cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW USB TYPE C Question and Connecting Additional Monitor?

cvele88
Level 7
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I have couple of questions about GL552VW and it will be great if someone can help me
1) What can I use USB TYPE C? Can it be use for connecting additional monitor in extend mode?
2) If I can not use type c port for additional monitor is the any other way to connect to external monitors in extend mode?

Thank in advance
19 REPLIES 19

cvele88
Level 7
can anybody help me?

JediRhymeTrix
Level 7
cvele88 wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I have couple of questions about GL552VW and it will be great if someone can help me
1) What can I use USB TYPE C? Can it be use for connecting additional monitor in extend mode?
2) If I can not use type c port for additional monitor is the any other way to connect to external monitors in extend mode?

Thank in advance

The USB Type C port is basically a USB 3.1 port which uses a Type C connector interface (it's reversible and all that).
That being said, USB 3.1 itself has plenty of uses. It has a maximum transfer speed of 10MBit/sec and can be used with an adapter to split into upto 4 USB 3.0 Type A ports (regular USB).
It also supports daisy chaining of upto 2 monitors using DisplayPort. So, you can use that to connect a monitor or two in whatever configuration you like. (or just get a DP to HDMI adapter and connect a TV.
Lastly, it can support upto 100 watt of power output to a compatible device although it cannot be used to charge the laptop itself like the new MacBook.

guliver707
Level 7
Well for me it is a no go as display port getting an error message USB device cannot be set up I know it is a new technology but wondering if display port has been implemented or maybe we need a new firmware on the previous model the plug for mini display port was there it has been replaced by USB 3.1 but like I said I am not sure if the Dp 1.2 is functional
asus need to clarify this issue before I return this laptop

guliver707
Level 7
Well just got the reply from support exactly what I had thought Sorry, USB3.1 Type-C port on this notebook deletes DP function, "so you can't use this adapter to output external monitor's images. Thank you for understanding!" I must say I am more than disappointed by this!

Fipser
Level 7
1) USB-Port (Type C) is used to connect flash-drives like USB flash drives or external SSD's and HDD's or any other kind of external devices (Smartphones, Tablets, ...)

2) You can connect and externally expand your display with TV's and other monitors via HDMI-HDMI- or miniDP-DP-cable (DP for DisplayPort)

Hi, could you please help me.
Also bought asus gl552VM, thinking that Usb 3.1 Type-C would support external display.
Thinking i would be able to plug in first monitor via HDMI, and another one via Usb 3.1 Type-C (type-c to hdmi adapter).
But as i can see it's not possible. Very disappointed with this fact.
Is there any way to plug in second monitor (excluding it's own)?
Thanks.

Isn't this port supposed to support external monitors with only a single connection as in the port will power and provide output?

Also in the future this port should be capeable of supporting addition full desktop graphics cards similar to the razor graphics enclosure?

zhulbert wrote:
Hi, could you please help me.
Also bought asus gl552VM, thinking that Usb 3.1 Type-C would support external display.
Thinking i would be able to plug in first monitor via HDMI, and another one via Usb 3.1 Type-C (type-c to hdmi adapter).
But as i can see it's not possible. Very disappointed with this fact.
Is there any way to plug in second monitor (excluding it's own)?
Thanks.

Isn't it the skylake processor's standard to support type c 3.1 ? If it's so, then could it be the driver issue to enable the function?
I had to return a belkin type c vga adaptor as there was a device not recognised error. It stated to check the cable, but now I understand the real issue.

The USB 3.1 on GL552VW model doesn't have Thunderbolt. This is coming straight from the product specification. The Skylake processors do support Thunderbolt but it doesn't work that way. These processors also support 64 GiB of RAM but the GL552VW supports up to 32 GiB only.
ASUS RoG GL552VW-CN430T
Intel i7 6300HQ
16 GiB DDR4
128 GiB SSD + 1 TiB 7200 RPM HDD
NVIDIS 960M 4 GiB
Windows 10 64-bit