cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get headphones with mic working?

w0rm
Level 7
I have a pair of headphones with a mic that's part of the headphones (Like apple earbuds) And I'm having troubles getting the headphones to register as a headset so I can listen to the audio and talk into the mic at the same time. Could I get some help on this please?
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
If your headset connects through audio jacks - the mono/stereo (green) and mic (red) jacks need to both be plugged in.
If your headset connects through USB or Bluetooth- you need to have the correct drivers for your particular device installed. Alternately, you could try plugging them into a different USB port before booting the machine.

(Always prefer the rear I/O ports on the motherboard instead of any ports built into your PC chassis/accessories when troubleshooting).

If you're using motherboard-integrated audio you may need to enable it with a BIOS setting.
If you're using an audio card, you may need to enable the PCIe/PCI slot with a BIOS setting.
You may need to install a driver for your audio device, if your operating system hasn't done so automatically.

Have you checked through all your control panel (and Realtek Audio) settings? Your system might be configured with "speakers" instead of "headphones/headset/microphone" as your primary audio device, or your microphone might be entirely disabled/muted by default.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

edmak1804
Level 7
Once plugged in, right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. This will bring up a menu.
Click Playback Devices
This will bring up a list of all audio devices, some my conflict, you can right click and enable, disable, make primary etc (i usually make my headphones primary, then when they unplug windows auto selects your speakers or monitors.
Same under the 'Recording' tab