cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G20CB-B10 ... M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD...more questions than answers...

1bad50
Level 7
Hello to ROG...obviously a newbie here...first computer I ever touched was a PDP-11 back in high school in 68...been mess'n with Amiga stuff since the 80's...still buy & sell antique collectable Commodore hardware on eBay...and so it was time for a new PC...came real close to building my second...until I saw this very nice G20CB-B10 w/Windows 10...love it...And Now...I want FAST...I want M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD fast...according to Asus ROG G20CB website that little connector should be there...I know, I know, yes I'm a little chicken to break that seal covering the screw that allows you to open the case for warranty purposes...info on this unit is all but non-existent...I've called Asus tech 3 times..."No it's not"..."we'll get back to you"..."it must be, we couldn't advertise it otherwise" :D...SiSoftware Sandra says "M.2----none"...I finally found an M.2 setting in the BIOS...getting tired of Googling...Hoping the Pro's here can help me out before I paste that warranty sticker on my toilet...here goes...

1.) Does the G20CB-B10 have a M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 connector on the motherboard ??? Have you seen one ??? Can you post a jpeg??? Where is it located ???

2.) There seems to be different M.2 key configurations, widths, lengths... What fits this machine ???

3.) Is this machine NVMe compatible ??? Does it need an update ??? Where do I find that ??? Did not see it on Asus Support Site...Can I use SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW ???

4.) How do I transfer the recovery files to a flash drive ??? Want the M.2 to be the OS / programs drive...saw an article that said Windows will need to have two SATA drives dedicated...huh ??? I have not found a legit manual for this machine...

Many thanks in advance...
26 REPLIES 26

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yes there is a m.2 on your motherboard, your gonna have to break the warranty sticker to get into the machine and find the m.2 on the motherboard. I have the G20AJ and its not on that so I can't help unless I buy one myself lol. the ssd m.2 should work, and yes rufus to load the recovery image on to a usb drive.

Well...we finally took this puppy apart...amazing how Asus engineers fitted this together...and yes...it does have a M.2 connector...it's under the optical drive mounting tray... which pretty much requires complete disassembly...will get back when I decide on a course of action...
This obviously makes the "CB" the machine of choice...:)

Now...do I use the Samsung 950 Pro ???
or...
the Intel 750 w/Asus Hyper Kit U.2 connector ???
Hmmm....

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
well you put the U.2 in the M.2 connector and then run cables to the ssd, but you have a slot for a SSD. your better off buying a M.2 ssd to put direct on the motherboard and your get 4-5 times the speed then via sata cable

The U.2 Asus Hyper Kit allows the installation of the Intel 750 SSD which is a PCIe Gen3 x4 drive. It is not a SATA drive. Thus giving you the same awesome speeds as the M.2 drive on the motherboard. The Intel 750 is superior in the area of iop's, will not be throttling back due to heat issues and has a 1.2tb model...

1bad50 wrote:
The U.2 Asus Hyper Kit allows the installation of the Intel 750 SSD which is a PCIe Gen3 x4 drive. It is not a SATA drive. Thus giving you the same awesome speeds as the M.2 drive on the motherboard. The Intel 750 is superior in the area of iop's, will not be throttling back due to heat issues and has a 1.2tb model...

which means for a 1.2tb will be pricey I guess

where did u purchase your G20 CB ?

Best Buy...
Daniel Webster Hwy.
Nashua, NH
They had a nice display set up in the gaming section along with the playstations & Xbox. Machine was running with the asus ad video. It has also been offered on their website...

Ravenholme
Level 7
I find it cool that the new CBs have the M2 slot. i wish the AJ's had it. but that wouldn't severely affect my setup. Added the Sasmung SSD back then, Glad i got what i did back then. My system is still running smooth. not planning to upgrade anytime soon. Love the 980Ti as well.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
well there is a slot for a ssd but oh course not as quick as a m.2 slot, yeah I was gutting also. yeah the 980ti is a amazing card, just keep a eye of them temps and your be ok 🙂