cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially Huge Bug in Maximus VIII Hero UEFI (1302); Need Assistance

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
Has anyone tried setting an administrator password in the Maximus VIII Hero's UEFI BIOS (version 1302)? Holy god. What a nightmare that was. It took me over 20 minutes to get things back to normal.

In truth, you can set the administrator password just fine, but once you restart and try to go back into the BIOS, look the **** out! It'll be like your video card is taking a runny crap and puking into the same bucket.

It basically borks the entire interface once you restart and go back into the BIOS with an Administrator password set. The resolution reverts to something god-awful like 640x480, and the screen doesn't refresh on its own. The only way you can see anything at all is by using the mouse as a "screen refresh" tool. You have to move the cursor convulsively all over the screen just to see which menu you're currently in.

I need someone to help me verify that this isn't just a problem with my system, because if it's not, this needs to get fixed pretty darn quick. If you have a Maximus VIII Hero running version 1302 of the BIOS and aren't afraid of your BIOS potentially puking in your face, then please give me 5 minutes of your time and help me out so that we can help everyone else out. I need to see if this happens on another system besides mine.

The process is this:

I need you to go into your BIOS, but before you do anything else, add Security ---> "Administrator Password" to your My Favorites screen. Afterwards, scroll down to the bottom of your My Favorites and make absolutely sure that it's in that list of favorites. If you experience the same problem I did, then this will make your life a whole heII of a lot easier once you're trying to get things back to normal.

Next, set an administrator password, but for the love of god, DO NOT restart the system yet. Do yourself a huge favor and immediately clear the administrator password you just set, and use only the keyboard to do it. The purpose of this is to familiarize yourself with the sequence of keystrokes that it takes to clear the administrator password. I would set and clear the administrator password like this (without rebooting) a couple of times, or at least until you're confident that you'll be able to clear the administrator password using nothing but the keyboard, keeping in mind that your display will be of little or no use as you're doing so.

Once you've assured yourself of this, put on your waders 😉 and set an administrator password one more time. Once you've done this, restart the machine and immediately go back into the BIOS. If you're lucky, everything will look like it should and we can both say yippee, it doesn't affect everybody (for some reason). We'll deal with that if it becomes necessary.

If not, then you'll have the privilege of seeing firsthand what I was talking about. Move the cursor wildly around the screen as if it's the eraser tool in Paint. The screen will refresh the parts of the screen that are directly underneath the cursor as you're doing this. Use it for what you can, but if your screen looks anything like mine did, the resolution will be so low that you won't be able to see much of anything anyway.

Alright, remember that keystroke sequence you practiced 50 times? Sweet. :cool: Now would be a good time to use it. Use the keyboard to clear the administrator password and then restart the system. Afterwards, go back into the BIOS one more time to make sure everything's back to normal.

That's all there is to it. The whole procedure should take 5 minutes or less. It took me over 20 minutes just to write up this post, so someone's "guinea pig" assistance would really be appreciated. By helping me, you're potentially helping everybody with this same motherboard. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
Over 100 views and not 1 taker? Wow..

I'm sure you could probably just clear your CMOS after it happens too, but then you'll have to reconfigure everything else in the BIOS..

Reneg�de wrote:

Sorry about the lack of enthusiasm... most users do not use this as their system is in a private residence. Plus not many want to test something that actually could cause problems when they don't have the problem in the first place.

That said, I have a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha with bios 1302 and tested this with no issue. I know the boards are different but one would think the base code would be the same considering the series. It may be related to specific graphics cards or CSM setting considering the problem description. I also do not have a SLI setup.

I hope a willing original M8H taker comes along for you.

Reneg�de wrote:

I'm sure you could probably just clear your CMOS after it happens too, but then you'll have to reconfigure everything else in the BIOS..

Don't you save your settings to a profile?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:

Of course, but my logic is that if flashing an updated BIOS clears an OC profile, then clearing the CMOS probably will as well..

NemesisChild wrote:

Was just thinking the same thing before updating to 1302....if I save my profile to an external USB drive, and update the bios, can I restore that profile to the new bios? Or does that create issues due to bios upgrades...

I don't; use the admin password and it sounds like the cpu% issue is just cosmetic. Checking around if any other major issues with 1302 on a Hero.
No SLI here so can't test that item.

BJBBJB

BJBBJB wrote:
Was just thinking the same thing before updating to 1302....if I save my profile to an external USB drive, and update the bios, can I restore that profile to the new bios? Or does that create issues due to bios upgrades...

No. Profiles saved on one revision do not work in another.

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
ondersma80 wrote:
Sorry about the lack of enthusiasm...

No, at all. Thanks for trying..

I do have SLI, so that could definitely play a part in it. Likewise, I realize all too well that most people don't use the admin password. I'm sure a lot of people would be comfortable calling a bug like that a "corner-case issue", but that's simply not true. The administrator password is a fundamental feature within the BIOS. If someone ever does have to use it, they should never have to think about whether something like that is going to :(:(:(:( up their BIOS or not. I really hope someone at Asus is "getting" this message..

Again, thanks a lot for trying. Whether you're a Marine or not, I consider you to be one of the proud and few.. 😉

RenegÉ_de
Level 10
Raja touched on this a while back. OC profiles don't survive BIOS updates, unfortunately. I wouldn't try importing it from a USB device, either. I did this on another Asus board I had a while back, and all it did was bork the interface and cause freezes..