cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum HDD size Limitations for G53SX, can it support a 1tb hdd?

Bulwyf
Level 7
Hi

I wanted to know if my g53sx can support a 1tb hdd, the asus page shows only support for 750gb hdd max, but it doesn't say
anything about a bigger hdd. And also, i wanted to know if it will work well if i add a 3rd hdd replacing the optic drive with a caddy.
3 REPLIES 3

Almighty1
Level 9
I have a G74SX-3DE and I'm running a 2x2TB Samsung Pro850 SSDs on it. The G53 is supposed to be the G74 with a smaller screen. I think it depends on the OS you use too and if you can use 750GB, it will work at 2TB since the next limitation starts at 3TB. As for your other question, not sure since I believe the optical drive might use a slower controller than the primary controller.

Almighty1 wrote:
I have a G74SX-3DE and I'm running a 2x2TB Samsung Pro850 SSDs on it. The G53 is supposed to be the G74 with a smaller screen. I think it depends on the OS you use too and if you can use 750GB, it will work at 2TB since the next limitation starts at 3TB. As for your other question, not sure since I believe the optical drive might use a slower controller than the primary controller.

Thanks for the reply :D, indeed the G53SX is the smaller G74, i read in other forums that the optical drive does use a slower
controller, but i thought that it only could be a problem if you put an ssd on the caddy, which it wasn't my idea, i just wanted to use it with a regular hdd for mass storage, but i'm not sure of that. At least my main concern is answered. Thanks for the help :D!

Almighty1
Level 9
Yeah, I really don't know the answer to the optical drive one so take that one with two huge grains of salt. 🙂