- Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake CPU
- Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 2x8 GB RAM kit
- Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 Geforce GTX980 graphics card
- Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor
- Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 512 GB SSD
- SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1 TB harddisk
- Windows 10 Pro

Problem:
Sometimes (more or less around 50%) when cold booting my PC, the PC is booting directly into the UEFI BIOS (without me hitting any keys) instead of booting Windows from the SSD. When leaving the BIOS without making any changes and without saving, the PC will boot again into the BIOS. I can only leave this when exiting AND saving (without making changes). Then Windows will boot normally.

So currently it's using Windows normally, shutting down the PC, turning it on the other day and then it may be booting into BIOS instead of booting Windows.

Any ideas what could cause this problem? The PC is never cut off from power supply when being shutted down by the way.
31 REPLIES 31

Menthol
Level 14
Do you have the correct drive set as primary boot device, disable any other drives as boot devices in the bios

I've just checked this:
Besides my two DVD-Drives there were "Windows Boot Manager" (on the SSD) and the SSD itself registered as Boot Devices. Now I have disabled the SSD itself as a boot device, only the Windows Boot Manager is registered as a bootable device on 3rd place after the DVD drives. At the moment it seems to do the trick, I'll let you know if not. Thanks meanwhile!

It's a Logitech K290

NemesisChild
Level 12
When it boots directly to the bios, are all of your drives missing?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I’ll post this in my own thread if people think it appropriate, but I’ve the same problem as amyristom, albeit much more intermittent, which makes it hard to pin down. I would be very grateful for any input.

Configuration:
- Asus Maximus VIII Ranger (BIOS 1102)
- Intel 6600K (@4.4GHz)
- Noctua NH-U14S air cooler
- Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB(XMP3000)
- MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G(stock)
- Crucial MX100 256GB (firmware MU02, hot plug enabled)
- EVGA Supernova 750 G2
- Cherry compact keyboard
- Logitech MX518 gaming mouse
- Belkin Nostromo n52 keypad
- Windows 10 Home retail (hibernation disabled)

I’ve run a lot of tests over some months. My impression is the problem is more likely to occur with the OC profile above, but it can definitely occur with everything at defaults. I’m certain the n52 is one culprit. But it’s occurred without the n52 (rare). My concern is it may be leading to other issues.

@amyristom Did disabling the 2nd boot device work for you? I tried that and it didn’t work.

@NemesisChild I’d be very interested in your reason for asking if the drives go missing in the BIOS. That’s definitely a feature (I have only two boot options: 1 WBM(SSD), 2 SSD). There are no other SATA devices. But hitting F10 boots Windows normally, even though no boot device is listed.

amyristom
Level 7
@Olivetree:
I thought disabling the 2nd boot device would work, but today the PC was booting directly into BIOS again.

As @NemesisChild suggested I've checked the shown boot devices and suddenly all hard disks (including the SSD with Windows 10 on it) were missing completely, only the two DVD-drives were shown. After hitting "save & reset" the PC booted fine again.

Again: There is no OC done on the machine!

Has anyone an idea what can cause this behaviour?

NemesisChild
Level 12
I asked above because I had the same problem with it booting directly to the bios and the drives missing.
I would have to load defaults and then re-enter the bios to recover my OC profile.
It was random and would only occur on a cold boot.
This was on a completely 24/7 stable system (but see further comments below).

The problem has since gone away and honestly, I can't really explain why.

It stopped happening shortly after two major events:

1. Updated to bios 1302
2. Switch out memory sets

I never changed my CPU overclock settings or attempted to OC my memory.

I would suggest first updating to bios 1302, if a no go: run your memory on auto settings (2133MHz) to test.

I tested 4 sets of TridentZ memory in the past several weeks.
To say the least, this platform is extremely sensitive to memory frequency & timings.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

amyristom
Level 7
I've already updated to BIOS 1302 since it came out in December. But it seems that I've got some other problems with my current (Crucial) RAM (please see my other threat here), so this RAM will be replaced in the next few days with RAM which is on the official QVL. Maybe these problems are no more then, too.