusing...

What could also go wrong? Is it possible that the connector between motherboard and M.2 slot is missing? I think this could be the right stuff for Albert 😉

yoshi3 wrote:
Dear Richcraft,

I bought it in Slovenia (EU) see web page below, where it clearly shows the g552VW-cn288t:
https://www.altstore.si/prenosni-racunalnik-asus-g552vw-cn288t-i7

maybe the retailer made a mistake with the naming? However, I did find some other pages which offer the same name and the same configuration.
There is also stated that the slot is PCI-E 4x so in theory this should work with the SM951 M.2.

It is really confusing...

What could also go wrong? Is it possible that the connector between motherboard and M.2 slot is missing? I think this could be the right stuff for Albert 😉

Thanks for the link, that certainly helped clarify some things. Based on solely the outward appearance of the laptop you purchased, it is identical to the GL552 in appearance. It appears to me in some regions the GL552 is being sold as a G552. I noted on the link you provided that it does advertise a 256GB SSD M.2 PCIEx4 as well as an IPS screen. The U.S. model does not have either of these features. If it does in fact have a x4 slot it should work with NVME. There is a pretty helpful thread that covers the SSD booting and installs, maybe you can use it to go back over the steps you have completed so far: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...

One more thing we can do to troubleshoot is to take a look at your actual motherboard slots. There is a program called HWiNFO that would do this for you. I'll post a picture from my PC for comparison. Once you download this program, take a screenshot of the motherboard tab, as shown below. Here is the link for the program: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I recommend you also private message cl-Albert and provide him your laptop serial number, he may be able to confirm for you.

Richcraft wrote:
Thanks for the link, that certainly helped clarify some things. Based on solely the outward appearance of the laptop you purchased, it is identical to the GL552 in appearance. It appears to me in some regions the GL552 is being sold as a G552. I noted on the link you provided that it does advertise a 256GB SSD M.2 PCIEx4 as well as an IPS screen. The U.S. model does not have either of these features. If it does in fact have a x4 slot it should work with NVME. There is a pretty helpful thread that covers the SSD booting and installs, maybe you can use it to go back over the steps you have completed so far: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...

One more thing we can do to troubleshoot is to take a look at your actual motherboard slots. There is a program called HWiNFO that would do this for you. I'll post a picture from my PC for comparison. Once you download this program, take a screenshot of the motherboard tab, as shown below. Here is the link for the program: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I recommend you also private message cl-Albert and provide him your laptop serial number, he may be able to confirm for you.

I agree that this is strange that there are 2 versions G(L)522VW. Thans for the link of the guide. I tried to install Win in the way it is described, however the BIOS still couldn't manage to detect SSD.
I have returned the laptop to the retailer (service), so I cannot try the hwinfo. I hope they will provide me more information tomorrow (will keep you updated).
Thank you also for the suggestions for the cl-Albert.

yoshi3 wrote:
I agree that this is strange that there are 2 versions G(L)522VW. Thans for the link of the guide. I tried to install Win in the way it is described, however the BIOS still couldn't manage to detect SSD.
I have returned the laptop to the retailer (service), so I cannot try the hwinfo. I hope they will provide me more information tomorrow (will keep you updated).
Thank you also for the suggestions for the cl-Albert.

Alright great Yoshi! Please keep us posted.

The service update:
Something wrong with the motherboard (still waiting for the new one to be installed).
SSD disk OK.
Motherboard specs: supports NVME PCI-E 4x. m.2 so this should work.
Link for spec: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/hm170-qm170-chipset-brief...

Damn Asus! What about Asus Reliability and Asus Promotions???
Is it possible to do:
https://asuspromotions.com/uk/en/reliability

yoshi3
Level 7
Dear All,

I have the newest update:
the service ordered the new motherboard (waiting for about more than 3 weeks).
In the mean time I have written an email to the ASUS Support and no answer. However,
today the service guy called me and told me that they are unable to get the motherboard
because the laptop is the one of the newest on market and there is no "spare parts". I
don't buy it tough. Nevertheless, they offered me to choose a new one (their least favourite option)
or to refund the money back, which I have to spend in the same store where I bought the first one.
No explanation about the support of the SSD was not given at all.

Albert checked my serial and there is no support for NVME disk in this motherboard. Only SATA. Me vs. Retailer = 0:1.

Now I'm on the mission for I'm looking for the new options which I already started the thread on the forum. The options are:

https://www.altstore.si/prenosni-racunalnik-asus-g552vw-cn288t-i7 (the same version as the first one, but with SSD disk included. Could you check which SSD is included?

and

https://www.altstore.si/prenosni-racunalnik-asus-ux501vw-fi011t-i7

It would help a lot.

Thank you.