cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUIDE to enable "voltage control" in MSI Afterburner

Dreamonic
Level 12

INTRODUCTION

If you've installed MSI Afterburner before (usually on a notebook) you'd remember it didn't have GPU voltage control. There are unsupported desktop GPU models that require certain workarounds to have voltage control as well working in MSI Afterburner. So this isn't just limited to notebook GPUs.

Simply put, there is a way to get it unlocked for a notebook GPU, but it is limited to +100mV (modified vBIOS allowable) using the fix we are going to apply below.
You can read more about this here.

So how does this benefit you when using MSI Afterburner?

• You can monitor the GPU voltage in the OSD now, which wasn't available before.

• You can use a modified vBIOS with an increased base voltage that allows the "fix" (voltage control) to utilize the remaining 100mV of overvolt in MSI Afterburner, allowing it to be the primary OC utility.
  • If you aren't looking to do extreme overclocking/overvolting (with a modded vBIOS but limited to +100mV).

ENABLE VOLTAGE CONTROL "FIX"

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]

VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner
Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

This "fix" isn't new to overclocking with MSI Afterburner, it's just not a popular topic among notebook users.

Also, when I mentioned, "
You can use a modified vBIOS with an increased base voltage that allows the "fix" (voltage control) to utilize the remaining 100mV of overvolt in MSI Afterburner, allowing it to be the primary OC utility" I am referring to having your vBIOS base voltage modified to 100mV below the suggested max voltage for your GPU. You can also adjust the core/boost clocks appropriately to take advantage of this to where it's stable, then flash these vBIOS values. Should you want to use MSI Afterburner as the primary OC utility, you now can since you can adjust voltage the remaining 100mV should you need to max out your overclock.

Note: Raising your base core/boost clocks and voltages to workaround this idea means you will likely run at higher load temperatures since you are no longer using stock vBIOS clocks and voltages, all the time (except idle states).
18 REPLIES 18

thetanaz
Level 7
This is awesome man.What about modding the vBIOS.Any guides about that? Thanks.Also what have u done with your GPU to get it to 1450/6000?I am guessing modded vBIOS.How does it run at those frequencies?What are your thermals?I got a pretty stubborn chip and I can't even get the core clock past +100hz without it crashing with no voltage change that is. Thanks in advance

Saipher
Level 7
Thanks for sharing this!

My Power Limit and Temp Limit are locked. How can they be unlocked? I am using 4.2 MSI Afterburner on 980M and 359.06 drivers (the newer would not install on my rig, no matter what I tried).

Dreamonic
Level 12
@thetanaz

What model of notebook and GPU do you have? If you'd like a modded vBIOS, you can PM me. I modified my vBIOS to run at those clocks/voltages. It stable. It runs around 65-72°C with my intake mod (give or take a few). Did you overclock your memory too when you did the core +100 or did you test JUST the core clock itself?

@Saipher

You bet.
What model of notebook is your 980M from, G751 or G752? They can be unlocked with a modified vBIOS. if you'd like one, PM me. Regarding the display drivers, what happens exactly when you attempt to install them?

Dreamonic
Level 12
@thetanaz

What model of notebook and GPU do you have? If you'd like a modded vBIOS, you can PM me. I modified my vBIOS to run at those clocks/voltages. It stable. It runs around 65-72°C with my intake mod (give or take a few). Did you overclock your memory too when you did the core +100 or did you test JUST the core clock itself?

@Saipher

You bet.
What model of notebook is your 980M from, G751 or G752? They can be unlocked with a modified vBIOS. if you'd like one, PM me. Regarding the display drivers, what happens exactly when you attempt to install them?

Dreamonic wrote:
@Saipher

You bet.

G751JY. I suspected that it needed modded BIOS. Not sure if I want go that war, so far +135MHz (=1261MHz) core and 6000MHz memory (according to GPU Tweak) have been enough for me (~9500 firestrike score with some XTU tweaks also).

The display driver install always ends up with "Installation fails." I can't remember which step it was exactly, but I tried it several times, with and without using DDU. Since I am having some other (unrelated) problems with the laptop, I am suspecting these are caused by upgrade-from-8.1-to-10 and I am planning to do a clean install of Win7Pro/Win10Pro dualboot in near future.

Dreamonic
Level 12
@thetanaz

What model of notebook and GPU do you have? If you'd like a modified vBIOS, you can PM me. I modified my vBIOS to run at those clocks with a voltage of 1.187v. It stable. It runs around 72°C with my intake mod (give or take a few). Did you overclock your memory too when you did the core +100 or did you test JUST the core clock itself?

@Saipher

You bet.

I have the JY model with the 980m.My GPU never goes above 70C but I've seen my CPU go to 85-87 with it being undervolted to -60mV.What I'm worried about is that my GPU will transfer extra heat to the already not well cooled CPU through the heatsink.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Okay.

It's not necessary but the gain IS there if you do. Once you get near IIRC, 1300-ish and 1.1v, does the power limit start reaching 100%+ at stock power limits set in the vBIOS. Which basically either A) results in throttling (core/voltage) or B) blackscreening and will require a hard restart to fix (no biggie).

I have had myself a problem when going from Windows 8.1 (installed all my drivers) to 10 (upgraded later on) when I finally wanted to update my sound drivers. It kept thinking Windows 10 was 8.1 and would give me "Unsupported OS" error message which was retarded since the drivers were for Windows 10 but the drivers I had installed were from when I was on 8.1. They never installed after that! So I did a clean install of 8.1 (no drivers installed) and then to 10 and everything took afterwards. So it is possible with your display drivers to have a similar problem like that. Nothing like a clean install from time-to-time anyway. Kind of odd even using DDU and still it failed. Hmmm..

Saipher
Level 7
This is offtopic, but: I am having also problem with the mic jack. Realtek HD audio recognizes that something was plugged in the jack, and I can choose "Mic in" from the the popup. But still, when going to recording devices, there is only the laptop builtin mic there and no new mics. No headset that I have tried has worked. And all of them work in another Win7Pro laptop. I asked about this in another thread and since no one else has reported the same issue, I am again suspecting this might be something that can be fixed with a clean install. After win 8.1 upgrade I had to install several drivers again, because the upgrade screwed something. For example nvidia drivers were not at all in Win10. Of the realtek drivers, I have tried several versions, including all the latest they release on their ftp. I have also tried the 8.1 versions and the windows HD audio, and nothing gets the headset mics working. But as the software recognizes something gets plugged in, I don't think it is a hardware issue.

As a curiosity, with your graphics performance, I would like to hear what kind of FPS you get in Planetside 2, if you have it installed? (Free to play, can find it in Steam).

Edit: Can you get core to the mentioned 1300-ish without modding vBios? I thought +135Mhz is the limit? Or is that limited by the tweaking softwares?