cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY vs G752VT VS Alienware 17 R3 !!

dookooo
Level 7
Hello,Good day all

I was an owner for G75VW with a 3D Display since 2013 , it has been stolen 3 days ago from my car with all the things (Asus Backpack , Asus Gaming Mouse ) and some Extrenal hard drives 😞 , anyway i am searching again for a nice gaming Laptop , i had a good experience with the G75VW before , also i can see a lot of cool upgrades in G752VY and G752VT versions , i intend to buy one of those machines :

1-ASUS ROG G752VY-DH72 ( http://www.amazon.com/G752VY-DH72-17-Inch-Gaming-GeForce-Titanium/dp/B01578ZM6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q... )

2-Alienware AW17R3-8342SLV ( http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-AW17R3-8342SLV-Laptop-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PYYCEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie...)

and i have a few question :

1- Does the ROG G752VY version has an ORANGE rear vent ??

2- what is the Difference between the G-Sync Display and the UHD display in the Alienware , is it about 60Hz for UHD and 120Hz to G-Sync !?

3- i red about a lot of bugs in the G752VY Bios versions , i know the Alienware has some bugs too , but do i need to worry about a faster fixes for these bugs in Asus ?

4- what about the battery life in the G752VY , is it really bad ??

I didn't use an Alienware Laptop before , and i have a headache to choose between both of them , both are almost the same price , both are good , but i really need a push in the right direction , a convincing opinion to help me choose one of them .

Thanks in advance ,
have a great day .
17 REPLIES 17

Sniffy
Level 7
1. Depends on the model you buy. They come in different colors I believe

2. The G752 has G-Sync (and therefore 75Hz) and the Alienware UHD is 2160p (which you won't be able to run games at). If you don't understand what G--Sync is then you should look it up. The G752 has the better display though by far, UHD cannot be used in games with current GPUs at good FPS. G-Sync is more useful

3. Hard to say but usually ASUS notebooks receive BIOS updates throughout their lifespan relatively regularly.

4. It's quite bad yes. But no gaming laptop really excels in this area.

Alienware are pretty garbage imo, their older laptops from a few years ago were much better.

Tidbits
Level 9
1. Only the 980 comes with the different color vents. I have the 970 Model and they are black vents
2. What Sniffy said
3. Toss up honestly some bugs will get fixed faster than others.
4. I have yet to have a gaming laptop to date that gives "good" battery life

Alienware I am not to sure about. I had one long before Dell bought them out so based on back when I enjoyed them.

The 2 brands right now I would purchase is the MSI and Asus.

XOIIO
Level 7
Well, honestly, I'd steer clear of alienware purely because of how much extra cost they will add on just because of the branding. I didn't even look at them much when shopping for a laptop, but as expected the couple I saw as being a decent comparison spec wise were overpriced compared to asus and msi equivalents.

I use to have an alienware 17 and now I have G752VT-RH71.

What I miss about my alienware was it was lighter, smaller footprint, bezel wasn't huge, and it had optimus! Because of optimus, I would normally get around 5 hours surfing the web, watching youtube, etc using the intel HD... On Nvidia, I would get around 3-3.5 hours playing games. 5 Hours was real nice, as there were many times I just browsed the web. I miss that. Also, in the BIOS you could choose to just use either the Intel HD, or the Nvidia, essentially disabling optimus if you wanted too. Also, the RGB lighted keyboard was also amazing.

As for this G752 i now have, I hate how its a 17-inch display in an 18.4 inch frame. Its super huge for no reason, and the keyboard is only red. I really hate the battery life on this thing, as just surfing the web I get around 2.5 hours, which is so scary, that I have yet to game on battery, abnd I really hate it doesn't have optimus. I assumed all gaming laptops had optimus. Not this one. It does look a little better than my Alienware to me, because of the brush metal look. I also like the USB-C port.

The only reason I have the G752VT is because I got it for $750 on Craigslist. The guy I bought it from won it at CES as a givaway. Sadly, for me, even at $750, I feel this laptop doesn't bring enough value for me to want to keep it.

But, If I had to buy a laptop costing $1600+ dollar, by far and wide I would go back to my Alienware, and get one with 4k resolution at that, and possibly even touch screen. Asus doesn't offer any of those options in their ROG laptop.

But ya, for me personally, this G752 really blows,even at $750. I could only imagine how I would feel if I paid the $1599 retail price.
Thats my personal opinion. Also, supposedly all G752VT are suppose to come with a 128GB SSD.... Except mine for some reason, the G752VT-RH71, which only came with a 1TB HDD.

