cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you switch SSD boot drives?

ATR-42
Level 9
when i first got my GL752 i took out the 7200 RPM HDD and stuck in the 256gb SSD from my old G75. it was just a regular 2.5mm SSD. Then later, I installed a Samsung EVO 850 m.2 ssd. here are the benchmarks. im not totally sure what im looking at but i think im seeing roughly double the performance... im curious of the performance differences between these two drives is worth taking the time to swap which one is the primary drive.

what do you guys think? is it worth swapping the windows install and doing this all over again? should i leave it as is? would there be any real noticeable gains? right now the machine seems plenty fast for me on boot ect...

Here is the old 2.5mm SSD

and the m.2 benchmark....
i9 14900k, z790, GTX 4090, Azoth
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
Honestly Im a bit surprised of why you didnt make the M2 the boot disk in the first place. Even in their infancy they were faster than the the 2.5 inch drives.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

ATR-42
Level 9
because im a dumbass, and didnt have the m.2 drive before hand.

ATR-42 wrote:

LMAO, honesty, now there is a nice fresh approach you dont see much of here. :cool:

Where are you at on the Jersey Shore? Im in Princeton but have a seasonal campsite in Jackson with an RV that stays there, too damn big to be towing around. Right smack between Great Adventure and Point Pleasant.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

ATR-42 wrote:

It's up to you if a few seconds on your boot time, and a slightly better response time with the programs you decide to install on the M.2 is worth the effort. If you're happy as is, then leave it alone.

ATR-42
Level 9
Thank you guys. I didn't know enough about the m.2 performance till I tested the two. I think I can live with it if it's just a few seconds. I wasn't sure how those benchmark differences would turn out in the real world, if it was worth the trouble of starting over again.

I'll just start putting the applications on the m.2 instead now. Wish I had planned this out better.

Re:Justin, small world, I live in point pleasant!

Yes it would take about less than 15 minutes or faster to clone your 2.5 over to your M.2, Macrium Reflect seem to be error free and free. I think in real world the M.2 will be much faster. According to your Benchmarks the M.2 is writing about twice as fast this will matter with large files if your doing any Video or Photo or CAD stuff at all. Here is a video that shows you how Insure that you boot the USB Boot device UEFI.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro