ROG Enthusiast Array

Asus GL752VW RAM upgrade help?

Hi guys. So I'm thinking about getting the RAM upgrade for the gl752, comes with a DDR4 2133Mhz 8GB ram, more concretely a SK Hynix, and I think they don't sell to public markets. So, given the fact I can't get the exactly same ram, I've been searching for one.

In the specs web, says it holds up a DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, but the term SDRAM is a thing I can't understand; SDRAM's are much bigger than the one this laptop is holding. Anyway, the port is a SODIMM. Here's a pic of my laptop I took when I was about to install the SSD;

http://i63.tinypic.com/152nls1.jpg

So, the one I lay my eye on;

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX421S13IB_8.pdf

About 40-60€. Does anyone know any other brand making this new DDR4 at a better quality/price?

Thanks!

ROG Member Array

SDRAM is used in both laptops and desktops. The difference is in the package desktops use DIMM SDRAM laptops use SODIMM SDRAM. DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module and SODIMM is Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module.
    I have the Hyper-X in mine and it works just fine. I was always a fan of Corsair but the Kingston is just as good. You can also look at G.Skill to see if their price in your area is comparable.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Here are some other brands:
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?...~256_1x#xf_top

Beware of the ECC RAM
    Last edited by Otot; 01-07-2016 at 07:43 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Stooo View Post
    SDRAM is used in both laptops and desktops. The difference is in the package desktops use DIMM SDRAM laptops use SODIMM SDRAM. DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module and SODIMM is Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module.
    I have the Hyper-X in mine and it works just fine. I was always a fan of Corsair but the Kingston is just as good. You can also look at G.Skill to see if their price in your area is comparable.
    Thanks for that explanation. I wasn't really fan of kingston as the hardware I've touched of it was low-ended, but this med-high end RAM seems way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Otot View Post
    Here are some other brands:
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?...~256_1x#xf_top

Beware of the ECC RAM
    Nice web, thanks! I've looked up a bit and seems that in my region the price moves in the same interval of 40-60, mostly 50€ for the memory. So I'll probably jump onto the kingston.

What do you mean by "beware" with the ECC? You mean to take a memory with ECC tech or not to take it?

Thanks!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Take a memory without ECC. ECC RAM is primarily used in servers and workstations. And not many consumer motherboards support ECC RAM. But I'm not so firm with that. Stick to RAM without ECC and all is fine.

Greetings
    Last edited by Otot; 01-08-2016 at 11:28 AM.

New ROGer Array princev1r PC Specs
    princev1r PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3770k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 16GB 1600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 760 Striker
    Graphics Card #2GTX 760 Striker
    Storage #1Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
    Storage #2SanDisk 128GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i
    Power SupplyOCZ 1000w
    OS W7 Home Prem.

2133 vs 2400?

I'm bumping this thread momentarily...

Is there any real difference if I actually did put 2400 RAM in the GL752? Or should I just be smart(and save my money) and stick with the 2133 and just go straight to 32GB? I'm only looking to upgrade since I have spare change lying around... Thanks in advance!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by princev1r View Post
    I'm bumping this thread momentarily...

Is there any real difference if I actually did put 2400 RAM in the GL752? Or should I just be smart(and save my money) and stick with the 2133 and just go straight to 32GB? I'm only looking to upgrade since I have spare change lying around... Thanks in advance!
    Same question for me!!

https://www.amazon.es/HyperX-Impact-...rds=b01bnjl8qg

That is the one I am looking for buying.

Is that right?

Regards,
    XAKO

New ROGer Array

My experience

I bought DDR 4 2400 RAM from Amazon yesterday -- Everything I've read said that it should work; however, the laptop won't even boot with it.

Could be I got a couple of bad sticks or it could be the GL752 is extra finicky about it b/c of overclocking or whatnot.

I've got two 2133's coming tomorrow -- will report back (All 4 sticks have been pretty generic ones from Crucial)...

r

Quote Originally Posted by xako View Post
    Same question for me!!

https://www.amazon.es/HyperX-Impact-...rds=b01bnjl8qg

That is the one I am looking for buying.

Is that right?

Regards,
    XAKO

New ROGer Array

2133's worked

The generic corsair sticks at 2133 seem to work.

Once installed, I've run a passmark memtest86.... Runs hot (89c), but no errors with all 4 sticks.... Now off to tackle upgrading the SSD!

Quote Originally Posted by therenix View Post
    I bought DDR 4 2400 RAM from Amazon yesterday -- Everything I've read said that it should work; however, the laptop won't even boot with it.

Could be I got a couple of bad sticks or it could be the GL752 is extra finicky about it b/c of overclocking or whatnot.

I've got two 2133's coming tomorrow -- will report back (All 4 sticks have been pretty generic ones from Crucial)...

r