cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Gene PCI-E TV Card Not Working. HELP!

redmist
Level 7
I have just upgraded my HTPC/gaming PC to a Maximus VIII Gene and unfortunately my PCI-E Digitalnow Quad TV Tuner card does not like this motherboard. The 4 tuners are detected fine and appear fine in the device manager but if I change channel a few times, the entire PC freezes and I have to hold the power button down to recover.

I have tried UEFI 402, 907 and 1302 but no luck. I have tried removing all other peripherals and using the onboard graphics but it makes no difference. I have tried every PCI-E slot on the board and they all have the problem.

The card works fine in my desktop Asus Z87M-Plus and in my friend's Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H - all PCs are running Windows 10 x64 with all the latest updates/drivers.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is it a problem with all RoG z170 boards, all Asus z170 boards or all z170 boards in general?

This is a deal breaker for me. Do Asus offer refunds for these sorts of problems?
2 REPLIES 2

Menthol
Level 14
Does the computer have the same problems without the TV card installed? Is there any manufacturer firmware updates for the TV card?

I have never used a TV tuner card myself, there is another post or 2 I have seen on these forums but I have no idea if there issues were ever resolved

Yeah, other than the PCI-E card not working, everything else appears fine. I just saw the other thread where somebody mentioned various PCI-E TV cards not working in a different RoG Z170 board. Some other people claimed that an older UEFI version worked but I doubt it. The problem does not appear to be resolved and is probably not receiving much attention from Asus.

I think I'll just try to get a refund from the retailer because the Gene is way too expensive to have lying around hoping for a fix though I'd like to track down a different brand Z170 board to see if they all have the problem. I might try installing Windows 7 first because Intel's Windows 10 chipset drivers seem a bit sloppy this generation too.