cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Confirms Skylake crash erratum - What is ASUS going to do?

xator
Level 8
Hi there,

As a Skylake user, I'm worried about this new that has just appeared: Intel claims that AVX processes may freeze Skylake processors. Here's source:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2016/01/11/intel-skylake-crash-erratum/1

Intel says that this problem is fixable by updating microcode, so, as an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero user, I'm afraid I should ask: What is ASUS opinion on this matter, and How are they going to proceed?

Sorry for my english, and thanks for your time.
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
xator wrote:

What is ASUS opinion on this matter, and How are they going to proceed?

Release a BIOS that fixes Intel's mess.

Chino wrote:
Release a BIOS that fixes Intel's mess.

Has ASUS officially stated that? I mean, I hope so, but haven't seen any official press reference about it.
It would be nice to know what MicroCode number is the one Intel releases for the fix.

Menthol
Level 14
Give them a little time, ASUS is typically very good at bios releases and this is an obscure issue that will not affect most peoples daily use

Menthol wrote:
Give them a little time, ASUS is typically very good at bios releases and this is an obscure issue that will not affect most peoples daily use

I think that's not entirely correct. There are several games that already use AVX instructions. Codemaster's GRID Autosport, DIRT Showdown or several others even have a different executable file to use AVX specifically. And new incoming console emulators do, in fact, make use of it, like Xenia, which requires AVX to work, or PCSX2's backend video plugin. So, It is not a so obscure issue.

I know that is an Intel problem, I'm just worried about whether ASUS is applying their fix soon or not. It would be an enormous disappointment to have a brand new PC with this kind of errors right at its brief life.

As always, sorry for my english, and thanks 4 your time!:)

Vlada011
Level 10
Reading other topic before few days and I found this, same from Intel...

Hello All,
Intel has identified an issue that potentially affects the 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products. This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

I think Skylake owners should be calm, no reason for panic. Only I stay with my previous statement that Skylake should grow up first and with
Lewisburg will become monster. For now Haswell-EP is better option because Intel treat them different and chipset cover longer period with much better Processors compatible with 2011-3.

misterbeam
Level 7
Might explain why my PC crashes a lot when playing rFactor 2 😄

Really good news cocnerning Asus releasing new bios to fix this mess 😉

Vlada011
Level 10
You will see when Skylake find new prime number... 🙂

Praz
Level 13
Hello

There are very few programs an no games that use the AVX instructions as Prime does. Also to reproduce this error with Prime requires a specific configuration and worker set. It is unlikely the normal user will encounter this error. ASUS will be releasing a UEFI version that addresses this specific issue though.

Praz wrote:
Hello

There are very few programs an no games that use the AVX instructions as Prime does. Also to reproduce this error with Prime requires a specific configuration and worker set. It is unlikely the normal user will encounter this error. ASUS will be releasing a UEFI version that addresses this specific issue though.

I hope you are right. 🙂