cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Issue ON rAMPAGE v EXTREME W 3.1

Mardigan54
Level 7
During power on from cold boot system will not boot to default boot device. After pressing safe boot switch on board BIOS will load and by pressing F8 in BIOS system will boot to proper drive. System will shut down properly but will not reboot. Have to follow same procedure to boot up. Memory reads fine, all slots are populated. System temperature is in upper 20's and goes to low 30's at high point. Get code 67 when trying to boot . Same occurs with one memory chip and board out of case with Hardrive and video card. Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Pleot
Level 8
Something similar happens to me from time to time, generaly after failed OC. When it happens I will have to go into BIOS, boot section, and change the boot order under BSS because somehow the system changes the order to a non system OS drive...

Korth
Level 14
Rampage V Extreme motherboard manual here.

Ensure the motherboard power inputs are all properly connected. Also connect the optional EZ-Plug if you're running high-end or multiple GPU cards.
Clear CMOS and attempt to boot with BIOS on factory defaults. Do not tweak or overclock anything until your hardware can boot and run stable at defaults.

Q-Code 67 indicates "CPU DXE initialization is started" (but system halted before System Agent DXE and PCI host bridge initializations have started). This suggests to me that your processor is defective or improperly mounted. Or your PSU is woefully underpowered for boot-time surge demand.

Can you list your complete system hardware specs and BIOS firmware version? Is your DDR4 compatible with X99 and listed on the R5E memory QVL?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Rampage V Extreme motherboard manual here.

Ensure the motherboard power inputs are all properly connected. Also connect the optional EZ-Plug if you're running high-end or multiple GPU cards.
Clear CMOS and attempt to boot with BIOS on factory defaults. Do not tweak or overclock anything until your hardware can boot and run stable at defaults.

Q-Code 67 indicates "CPU DXE initialization is started" (but system halted before System Agent DXE and PCI host bridge initializations have started). This suggests to me that your processor is defective or improperly mounted. Or your PSU is woefully underpowered for boot-time surge demand.

Can you list your complete system hardware specs and BIOS firmware version? Is your DDR4 compatible with X99 and listed on the R5E memory QVL?

Video Card Asus GEforce 660 TI, have cleared CMOS, same results, board is not overclocked, PS coolermaster 1200Watt silen pro gold, M emory Crucial Ballistics DDR4 2400, BIOS version 1801, Seagate SSHD 2TB HD, Proc Intel I7-5930K, System will shut down using windows shutdown, problem lies with restart or normal boot, by pressing safe boot button on MB I can get into bios and start system by using F8 within Bios.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
When you initially boot check to see if the drive is still in the boot order correctly.

I have had issues with this board where drives would pop out of bios completely and it was my Memory Kit playing up that was the cause.

Qwinn
Level 11
Is this a new build, or was it running fine and then one day this problem started?

Korth
Level 14
I would try running the system with a standard JEDEC-2133 profile, just to eliminate memory issues. Probably best to run a full memory burn-in/stress test with each individual DIMM (then with all DIMMs populated) to confirm none are defective.

If memory isn't an issue then it seems likely your i7-5930K isn't properly mounted. It's a hassle (and a waste of TIM), but it might be best to completely remove and remount it, checking carefully for any bent pins and obsessing about exactly correct pressure when remounting it. An electrical contact cleaner (like Stabilant-22 or DeoxIT) can make a huge difference on dirty or oily pins, but it won't make much real difference on chemically clean parts.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I would try running the system with a standard JEDEC-2133 profile, just to eliminate memory issues. Probably best to run a full memory burn-in/stress test with each individual DIMM (then with all DIMMs populated) to confirm none are defective.

If memory isn't an issue then it seems likely your i7-5930K isn't properly mounted. It's a hassle (and a waste of TIM), but it might be best to completely remove and remount it, checking carefully for any bent pins and obsessing about exactly correct pressure when remounting it. An electrical contact cleaner (like Stabilant-22 or DeoxIT) can make a huge difference on dirty or oily pins, but it won't make much real difference on chemically clean parts.

This is not a hardware issue, according to Asus Tier 3 support it is a faulty BIOS. This is the third board that was shipped to me, each one had the same issues. Memory was stress tested, CPU is mounted properly. Power supply was checked, no problems there. good voltage throughput. The fact that three boards have identically the same issue should tell you something.

Pleot
Level 8
Yes, it tells me the drive or raid is malfunctioning, have you tried with different drive? You must be the most unlucky person on earth, having three boards malfunctioning in a row while thousands of other people have theirs working nice with their drives...

Have been ASUS user since they started, last board was Rampage IV, no problems whatsoever. Took Power supply to have it tested, it seems that I am getting low voltage output, it's five years old. A coolermaster 1200 watt gold unit. OPrdered new PS,hopefully that Will resolve the issue. Installed AI suite, then kept getting low voltage reports on just about everything affected. Will know within 5 days whether new PS cured the problem.