Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

Can confirm this is ultimate psu solution for g20.

*I just got the 1080ti in my g20cb and have a 750w evga G3 psu powering it (overkill I know).

*Great thing about this power supply is it came with a piece to attach to the motherboard connector, so you don't have to do the wire thing OP did - there's a manufactured piece that does it for you.

*I'm on an i7 6700k and still on the HDD (next upgrade will be an ssd) and got a 18000+ fire strike score. That is doubled from what my gtx970 scored.

*You have to mod the case more than OP did, or at least showed. The cables on the evga psu are thicker than OP's too. Not to discourage anyone from doing it cause it was actually easier than I thought it'd be...and most likely if you've done a ton of research on this then you're not afraid of a case mod.

I'll create a post with pictures later if I feel like opening it up again (or once I get that ssd) but right now I just want to game. *

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

I've used this trick to attach a second (older, lesser) PSU to a system for the specific purpose of running the liquid-cooling pump. A way to ensure coolant would circulate before the main PSU started up the computer and after the main PSU shut it down. I noticed that power consumption (as seen by the Kill-a-Watt meter at the wall receptacle) increased dramatically - it turns out the transformers on both PSUs were causing some sort of parasitic harmonics, not a real problem but I'm neurotically unhappy when I see little things become glaring inefficiencies, lol. This sort of thing wouldn't occur with today's mid-/high-end "smart" switching power supplies.

Make sure both PSUs (and the mainboard) share common electrical ground, ideally all in contact with the metal chassis. There's *always* a little ground leakage, better to have this electrical noise travel a short direct path from PSU-to-metal-to-PSU than to have it flow across other parts of your system.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by KingLouis25 View Post
    Can confirm this is ultimate psu solution for g20.

*I just got the 1080ti in my g20cb and have a 750w evga G3 psu powering it (overkill I know).

*Great thing about this power supply is it came with a piece to attach to the motherboard connector, so you don't have to do the wire thing OP did - there's a manufactured piece that does it for you.

*I'm on an i7 6700k and still on the HDD (next upgrade will be an ssd) and got a 18000+ fire strike score. That is doubled from what my gtx970 scored.

*You have to mod the case more than OP did, or at least showed. The cables on the evga psu are thicker than OP's too. Not to discourage anyone from doing it cause it was actually easier than I thought it'd be...and most likely if you've done a ton of research on this then you're not afraid of a case mod.

I'll create a post with pictures later if I feel like opening it up again (or once I get that ssd) but right now I just want to game. *
    Thanks for your idea mate, seems that only the evga issues PSUs with the tester plug which is a rgeat idea despite being cheap to make...and also it makes sense to use a fully modular psu, so that you only use the pcie ports.....still undecided between the 750w or even a 550w...what do you think? I would say 550w would be enough if only powering a gpu, even if it is a gtx 1080ti (mine is a MSI founder edition).....thanks again..
    Last edited by litania72; 05-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Right, decided that instead of the green pson bridge I will use a good psu tester which will 1. allows me to start the psu 2. tests/monitor wattage and voltage together with whatever it shows, now looking at the thermaltake dr power II....display has backlight, maybe could create some mod with both psu/tester but that is just for aesthetic really..
    Last edited by litania72; 04-30-2017 at 10:24 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by litania72 View Post
    Right, decided that instead of the green pson bridge I will use a good psu tester which will 1. allows me to start the psu 2. tests/monitor wattage and voltage together with whatever it shows, now looking at the thermaltake dr power II....display has backlight, maybe could create some mod with both psu/tester but that is just for aesthetic really..
    for the time being, I abandoned the idea about using a modular corsair rm650x with the thermaltake psu tester to power the gtx 1080ti; read about making sure nothing is plugged in while using the tester...i mean you plug all psu cables to the tester however cannot plug eg a gpu at the same time.....am i wrong?

hope somebody can shed some light, at the end of the day it will benefit 1000s of g20 owners who need sto power up a gts x 1080ti and up + need a good powerful source of power as no laptop psu can reach 500w....read in an article that the peak power draw for the gtx 1080ti is around 400w and more...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Right....past few days i have been awaiting for a full modular corsair rm650x and a 24pin bridge i got from ebay. I then borrowed a dremel to cut a hole at the bottom of my g20aj...not too bad and now there is plenty of space for the 6+8pin pcie cables....the one i got with the psu are though...anyway, run in all sort of issues, for whatever reason the bios settings were all screwed up, at times all hdd would not appear, then restarted in safe mode as i forgot to uninstall the nvidia drivers. Done that but now at times i have no video and pulsating lights, fan speed, not sure whats wrong....

I have just the 180w asus power supply plugged with the corsair psu outside, did others also plugged the 230w power supply?

not sure whats wrong but i hope to fix this soon...not easy really...

ROG Enthusiast Array

salinelle avenue

....back to the dell 330w power supply; not sure what wrong but...

1. bios kept resetting to windows uefi/secure boot
    2. ssd and bios were not detected
    3. when it managed to enter windows 10, once I try to install nvidia drivers it would just reboot over and over again

even when I replugged the internal pcie cables, at first it would hang like it could not find any boot, at the moment it works fine.

by the way, I even plugged teh 2 power supply and the psu at the same time and it worked, however the issues I have listed remained...

oh well, hope somebody is interested in replying soon...will try for a bit then as a last resort (I need to push teh gtx 1080ti to its capacity otherwise why spending such a huge amount of money) will try another psu, then unfortunately will move on to a wall mount pc, however for the time being ill fight to get this run properly.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Right...a bit of time and hours if not days later, I finally did it. Not sure why, but the issue was with the jumper which should be put back on the right so that the pcie power is deactivated from the inside and leave it all to the external psu (I use a corsair rm650x, very good); I not have no issues but still ahve to test everything and also stress-test; temps are ok, not the best (around 70c at full load); will try to mod liquid cooling but not for the time being...too tired.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_184039.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	64459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_182638.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	64460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_154931.jpg 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	64461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_113513[1653].jpg 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	64462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_184436.jpg 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	64463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_180734.jpg 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	64469
    Last edited by litania72; 05-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

on those photos ti still shows the old pcie cables which I have now removed, will still to get a cover for that hole, some rubber thing i suppose as the cut aluminum can cut through cable easily like a knife.

Quantum break on the photo above was set at ultra settings with everyyyyyything maxed out....no other setting left to switch higher...not too bad..
    Last edited by litania72; 05-06-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2