cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skylake i5 6600 stuck at 800mhz

LethalTiger
Level 7
I have a brand new Maximus VIII Hero, i5 6600 skylake, and all the other goodies, GTX 970, corsair 750, etc.

I noticed my pages were loading slowly in Chrome, then my frame rate was low in the 30s to 40s when it was in the 70s. My last chip was two levels back from this one. I have the ROG Suite III software and started the overclock process. The Suite showed in one place that I was at 4800mhz 4.8 ghz at a 48 multiplier, but my voltage never moved beyond .752 and the core clock stays at 799 to 801 no matter what the load. On benchmarks, my Windows Experience shows a 6.3 for the processor when all other numbers are pegged. On Cinebench, I'm at the bottom and 3dMark on Strike Extreme I'm at the bottom with a score similar to a three year old PC.

No matter what I do in the Bios, I can't get the core clock to move. I have half a dozen types of software monitors and it's still at 800. I've watched every overclock video and made every change I can, CMOS clearing, etc, but no luck.

Please help! Do I need a new board or what?

All software is up to date and I'm on Windows 10 64bit.
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello LethalTiger and welcome to the ROG forum.

Check to see the slow mode switch on the motherboard is switched to off.

Also try setting the windows power plan to high performance I think you need to do this for the magician software for Samsung ssd's.

Nate152 wrote:

Also try setting the windows power plan to high performance I think you need to do this for the magician software for Samsung ssd's.

Did that and cleared the CMOS and there is no slow switch on the motherboard.

LethalTiger wrote:
Did that and cleared the CMOS and there is no slow switch on the motherboard.

Correct.

Please look for the LN2 Mode jumper that's near the last PCIe slot and make sure that it's in this orientation.

Chino wrote:
Correct.

Please look for the LN2 Mode jumper that's near the last PCIe slot and make sure that it's in this orientation.

I changed the LN2 jumper which is for liquid nitrogen and no difference.

LethalTiger wrote:
I changed the LN2 jumper which is for liquid nitrogen and no difference.

Are you running the latest BIOS? Besides AI Suite III, do you have any other ASUS utility installed?

Nate152 wrote:

There is no slow switch on the Maximus motherboard.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
That's odd, there was someone else recently that had the same problem but I can't seem to find the thread but he was able to solve it.

Maybe try updating the BIOS to the newest one and see. Have you tried going into advanced power settings and changing the minimum processor load to 100% and see if it can actually run at the correct core clock? If even that isn't able to make it run at the proper clock then it's definitely something to do with settings in BIOS.

InfernoStorm wrote:
That's odd, there was someone else recently that had the same problem but I can't seem to find the thread but he was able to solve it.

Maybe try updating the BIOS to the newest one and see. Have you tried going into advanced power settings and changing the minimum processor load to 100% and see if it can actually run at the correct core clock? If even that isn't able to make it run at the proper clock then it's definitely something to do with settings in BIOS.

I have tried every bios setting and no changes. I'm ordering and MSI Z170 M5.