cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows 10 wont see my MG278Q

Ikes
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

I previously owned a ROG Swift PG278Q which broke after 7 month and there were no replacements at the time so I opted to go for the MG278Q.
Ive currently got an Nvidia GTX760 card but will upgrade to an ATI for the freesync functionality a bit later. The issue that I'm having now is that Windows 10 does not
recognise the MG278Q - All I see is Generic Pnp monitor which offers only upto 120hz refresh instead of 144hz. All my windows updates are
are current and I have the latest Nvidia drivers. The monitor is connected via display port. Anyone know how I can get Windows 10 to recognize the MG278Q?
3 REPLIES 3

samboy87
Level 9
Hi Ikes

i think it's your GTX760 that doesnt support higher refreshrate than 120hz. to be able to use the 144hz, you'll need the 900series.

Korth
Level 14
Other people online report that they can get their GTX760 to 120Hz and 144Hz refresh rates, at least at HD resolutions in Win7/Win8.x.
Both the monitor and the GTX760 support DisplayPort 1.2, 120Hz (or more) shouldn't be an issue on a single-monitor setup. Unless you're using an uncertified and underspec DisplayPort cable.

Although Win10 and GeForce are known to have all sorts of minor driver issues. It's quite possible your GTX760 isn't "capable" of these refresh rates simply because the latest-and-greatest drivers for it aren't optimized for Win10 and DX12 ... let's face it, NVidia and all the game developers are going to debug and optimize current GTX900 Series issues far more aggressively than "old" GTX700 Series issues, so I suspect not everybody's fully on the ball yet with Win10. And WQHD 2560x1440 is a whole lot of pixels (about "2.5K"), so it's quite possible your actual gaming fps won't ever approach or exceed 120Hz (=120fps) anyhow.

I offer a solution here, it works with my PG278Q at 120Hz/144Hz on Win10 Pro, it might work on your system.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Other people online report that they can get their GTX760 to 120Hz and 144Hz refresh rates, at least at HD resolutions in Win7/Win8.x.
Both the monitor and the GTX760 support DisplayPort 1.2, 120Hz (or more) shouldn't be an issue on a single-monitor setup. Unless you're using an uncertified and underspec DisplayPort cable.

Although Win10 and GeForce are known to have all sorts of minor driver issues. It's quite possible your GTX760 isn't "capable" of these refresh rates simply because the latest-and-greatest drivers for it aren't optimized for Win10 and DX12 ... let's face it, NVidia and all the game developers are going to debug and optimize current GTX900 Series issues far more aggressively than "old" GTX700 Series issues, so I suspect not everybody's fully on the ball yet with Win10. And WQHD 2560x1440 is a whole lot of pixels (about "2.5K"), so it's quite possible your actual gaming fps won't ever approach or exceed 120Hz (=120fps) anyhow.

I offer a solution here, it works with my PG278Q at 120Hz/144Hz on Win10 Pro, it might work on your system.

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know what happens. I'm not so sure about the GTX760 not supporting 144Hz though. When I did have the ROG Swift PG278Q it achieved 144Hz without an issue. The DP cable came issued with the monitor so can't be that surely.
Also just FYI I have 2 GTX760s in SLI.