cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q and NVIDIA 3D vision?

Freesurfer
Level 7
I keep reading all over the place that the ROG Swift PG279Q is not compatible with 3D Vision. Some suggest that this is just because it doesn't have an IR emitter and is therefore not particularly "designed" for 3D and therefore won't claim to support it. However they suggest that an external USB one SHOULD work with G-sync deactivated just like it will on any other generic display.

Others outright say it simply means it won't work.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this, and can tell how well it works. If anything, why would it not work? Are the IPS pixels too slow to switch between left-eye and right-eye frame to make a good image? Display too dimm?
5 REPLIES 5

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Tried it on mine, does not work. Nvidia 3D vision does not detect it as a 3D display. I have the nvidia usb emitter as well.

The PG279Q is MORE than capable of running 3D Vision but Asus blocked the feature ON PURPOSE so that they can include it in the next version of the monitor and give an incentive to upgrade. This is the same slimy tactic Apple uses to get people to upgrade.

Korth
Level 14
I think NVIDIA 3D Vision is embedded (along with some other NVIDIA display technologies) into the NVIDIA G-Sync module. These modules are apparently only rated for 120Hz and Asus somehow interlaces two modules (in a way they were not really designed to operate) to achieve 165Hz in the PG279Q.

I think the problem is that Asus was unable to properly implement 3D - or at least unable to implement it without substantially increasing unit cost or modifying the NVIDIA modules - not that Asus deliberately blocked it. But I don't have a PG279Q and haven't done any takeaparts, so this is a bit of speculation.

3D Vision can't operate >120Hz anyhow - not without also increasing the shutter frequency of the 3D glasses.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hmm I see. I wouldn't really have any problems running it at 120Hz if I had to as most games probably won't exceed 60Hz in 3D anyway. But it's sad that it cannot be detected as a 3D display. I didn't even know that was a requirement, as all it really does is alternating between 2 images

Any idea if there may be any workarounds for that, such as editing the driver info to make it look like a 3D display?

Korth wrote:
I think NVIDIA 3D Vision is embedded (along with some other NVIDIA display technologies) into the NVIDIA G-Sync module. These modules are apparently only rated for 120Hz and Asus somehow interlaces two modules (in a way they were not really designed to operate) to achieve 165Hz in the PG279Q.

I think the problem is that Asus was unable to properly implement 3D - or at least unable to implement it without substantially increasing unit cost or modifying the NVIDIA modules - not that Asus deliberately blocked it. But I don't have a PG279Q and haven't done any takeaparts, so this is a bit of speculation.

3D Vision can't operate >120Hz anyhow - not without also increasing the shutter frequency of the 3D glasses.

You're 100% wrong. There are other monitors with the EXACT gsync module and they run 3D Vision perfectly fine. Besides, Asus does NOT design anything related to Gsync modules. They follow a reference guide from Nvidia. Dont even get me started about how the panel is IPS and not fast enough for 3D. The panel is MORE than fast enough at 4ms response time. Heck it runs even at 165hz.

Secondly, the PG279Q does NOT use two gsync modules. Thats laughable to even think that. All you have to do is look at the reviews and see there is ONE module. Plenty of reviews show the monitor disassembled.

There is NO reason for this monitor not being able to run 3D Vision other than Asus disabling the feature on purpose as an incentive to get people to upgrade in the future.

aeliusg
Level 7
From what I can tell, 3D is simply dead, and ASUS didn't bother to license and implement the feature (which requires some extra work on the part of the engineers), and Nvidia themselves have probably phased it out on their end. The PG278Q was the last 3D monitor, and even the newer TN models no longer have the 3D Vision certification.