cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

860m strange performance

MaxCioco
Level 7
So lately I have been having a strange "performance" out of my laptop in gaming.

When the laptop is turned on a while (usualy 4-5 hrs or more) the video performance drops. As a concrete example: cs:go med settings when laptop fresh started (or restarted) I get like 140 fps. If I use the laptop for 4-5 hrs and then I start the game I get anywhere from 40 to 90 + tons of stutters. How come?

I sort of figured out why: the gpu does not "rev up" to it's max, but what it does in staid is running with ~50% of max frecv on both memory and core clock. Temps? When running at 140fps ~65 degrees and while when it refuses to run somewhere around 45 degrees.

I didn't do any changes to any driver nor I updated windows. Nor did I install new programs.

And now comes the really weird part: if I ask from the gpu to run 3d rendering intensive tasks in open cl it can and will run with every resource it has, heating up to 85 degrees and performing flawless.

So, my question is, did anyone experience anything similar or the same thing? Oh, and I have a new windows install done clean 3 months ago. First 2 months 0 problems.

Note: after restart the usual performance kicks back in, though a restart when the problem is "active" takes like 2-3 minutes. I do have a Samsung 850 pro ssd, so no problems there.
3 REPLIES 3

navis995
Level 11
Try going in Nvidia Control Panel and set GPU to always run at maximum instead of adaptive.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

MaxCioco
Level 7
Done that since the windows reinstall, also I have selected the dedicated gpu for every task that it can take.

update NVidia drivers and NVidia experience. i've noticed that when a newer version is available the performance drops to 50% lower(. Driver update solved my issue. Good luck!