cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use Bluetooth Smart 4.0/4.1 on the Z170 boards ?

the_wee_man
Level 8
I am assuming that Bluetooth Smart (4.0 & 4.1) is the best communication technology to use when or/if you have compatible devices such as the stated options on the Asus Z170 Impact VIII z170 board for example, correct ?

In other words I am asking if its best to use a Bluetooth smart 4.0/4.1 mouse and keyboard with such a motherboard rather than just the normal old style wifi connection ?

Apart from that in your opinion, could you please tell me if I wanted to use such devices then how do I do this as I have never ever used Bluetooth ever, plus can you let me know your own opinions on Bluetooth smart 4.0/4.1 V's standard wifi please ?
10 REPLIES 10

Chino wrote:
Just pair your peripherals and that's about it.

does it require the wifi antenna or is that different tech all together ?

p.s, I have watched some videos, is Bluetooth smart better than traditional wireless technology
that most older external devices use such as keyboards and mice etc etc etc ?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
If you mean the antenna for the motherboard, you will need to connect them.

so realisticly there is no diffrence ? or is there, thats the main thing.

the_wee_man
Level 8
no difference then ? i would have thought something would be either better or worse, hmmm

the_wee_man
Level 8
Ok, sorry, I am going to ask this question again as I have just ordered a state of the art Logitech Keyboard and mouse that both fully support Bluetooth Smart, hopefully they should arrive in post tomorrow.

I dont have a clue about bluetooth apart from the fact that I know roughly it connects devices usually like mobile phones and Tv's etc etc etc.

So, thing is, my ROG Impact VIII has bluetooth smart 4.0/4.1 I believe and as I say the two new devices are bluetooth smart too.

I liked the thought of the bluetooth smart devices as they use much less power because they basically shut off the battery when inactive for a few seconds or whatever it is (in theory).

Anyway, the question is, as I said, my motherboard is bluetooth smart ready and so are the devices, thing is though, I am defo unsure how to connect them to the PC.

Do I still need to use the logitch USB wireless unifying receiver which I always thought was just for normal wireless or does the bluetooth signal simply connect like a mobile phone to another mobile phone for example with no visable antennas etc, I guess what I am saying is could the bluetooth antenna be hidden on the Impact motherboard same as they all are inside mobile phones etc ??

I hope this helps explain things a bit better now, thanks guys.

the wee man wrote:

Anyway, the question is, as I said, my motherboard is bluetooth smart ready and so are the devices, thing is though, I am defo unsure how to connect them to the PC.

Do I still need to use the logitch USB wireless unifying receiver which I always thought was just for normal wireless or does the bluetooth signal simply connect like a mobile phone to another mobile phone for example with no visable antennas etc, I guess what I am saying is could the bluetooth antenna be hidden on the Impact motherboard same as they all are inside mobile phones etc ??

If your motherboard has bluetooth on it, then you can pair bluetooth enabled devices to it. You said you got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse coming in. There should be a sync/pair option on the keyboard and mouse, that when you press it, there should pop up in the bluetooth software on the PC. Make sure to have the drivers installed prior. A bluetooth icon should display in the system tray. Click it and see if the keyboard andmouse pop up, then click around to connect the device to the PC.

I've never paired a keyboard/mouse over bluetooth, but I have with speakers, so it should work in a similar fashion. Check the manual for the keyboard/mouse on how to pair/sync it.

If your mobo has bluetooth on it, you will not need a separate dongle. Bluetooth connects directly to the device, not through your wifi router or a USB dongle type receiver. You'll only need a USB receiver if your motherboard does not have bluetooth built into it. You can either get a USB bluetooth receiver or a standard wireless one that the mouse or keyboard connects directly to.

Try it without the antenna first, and if it doesn't receive any signals, install the antenna, and see if it works. That will determine if the bluetooth is through the antenna or not.

Hope this helps! Check the manuals (on mobo and mouse/keyboard) for further info.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

the_wee_man
Level 8
bump

the_wee_man
Level 8
bump