cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Ram problems.

Oxmo81
Level 8
My first post and my first ROG motherboard.
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Motherboard. 2x Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 2800MHz 16BG KIT total 32GB Ram.

The problem is. Everything works fine until I'll try to play a game.
Then everything seems fine, but after a few minutes I get FPS drop's.
Have tried XMP Profile 1 and 2, manually set timings and voltage. And other settings in the bios, but nothing seems to help.
I always loade optimal defults before changing settings in bios. Some settings seems to speed up windows, like faster startup and faster startup for games. I have newer had a BSOD with the ROG motherboard.
Have also tryed 1,2 and 4 ram chip sepratly and in difrent ram slot's.

I had a Saberthooth Z170 Motherboard and used the same ram, but this motherboard was DOA and I got RMA.
Is it posible this motherboard did some thing bad with my ram modules?

Thank you in advance for your help 🙂
34 REPLIES 34

Chino
Level 15

It is 2 kit, but it is the same type and have the same timings. Yes I have tryed with only 1 of the kit's.
Serial number is only 1 difrent so it is from the same produktion line. one serial number ends in 003 and the other 004.

Chino
Level 15
Here's a nice read when you have the time: Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview

And since you've tested your system with a single kit and the problem is still occuring, I'd expect that your problem is caused by something else. FPS drops can be caused by a lot of factors that are not always hardware related. When you say FPS drops, what exactly do you mean? And are you experiencing this problem in other games?

Thanks for the link to: Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview. I'll shal reed it soon 🙂

FPS drop I mean. I can start a game and have over 100 FPS, then it drops to around 30 FPS and under. And it makes the games laggy.
This happens with all the games I have tested like Dying Light, Far Cry 4, Word of warcraft to name a few games.

This happens regardless of whether I use 1 kit or 2 or only 1 ram chip. And it does not matter which ram slot I choose.
Does not matter how many settings that I do in bios either.

All drivers are new, and it have the latest bios 1302.
Now I am helpless and hope someone can help me. I do not know what to do to fix the problem.

If this is not a hardware issue, how to fix it, when all the drivers are as freh as possible?

Have tryed Vsync Disable and enable, have also tryed to disable everything possible and turned the graphich to lowest settings.
This have been tested with 1 kit and 2 kit's of ram. But it does not help.

Thank you for all the help and tips Chino 🙂

But I think it's time to give up and sleep it off. And contakt the seller tomorrow and ask to change my ram to a new kit or something.
Every thing is new, and it shuld not be a problem to get a refund or a change of ram kit.

One thing is for shure. I can not have a half working computer.

No I have not eny Asus software innstalled. I feel that Most of Asus software is bloatware, and not necessary.

Oxmo81 wrote:
No I have not eny Asus software innstalled. I feel that Most of Asus software is bloatware, and not necessary.

Well I do have Sonic Suite 2. I need sound 😛