ROGdemigod wrote:
I use to have an alienware 17 and now I have G752VT-RH71.
Also, in the BIOS you could choose to just use either the Intel HD, or the Nvidia, essentially disabling optimus if you wanted too.
I really hate the battery life on this thing, as just surfing the web I get around 2.5 hours, which is so scary, that I have yet to game on battery, abnd I really hate it doesn't have optimus. I assumed all gaming laptops had optimus. Not this one.

I have brought this question up recently, and there was a different inquiry on the topic.

Since we are free to express our opinions, I have to say that having a dedicated GPU on a gaming laptop is the right way to go - especially if a laptop is branded a "gaming" one. Accordingly, it is an excellent thing there is NO Optimus on such gaming machines.

In the three years I've used my old HP dv6 there were rare occasions I needed to use it off my AC adapter. And when I did use it - I never needed to use it more than the battery could handle it. So...I see no problem there. We live in a modern civilization where electricity is available, and if one needs a long-living laptop, there are Acer One type laptops, Ultra laptops of various manufacturers and business laptops which serve the purpose quite well.

Gaming laptop? 4.5 kg? Sure. AC adapter most of the time? Sure. Advanced performance? Sure.

There is a saying in Croatia ... "one can't fart and squeeze at the same time" so ... 🙂

Aldaraad wrote:
I have brought this question up recently, and there was a different inquiry on the topic.

Since we are free to express our opinions, I have to say that having a dedicated GPU on a gaming laptop is the right way to go - especially if a laptop is branded a "gaming" one. Accordingly, it is an excellent thing there is NO Optimus on such gaming machines.

In the three years I've used my old HP dv6 there were rare occasions I needed to use it off my AC adapter. And when I did use it - I never needed to use it more than the battery could handle it. So...I see no problem there. We live in a modern civilization where electricity is available, and if one needs a long-living laptop, there are Acer One type laptops, Ultra laptops of various manufacturers and business laptops which serve the purpose quite well.

Gaming laptop? 4.5 kg? Sure. AC adapter most of the time? Sure. Advanced performance? Sure.

There is a saying in Croatia ... "one can't fart and squeeze at the same time" so ... 🙂

Ya, but the Alienware BIOS gave the option to run only the Nvidia, or just the Intel HD, or run both (Optimus). There were times I would haveOptimus, other times I would run only the Nvidia, and other times I would run only the intel HD when I needed max battery life. I am one of those people that love more options, not less.

Sadly, these are gaming "laptops", and considering the G752 is a direct competitor of the Alienware, I find it short on delivering a comparable product compared on just about every front.

Thanks all for your replies , it's like 60 for Asus and 40 for Alienware , i found another weird thing in the Alienware , it just accept 16 GB of ram !!! .. and Alienware customer support confirmed that you will be out of warranty if you upgraded to 32GB of ram !!! , that's weird . you can check this reddit Link :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/3uz1r5/ram_upgrade_for_alienware_17_r3/

I am still confused , because i didn't have a chance to try an Alienware before , i know from what i've seen that 3 or 4 years ago Alienware was better than that , but now it's a little disappointing , also Asus is taking a big steady steps in upgrading it's ROG line .

I also found that alot of people who bought an Alienware was complaining about the (180 W PSU ) which will make the GTX 980 laggy in some heavy games , they all stated that there should be (240 W PSU) instead of 180 w .

honestly i didn't find such a problems for G752VY till now , maybe because it's still very new , or because it has no major problems ! .

i am getting mad 🙂 .. i know i am thinking a lot about that but 2400 USD is not a small amount of money 🙂

thanks .

ROGdemigod wrote:
I am one of those people that love more options, not less.

More options works great if they work. I support "less" options on a gaming laptop - no small print, I know what I'm buying.

Corporal
Level 9
Buy a G751JY, it will save you money, and you still get a GTX 980m. CPU Improvement from 4710 to 6700 is marginal

As for this G752 i now have, I hate how its a 17-inch display in an 18.4 inch frame. Its super huge for no reason, and the keyboard is only red. I really hate the battery life on this thing, as just surfing the web I get around 2.5 hours, which is so scary, that I have yet to game on battery, abnd I really hate it doesn't have optimus.

Asus decided to shrink the battery of G752VT by 30-40%. G752VY still gets a normal 85Wh battery, just like G751JY