cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 how to find your product key ?

fixxi_net
Level 7
On a g752 how can one find what the product key is .. in case the os is being reinstalled ?
19 REPLIES 19

XOIIO
Level 7
Produkey works fantastically, apparently I can't post the link though.

We'll see if editing to post it works. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Edit: yup, it did.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You don't need it. Its embedded. After you register on first start up any reinstalls on the same machine will automatically retrieve the MOBO info.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You don't need it. Its embedded. After you register on first start up any reinstalls on the same machine will automatically retrieve the MOBO info.

Thanks. Do you know if it is possible to run dual boot with first OS activated Windows 10 and second OS Windows 10 in trial mode ?

fixxi.net wrote:
Thanks. Do you know if it is possible to run dual boot with first OS activated Windows 10 and second OS Windows 10 in trial mode ?

it can be done I have a 10 home win ssd original and another ssd win 10 pro and PC when you turn it asks you how I know you want to leave 😮

JustinThyme wrote:

This didn't actually work for me. My story:

On my G751JY I had a preinstalled 8.1. Upgraded to Win10 soon and later to Win10Pro (through the store). I had some issues with the Win10 (probably because of the 8.1 -> 10 upgrade), and had a need for Win7, so I decided to do a clean install of Win7Pro/Win10Pro dual boot. I changed my original 256GB SSD out and replaced it with a 512GB SSD (This might be the cause for auto-activation failing, some of the support pages of microsoft said something like "if you do considerable hardware changes, like motherboard or hdd, you need to activate with Support").

I installed Win7Pro and after that Win10Pro to a separate partition, both as UEFI. Win10 was activated as Win10 Home. I spent some time in the support chat with MS guys, with no help from them, not even with my order id or invoice number (for the Win10 Pro upgrade). The store showed the Pro upgrade first as "buy, costs XXX", but later it changed to "begin installation", but it did not work. It seemed to install something, and after reboot, I was still on Win 10 Home. As I had not received any product keys to any of the windows versions (even the 10 Pro upgrade just installs, you don't get the actual key in any email, receipt, order confirmation, etc...) I then used ProduKey, as suggested also in this thread, and saw that I was on a different product key and the Pro key was also shown by ProduKey. I then went to change my product key for windows for the Pro one and after that, the store installation of Win10 Pro upgrade worked and after reboot I was on Win 10 Pro.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Id highly doubt it, as soon as you go to install its going to pick up on the machine and license it. Don't understand why you would want to do that. The only reason they even offered a 90 day trial was so people could dual boot windows 10 and whatever they had before, as in Win 7 or 8.

Ive heard of crazier things but one way to find out, try it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
Wont argue that point as I haven't borne witness to having to run Win 7 and Win 10, and 12 different distros of linux on 14 partitions.
What I can tell you is with a normal installation, without fail, you don't need to key.
If it defaults and installs the home version, regardless of whether you chose the wrong version to clean install or other by other means as soon as you enter the MS login it will revert to the correct version. The only exception would be if you circumvented the new platform that makes it easy and went with the generic log on instead of your Microsoft account email.

So with the key "embedded", let's say my HDD fails and I have to replace it. (Or I upgrade the RAM or otherwise make a small change to hardware) Will it still work on a reinstall?

My previous computer, which I assume was not embedded, I upgraded to Win10 and activated it successfully, but then I had issues. I ended up upgrading the RAM, then did a clean install of Win10. Couldn't activate after that install and had to restore to factory default (Windows 7) from my restore disks.

With this computer, there doesn't seem to be an option to create restore disks, but if I don't need to worry about the Windows key, I'm ok with doing a clean install if something unforeseen happens.

Can anyone confirm how it works with this scenario?

Skridger wrote:
With this computer, there doesn't seem to be an option to create restore disks, but if I don't need to worry about the Windows key, I'm ok with doing a clean install if something unforeseen happens.

Can anyone confirm how it works with this scenario?

I'd download ProduKey and dig up the product key just to be sure. It should work without needing the key, at least that's what everybody keeps saying, but better safe than sorry?