cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY NVME Support 950PRO

winyl
Level 9
I just found out G751JY, and maybe other with M2 slot, support 950Pro.
I have connected to G751JY with bios 2.11 950PRO 512MB.
Then I copied main HDD to 950pro with minitool patrition manager.
After copy of Hdd was made I noticed that I have second boot option "Windows Boot Manager" and one option that always has been there "Windows Boot Manager P3 HGST (type of Hitachi HDD)" that come standard with G751. I changed this with shift+ so the "Windows Boot Manager" is the first one. Now 950pro boots the G751 every time, and the boot time is just ridiculous. Just 5-7s from power button to desktop. Yay it works!
So there you have it,the full story. I am now installing now Samsung nvme driver and Samsung magician.
There is only one M2 port on G751 and you can not make raid. If you must have two 950pros in raid get G752 :).

You do everything with your own risk.If you break something or if it does not work with your G751 do not blame me for it.
I can make a detailed guide how to install 950pro in G751jy maybe the next weekend.
I noticed there is slow read/write performace. I dont know why.
II'm running windows 10 version 1511 in UEFI mode and GPT partition format. This is standard install on G751jy updated from windows 8.1 to 10. Well the write performace is good but read pefrormace is slow. I have read the MSI forum. They have there also problem with slow read/write speeds with samsung magician on win 10.They say samsung will be releasing ver. 2.0 nvme driver to fix this issue on win 10. Let's hope Samsung will do so soon.
28 REPLIES 28

Gps3dx
Level 12
winyl wrote:
I just found out G751JY, and maybe other with M2 slot, support 950Pro.
I have connected to G751JY with bios 2.11 950PRO 512MB.

Thanks, Nice of you to try this out and report here.

I already referenced, few weeks ago, a WIN-RAID forum's thread claiming that any intel serie 6 and up can theoretical support NVMe through simple BIOS mod - As some bios missing the NVMe EFI ROM module.
Thus if the bios contains that NVMe EFI ROM, hence the laptop should support NVMe SSD - if it got a m.2 physically on the motherboard.

With the help of UBU tool from Win-RAID forum I confirm that BIOS 211 of the G751JY has already builtin, official from asus, a NVMe EFI ROM module.
Even so - I confirm the following G751 Serie models SUPPORTS NVMe ( i.e have NVMe EFI ROM Module built in officially from asus )

• G751JY - Bios version: 211
  • G751JT - Bios version: 211
  • G751JL - Bios version: 205
  • G751JM - Bios version: 206

Thus, if you're lucky to have a revision with the m.2 socket -> NMVe supported SSDs should work on your laptop.

About the slow R/W speed- if possible - do NOT use MS NVMe driver.
Use intel's or samsung's ( when they solve their own driver problem ) - you can get them from HERE.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:

Thus, if you're lucky to have a revision with the m.2 socket -> NMVe supported SSDs should work on your laptop.
proof ( G751JY - Bios version: 211 )

Here is my UBU v1.45 scan of 2.11 G751jy BIOS. The G751jy bios is Aptio 4 so I do not know what bios scan you have posted.
I can not see any NVME driver in 2.11 bios.
OK I'll try with nvme driver recommended by win-raid.
From what I have read on MSI forum it is a problem with Samsung NVME driver exclusivly on Windows 10 home?,but performance was at rated spec when benchmaked with Windows 10PRO. they say there Samsung will be realeasing NVME driver v2.0 to remedy this problem on win 10.

winyl wrote:
Here is my UBU v1.45 scan of 2.11 G751jy BIOS. The G751jy bios is Aptio 4 so I do not know what bios scan you have posted.
From what I have read on MSI forum it is a problem with Samsung NVME driver exclusivly on Windows 10 home?,but performance was at rated spec when benchmaked with Windows 10PRO. they say there Samsung will be realeasing NVME driver v2.0 to remedy this problem on win 10.

