cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible that Asus could make external gpus adapters possible?

w0rm
Level 7
I was watching some ces coverage from Linus the other day and I saw him cover an egpu adapter from Asus for their laptops. Would it be possible for them to make one for their g20 series desktops for so users can sorta upgrade their system without having to void their warranty?
2 REPLIES 2

InfernoStorm
Level 10
I'm pretty sure the eGPUs are only available for laptops, for desktops you can just upgrade to actual desktop graphics cards which are more powerful and has much high data bandwidth through much faster PCI-e lanes so it kind of makes no sense for them to do this. I think the main issue is that there will be very low demand and unfortunately if you want to upgrade the G20, you do have to do it by voiding the warranty.

Paul_Jandali
Level 7
There are quiet usable external PCIx cases for Thunderbolt 1.2 and will be even better for 1.3 but can you see Thunderbolt at your G20AJ ?
(TB 1.3: Razer "Core", Asus "ROG XG2")

Anyway those cases are not cheap at all, f.e. the Sonnet Echo Express III-D case that can take up a full length full width card ist about 750€ at least, if you´re lucky.

Besides this would kill the "super-compact" concept more or less, I would prefer a regular PC then which is just a little bit bigger but offer a ton of comfort and features in absolutely any way which the G20 does not.