cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Thunderbolt Version Help

bobcat95
Level 7
I am completely new to posting so please dont be too harsh. So I am trying to figure out if my G750JW BBI7N05 has thunderbolt 1 or 2. I have searched hours to find the answer to this question, including over an hour on the phone with ASUS (who could not tell me which version I have.) Apparently ASUS put multiple motherboards in this same model laptop and could not tell me which one I have, which I think is rather strange. CPU ID can not verify my motherboard model and neither can my system information ( it just shows a blank space where model should be). So ASUS can not give me the information I need. Any suggestions? The reason I am going through this is because I am interested in purchasing an Akitio Thunder2 to run an external GPU
3 REPLIES 3

InfernoStorm
Level 10
You just need to check if your DisplayPort is 1.1a or 1.2 as Thunderbolt 1 is with DisplayPort 1.1a and Thunderbolt 2 is with DisplayPort 1.2.

I appreciate the reply, but how can I determine my display port version? All of the software I have tried leaves both thunderbolt and display port out.

AAndrei
Level 8
Sorry, you just said some new stuff to me, but I've never heard that Asus released notebooks in G750 or G751 series with TB2.
All of them were with TB1 I think. And now the new series with TB3 using a USB Type C connector.

Why are you asking for TB2? What made you asking such question? Why does this matter to you anyway?

For eGPU use I can tell you that I've stumbled into some issues with my laptop, don't know if the root cause was from thunderbolt adapter (Sonnet Echo express) or video card (GTX 680) or the laptop itself (G750JW).

Too see the Thunderbolt VEN\VID I think you need to connect something to it, otherwise it will stay hidden.
You can also raise the palm rest and look what is written on the chip.