cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluray drive replacement for GL552vw

doriondo
Level 7
Can someone please recommend a bluray drive I can buy to replace my dvd drive in my GL552? I've been searching and have not been successful in finding a replacement drive for my Asus.
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
The Panasonic Corporal recommended (same source even) is what I used in a G74sx and a G751JL. The only thing is you will have to reuse the bezel on your stock drive. They are held on by plastic tabs that are a little tricky but not to hard to replace.

I snapped a few pics over here

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you. I will buy the drive and post here to confirm if it worked for me or not.

Drive arrived over the weekend, tested and confirmed to work with my GL552. Thank you again for the info provided!

doriondo wrote:
Drive arrived over the weekend, tested and confirmed to work with my GL552. Thank you again for the info provided!

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Fipser
Level 7
Does the drive also work with the GL752VW? i'm just curious about that, maybe i want to replace the dvd drive too! Does a drive just need to be a 5.25" (9.5 mm height) UltraSlim type with SATA or only specific models supported?

Thanks for this! I've been hoping to replace the internal drive with a Blu-ray ever since I found out it had one (I didn't notice it in the specs). Is it fairly easy to replace?

JustinThyme
Level 13
While I cant say with 100% certainty, the 9.5mm drive should fit any ASUS ROG made within the last several years.
The 9.5mm utraslim should be the same across the board. In the end, they are all Panasonic. Even if you look at the model numbers of others you will notice the same UJ-262 for the BR.

Hardest part of replacing them is taking the plastic trim off the tray of your current drive and putting it on the new one. They come with a flat generic trim on them that will not match up. Even from ASUS model to model they don't match up. Just a little patience and some small tools to release the plastic tabs. The drive is actually held in by one screw. See link in my post above for a few pictures. How much effort it take to get to the single screw that holds it in is dependent on what model you have.

One thing to note is that none of the standard players support Blu ray. Sony has those codecs locked down tighter than a goats bunghole. VLC supposedly has a solution, its open source. I messed with it for quite awhile and was unsuccessful at getting to to playback correctly, always something was hosed up. Cyberlink Power DVD work like a charm but it also comes with a price tag. Chances are if your machine didnt come with a BR they didn't include anything to play it either.