Frak, I think you're right...
When I used UBU tool I think I didn't cleaned the cached folder created after the 1st bios I tried - which was from the G752... which are Aptio V based and NVMe supported...
so when I loaded G751's bios's the ubu actually re-read the G752 on... BAH....
nontheless - we can try to insert the NVMe module into the bios - and even more good news is that G751 based on Aptio IV not V - thus there are much more tools to mod the bios.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hello i have an asus g751jy with bios version of 2.11 and a pcie slot installed. i'm confused after reading multiple threads will a 950pro work or not as a boot drive?

winyl wrote:

OMFG.... Hello there winyl... :rolleyes:
Can you please share with us the BIOS you successfully managed to mod ? ( see ref HERE... I guess as you got the same username here... you're the same "winyl" in win-raid for... :o:o:o

• Which G751 model have you modded ? Y / T ?
  • what modules have you deleted from the exsiting bios ? ( is it only Mtftp6D ? what module is that ? )
  • what bios version have you modded ?
  • what NVMe EFI ROM module ".fss" file have you used ? ( uncompressed / compressed / without header )
  • Which tool did you used to flash the modded bios ? is it same tool to backup current bios ?
  • After flashing - did you change any bios configuration ? Do you see NVMe when you enter BIOS -> advanced->sata configuration ?
  • what's the story with "I have to flash my backup of bios chip with "nvram program" to get back keyboard backlit" ? what steps & exe required ?

As you might be the 1st G751 user that actually have working NVMe - Can you please share your files & make a short guide so others with the other model of G751 can do so also ?
I guess this thread will be a *HOT* & sticky thread soon...
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just a little input.
While the BIOS and even motherboard on the JL and JM may support NVMe they do not support the M2 form factor unless you have some mad modding skills and can source the actual connector as the slot is not cut out and there is no connector on the board and therefore they are incapable of supporting the 950 pro. I had the idea of trying an M2 drive early on with a JL but noted the case does not have the access cut out. Before I went to breaking out a dremmel I opened it up and saw no connector either.

Top photo shows JL MOBO, Bottom show JY denoting the absence of the connector in the JL.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Just a little input.
While the BIOS and even motherboard on the JL and JM may support NVMe they do not support the M2 form factor unless you have some mad modding skills and can source the actual connector as the slot is not cut out and there is no connector on the board and therefore they are incapable of supporting the 950 pro. I had the idea of trying an M2 drive early on with a JL but noted the case does not have the access cut out. Before I went to breaking out a dremmel I opened it up and saw no connector either.

Top photo shows JL MOBO, Bottom show JY denoting the absence of the connector in the JL.

well... of course you're right... if one doesn't have the M.2 connector - no bios mod in the world would help to get NVMe support.
The thing is that if asus sold officially, even in part of the countries, a G751JX ( X=Y,T,L,M ) with m.2 ssd - there's a chance that you might have the m.2 connector, or if you RMA and the lab decide to change the motherboard to a newer one -> there's a chance that you might get a newer/older revision of the motherboard - that might contain a m.2 connection...
There is a lot of if/but/might here...

What is certain is that asus officially inserted into the G751 serie an EFI NVMe ROM module - which is one of components necessary to get NMVe support on these laptops.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

joshindaphils
Level 11
Do we have people using the 950 w/o issues reported yet?

This is the first Ive heard on the G751 but there are plenty running it on the G752.
Its all dependant on what you call issues. The Samsung Magician and Samsung drivers dont work, not even with a SATA 850 SSD. Seems the Samsung software is having problems seeing past the Intel raid controller. The Stock SM951 NVMe comes without Samsung software or drivers and works just fine as do all others that are using OEM drives. The Samsung software is consumer marketed. I can set up my machine for optimization and leave 10% unalocated space for oever provisioning without Samsung software and Im getting every bit as good performance as reviewers that have the drive on a platform where the software works. Native drivers take care of trim and trash.

Gps3dx wrote:
well... of course you're right... if one doesn't have the M.2 connector - no bios mod in the world would help to get NVMe support.
The thing is that if asus sold officially, even in part of the countries, a G751JX ( X=Y,T,L,M ) with m.2 ssd - there's a chance that you might have the m.2 connector, or if you RMA and the lab decide to change the motherboard to a newer one -> there's a chance that you might get a newer/older revision of the motherboard - that might contain a m.2 connection...
There is a lot of if/but/might here...

What is certain is that asus officially inserted into the G751 serie an EFI NVMe ROM module - which is one of components necessary to get NMVe support on these laptops.

Im more than sure that the mother boards are pretty much identical. Only the missing M2 connector because you didnt pay for it and different GPU. If I happen across a JY MOBO being sold off you can bet Ill snag it up and put it in a JL and take a dremel to the case where the connector goes.

You can also plainly see the missing VRAM chips, sockets are there, just empty.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein