cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Blinking Battery LED [Solved]

Boulingrin
Level 7
Hello there,

I've got a one year-old G751JY. Today when launching a random game, the fans suddenly started working real loud, as never before, for no particular reason. Then the battery LED started blinking green and orange. Might have been cause the day before, I switched off the computer in a hurry when noticing some elements overheated up to 80°C after only 10mn of The Witcher 3 (game was running smooth on screen though. Anyway).

Aside from the fact I'll never play this game again, I tried a couple things including uninstalling/reinstalling the battery drivers from the device manager. Now the LED is blinking orange only.

Now battery won't charge anymore, and judging from the sound the computer made when the LED started blinking, I think it's dead.

The thing is, I don't want to send my computer in support nor repair cause my warranty is expired (2 weeks too late) 😄 and I'd like to try by myself removing and replacing the battery before making any expense.

Heard it's impossible due to the fact it is a built-in, non-removable battery on this model.

So two words : help please!

Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

NitroX
Level 10
Don't worry mate! It sometimes happens due to the power management of the laptop. I've had a lot of trouble with blinking leds while I was working with the NBFC. So here's what you have to do: Restart laptop -> When RoG Logo appears press&hold the power button for like 10secs (during the time you will see the battery led going off and then back on ) -> then just start your laptop and you'll see that everything works just fine.

NitroX wrote:
Don't worry mate! It sometimes happens due to the power management of the laptop. I've had a lot of trouble with blinking leds while I was working with the NBFC. So here's what you have to do: Restart laptop -> When RoG Logo appears press&hold the power button for like 10secs (during the time you will see the battery led going off and then back on ) -> then just start your laptop and you'll see that everything works just fine.

JESUS CHRIST ! Sorry.

It works!

How the ***?

Man I've spent the whole day on the internet and on the phone with customer service and I couldn't find a solution.

Thank you soooo much ! :))

No need to remove the battery anymore. I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned:))

Boulingrin wrote:
JESUS CHRIST ! Sorry.

It works!

How the ***?

Man I've spent the whole day on the internet and on the phone with customer service and I couldn't find a solution.

Thank you soooo much ! :))

No need to remove the battery anymore. I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned:))

This actually happens quite often to ASUS Models. Well, it's like a common problem over here on the forums but it's not like it is going to occur too often. I just had this problem cause I messed with the laptop's fans while using NotebookFanController. The heat from Witcher 3 shouldn't be a problem since the system can handle up to 95C on CPU, and at that moment it will first throttle the CPU to like 3000Mhz in order to let it cool down. So the weird fan behavior might have come from an issue with the Embedded Controller where the fans, battery, temperatures, sleep mode and all these things are being controlled.

NitroX wrote:

That worked! Thanks! I was worried I was going to have to tear the sucker down again!

EdMuse wrote:
That worked! Thanks! I was worried I was going to have to tear the sucker down again!

Actually, that worked temporarily. The problem has come back several times in the past few days. Flashing orange and green battery light, battery reading full charge, charge percentage not going down with usage on battery. Fun fact: the charge reading is also saying I have 10 hours of charge on the battery. Ten hours of battery life is a pipe dream on a machine like this!

NitroX wrote:

Totally worked on my JT variant. Same issues as OP pretty much. LED started blinking, but it happened while I had it charging when powered off. It would read as 86% charged or 108hrs+ available. The battery reports would say the same thing with no additional info. When I would remove the AC it would just shut off. After doing the trick it read the battery properly and started charging! I have already replaced the battery before and am glad I don't have to again so soon.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If the battery is toast it should still work plugged in unless the battery is shorted which can load down the power adaptor rendering the machine useless.
Just keep in mind that is ASUS can replace the battery, then so can you. Its just not as easy as in the past.

HERE is a tear down video of a G751 that shows where the battery is. Should not be too difficult to get it out. Havent had to replace it myself and as much as I like the fellow members Im not pulling my machine apart again just to see how the batter comes out. The video shows how to get to it and anyone who is capable enough to change the battery should be able to figure it out from there. Just a couple of screws and one connector I believe, maybe some double sided tape.

There are plenty of places to source them, just do a search. OEM batteries go for around $130 and generic for $75, I always pay the extra to get the OEM just so I dont have issues with the battery being read by the system, happens a lot!

Blinking orange usually denotes the battery is too hot, or at least thats what its supposed to mean. Not always the case. Bad drivers can do the same thing.

Alternating green/orange means there is something wrong with the charging system, but again this can be false.

First thing is to double check your power adapter is working, should be getting ~19-20VDC out of it. If that is good then move on to looking closer at the battery. The normal thing to do is to remove the battery and as much of a PITA as I know its going to be I would still recommend following the procedure to save yourself from the expense of a new battery if not needed.

Shut down, remove power cord, remove battery, reinstall power cord, start without battery, go into device manager and delete everything there under the battery heading. Reboot (still with no battery) shutdown, reinstall battery and start up again. Go into device manager and check battery listings. If still flashing orange and your power adapter is good then its time for a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me it the "sound it made". Could you be a little more descriptive? Popping, hissing? Did the sound happen then the light, at the same time, or the light then the sound?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If the battery is toast it should still work plugged in unless the battery is shorted which can load down the power adaptor rendering the machine useless.
Just keep in mind that is ASUS can replace the battery, then so can you. Its just not as easy as in the past.

HERE is a tear down video of a G751 that shows where the battery is. Should not be too difficult to get it out. Havent had to replace it myself and as much as I like the fellow members Im not pulling my machine apart again just to see how the batter comes out. The video shows how to get to it and anyone who is capable enough to change the battery should be able to figure it out from there. Just a couple of screws and one connector I believe, maybe some double sided tape.

There are plenty of places to source them, just do a search. OEM batteries go for around $130 and generic for $75, I always pay the extra to get the OEM just so I dont have issues with the battery being read by the system, happens a lot!

Blinking orange usually denotes the battery is too hot, or at least thats what its supposed to mean. Not always the case. Bad drivers can do the same thing.

Alternating green/orange means there is something wrong with the charging system, but again this can be false.

First thing is to double check your power adapter is working, should be getting ~19-20VDC out of it. If that is good then move on to looking closer at the battery. The normal thing to do is to remove the battery and as much of a PITA as I know its going to be I would still recommend following the procedure to save yourself from the expense of a new battery if not needed.

Shut down, remove power cord, remove battery, reinstall power cord, start without battery, go into device manager and delete everything there under the battery heading. Reboot (still with no battery) shutdown, reinstall battery and start up again. Go into device manager and check battery listings. If still flashing orange and your power adapter is good then its time for a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me it the "sound it made". Could you be a little more descriptive? Popping, hissing? Did the sound happen then the light, at the same time, or the light then the sound?

Thanks Justin! Well, my problem has been solved just by pushing a button.

To be more descriptive anyway, the fans AND the led started acting strange exactly in the same time. The fans went full crazy, I think all of them ran at 100% for a few seconds. Never heard that much sound coming from this laptop in one year of intensive use, I thought it was about to take off.

Now that everything is back to normal, seems it was just a security to prevent overheating and battery damage anyway: the BIOS might have like, "disconnected" the battery and tried to cool it down as in an emergency.

I'm very happy nothing was actually broken, the battery is now back to normal.

Thanks for your support guys.

Boulingrin wrote:
Thanks Justin! Well, my problem has been solved just by pushing a button.

Didn't work for me... Mine is still blink orange and green and never stopped while booting and holding the power button. I do think it's time for a new battery though... will try that next.