cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 TouchPad not working GL552 VW

Stephilosophy
Level 7
Hi all,

I am in great need of making my touch-pad to work. I installed win7 my GL552VW because the software I need for work won't run in Win10 nor Win8. I couldn't find the driver for my touch pad. None of the smart gesture driver works on my machine in win7.

These are what I've tried:
1) use the driver for win10 for this particular model ---> error: part of the installation didn't end as expected.
2) use the driver for win8.1 for GL552JW ----> error: part of the installation didn't end as expected.
3) use the driver for win7 for some other model ---> error: smart gesture doesn't support your device.

BTW, the ATK driver works fine on my computer.

Now I suspected that these may be caused by my CPU (i7-6700 with skylate). I've been through tones of articles online about getting the touch pad to work. But all of them are using the models with CPUs older than i7-6700.

Is there anyone out there who is able to get the touch-pad working for WIN7? If any ASUS staff sees this, please talk to the tech department and help us fix the problem.

Steph
24 REPLIES 24

BVr77
Level 7

BVr77 wrote:
Hi, if your touchpad is a synaptics try this driver for Win7/64 from Asus:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Synaptics/Touchpad_Synaptics_Win7_64_Z162105.zi...

and for Asus Smart Gesture for Win7/64 this link:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_AsusSmartGesture_Win7_64_VER2214.zip

1) I use the synaptics driver and it tells me that
"no synaptics device is found"

2) I use the asus smart gesture driver and it tells me that
"Asus smart gesture does not support your device's touch pad function"

BTW, the asus website offers asus smart gesture driver for this computer too! Even though they only provide drivers for win10 ONLY, I am confident that Asus smart gesture DOES support the function for my touch pad.

I have been looking into this issue online. It seems that it is a long existent issue and it is yet to be resolved.

Why can't we know the manufacturer of the touch pad and install the driver independent of Asus smart gesture?! I don't really need all those fancy stuff. Just that I can use the touch pad as a mouse will be sufficient!

Julskey
Level 10
Why not use virtual pc? I think you can run windows 7 in windows 10. I used to have windows xp run in my windows7 using oracle virtualbox before.

Julskey wrote:
Why not use virtual pc? I think you can run windows 7 in windows 10. I used to have windows xp run in my windows7 using oracle virtualbox before.

I have three HUGE applications that only run on windows 7 and sometimes, it requires them to run at the same time.

That is why I choose re-install windows 7 over using a virtual machine on windows 10.

And now that I have wiped my ROG GL552 clean and installed win7 on it, I don't want to go through all the trouble to re-install win10 and a virtual machine for win7.

BVr77
Level 7
on my laptop the name of the manufacturer is in "device manager" Under "mice and other pointing devices"

for synaptics here is the link for Win7 driver directly from this manufacturer:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v17_0_19_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Acme_Inc...

BVr77 wrote:
on my laptop the name of the manufacturer is in "device manager" Under "mice and other pointing devices"

for synaptics here is the link for Win7 driver directly from this manufacturer:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v17_0_19_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Acme_Inc...

On my laptop, it has "HID-compliant mouse" under the same node "mice and other pointing devices". Shouldn't it be Asus touch pad?

BVr77
Level 7
no, mine say "Elan input device"

i've just looked in my Asus Smart Gesture folder (i use V 4.0.9) and there is all the installation from Win7 to Win10 in X32 and x64.
so the PB doesn't come from this software.
i have V 4.0.12 but not installed yet.

BVr77 wrote:
no, mine say "Elan input device"

i've just looked in my Asus Smart Gesture folder (i use V 4.0.9) and there is all the installation from Win7 to Win10 in X32 and x64.
so the PB doesn't come from this software.
i have V 4.0.12 but not installed yet.

So I installed the synaptic driver (the one that is downloaded directly from the manufacturer). The installation process was quite smooth and in the end, the application tells me that the synaptic device is ready to use. But yet, I can't use my touch pad!

The other thing is, I finally found an version of ASUS smart gesture that will allow me to install successfully. By successfully, I mean during the installation, it doesn't throw exceptions such as "smart gesture doesn't support your device". The setup tells me to restart the computer to make it take effect. Of course, I restart my PC and the touch pad still won't work.... GEEZ...

BVr77
Level 7
asus smart gesture found your trackpad with the synaptics original driver.

FYI i also took a look at my ATK package folder v1.0.0041and the Win7/64 is also present.

what is your ATK version ?

is your device manager still say :"hid mouse" ?