cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII U.2 RAID Question

Robert427
Level 7
I am considering the purchase of a Maximus VIII. I would like to use a pair of Intel 750 SSDs. One U.2 and one PCIe. Is it possible to set up a RAID 0 like in this ROG article but use the U.2 connector rather than the M.2 connector?

http://rog.asus.com/447422015/labels/guides/guide-install-m-2-pcie-ssds-in-raid-0-for-speed/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
Robert427,
Pretty new tech and no one I know has tried that here, please read the motherboard manuals carefully as not all ASUS boards support this type of raid, only a couple.
In my mind and from what I have researched the speed increase from one of the fast drives to 2 in raid is not worth the hassle, but I am very interested in seeing results from someone else so if you do this please come back and report your results
Good Luck

squawker
Level 11
Hi Robert and Menthol,

From what i’ve searched and tried, in the Z170 ROG line, M8R and M8H are unable to set up a Raid0 config: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?80625-Hero-A-disappointing-Hero

I suppose, reading its manual, that M8E is able to set up a raid array and, again from manual, it is unclear if M8H Alpha supports raid, because its M.2 slot and PCIEX4_3 slot cannot be enabled at same time supporting raid remapping. I think that is possible to set up a raid array in M8H Alpha using the M.2 slot and one U.2 connector (probably U.2_2).

I think ASUS, like other brands, should have at least one ROG mobo with 2 M.2 sockets supporting raid arrays, since the U.2 connector is not very friendly and usual at moment.

Some benchs with 2 x Samsung 950 PRO:

Regards

Sorry double post

Thanks Menthol & squawker. I should have mentioned that I am interested in the M8E. According to the ROG article I linked in my first post, the M8E is capable of M.2 RAID using the M.2 connector and one of the PCIe slots.

I appreciate the input. I would be less than thrilled to be the guinea pig to try this with the U.2 connector and a PCIe slot. I would like to get confirmation that it works. Although I believe it will work as the M8E will disable the M.2 connector if the U.2 connector is occupied. And vice versa. I don't know if the BIOS has that option to choose the U.2 connector as part of the RAID as described in the ROG article.

Thanks again for the input. I will continue to look for the answer to this question.

Robert

Just providing an update on my earlier question. I successfully installed 2 Intel 750s in an M8E. One is connected to the U.2 port and one is in the PCIEX4_4 slot. I was able to set them up in a RAID 0 array and it all works as advertised. I used the guide linked in the first post of this thread and substituted the U.2 connector where the guide used the M.2 connector.

Robert