cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will XG2 external GC dock work on G501vw/jw?

Heartless
Level 7
Hello guys,
I was hoping if you could answer the my question: Will XG2 external GC dock work on G501vw/jw?

I plan to buy a g501vw once it released on my country and When I heard that the XG2 will be released later on , I also plan to buy it later since we are talking about a desktop grade GC for the laptops which will boost the gaming experience much better.

My dilemma is that I dont know if xg2 will work on g501vw since they said that it needs 2 connections of Thunderbolts? Or usb 3.1 type C? Im not really sure about it since I dont have any idea on these things,

Please help me if theres someone in asus could clarify this

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

InfernoStorm
Level 10
The information on the exact models being supported probably isn't even available yet. All that was released is that you require Thunderbolt 3 which uses USB Type-C and I don't think they specified you need 2 Thunderbolt ports, 1 is already sufficient which is 40Gbits/s. From the top of my head G501vm does have Thunderbolt 3 so with that logic I'm quite sure the XG2 will work with the G501vm. Fingers crossed! Hope they don't decide to lock it and only work on ROG/ASUS laptops, that would suck.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
So I found a good image of the ports and found out indeed you need 2 x USB Type-C connectors so it probably means that it won't work for the G501

Bahz
Level 12
This is kind of in the wrong section so I'll move this over to general hardware discussion as we don't really have a external GPU section.

To give you all an update, the XG2 will require just one Thunderbolt 3 USB 3.1 Type-C connector in order to be funtional. However the extra USB Type-C cable will allow for extra PCI-e X2 lane and also to power the USB hub ports to on the XG2 unit. So with just one USB Type-C cable connected the performance is slightly lower than compared when both Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C cables are connected. Please note this is all I know for now but none of these details are 100% finalized for the final product.

toronto699
Level 13
CES2016 Asus XG2 as Bahz said not set in stone yet its a proto type , final product may change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6fbwZCjPqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwSP_5bhc0

InfernoStorm
Level 10
I'm really looking forward to carrying around a super thin powerful 13" ultra book that's less than 2lbs around just for work or while outside at coffee shops then going home and plugging it into the XG2 for some intense gaming. I'm so excited! 😄

I'm going to sell off my desktop as soon as this is available, it's going to clear up so much space in my room.

I think I've heard something about having two thunderbolt 3 ports will up the performance about 15% compared to one, but it's all hearsay until the product is finalized.

I hope to up my performance some on my G501vw laptop with the XG2 for sure, and it would be great to use as a general purpose computer dock when I'm at home! 🙂 So I'm really looking forward to see it's release!