- Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake CPU
- Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 2x8 GB RAM kit
- Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 Geforce GTX980 graphics card
- Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor
- Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 512 GB SSD
- SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1 TB harddisk
- Windows 10 Pro

Another "booting questions":
I am experiencing booting problems with Windows 10 when Fast Boot in Windows is activated. When activated I am able to shut down my PC properly but on the next cold boot Windows 10 is booting shortly and then runs into a black screen after 3-4 seconds of booting. After manually turning off the PC and restarting it, everything will boot normally (except that it is a normal Windows boot process then and no fast boot any more).
I am curious if some settings may be wrong in my BIOS so that fast boot is preventing from working correctly somehow.

So which settings in the BIOS have to be set to make Windows 10 fast boot working properly? What else could prevent fast boot from working?
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15

The shown QCODE when the screen goes black while booting is "40". Has to to something with waking up from S4 sleep mode if I am note mistaken according to the mainboard manual?

amyristom wrote:
The shown QCODE when the screen goes black while booting is "40". Has to to something with waking up from S4 sleep mode if I am note mistaken according to the mainboard manual?

Correct.

Are you running the latest BIOS for the motherboard? And do you have any of the ASUS utilities installed?

NemesisChild
Level 12
If that's an older Corsair 650w PSU, it's probably not certified Haswell/Skylake ready.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

It is indeed an older power supply (maybe 4-5 years old). But how could this affect the mentioned problem? The PC is starting, Windows is beginning to boot yet when shortly after 4-5 seconds the screen is becoming black.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Haswell/Skylake have specific wake up/stand by coding, thus the need to be Haswell ready.

PSU components degrade over time, usually quicker with these cheaper units.
4-5 years old is nearing the end of it's life span. If it were me, I would be replacing it pronto.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

amyristom
Level 7
Ok thank you!

amyristom
Level 7
I am using BIOS version 1302 and Asus utilities are installed (using the software versions which were the latest in December 2015).

mdzcpa
Level 12
Is that memory listed on the QVL? I believe the only 2x8GB memory listed on the QVL for the M8H was of the 2133mhz variety. Fast boot will struggle if your memory is not spot on out of the box. The memory training is needed.