cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial impressions of G752VY-DH78K

kjancaitis
Level 7
Ordered direct from ASUS Wednesday 2 PM, received Friday at noon (home is in the SF bay area where the ASUS warehouse is located).

Fit and finish is excellent. 512 GB SSD storage is configured as 2 256 GB drives. Fans are about as loud as my G751, which is it say not bad at all. As far as I can tell all drivers and Bios are the latest on the ASUS support site. Only hiccup so far was the time it took to figure out that I had to uninstall ROG GameFirst III to get NVidia GeForce Experience to run smoothly. G-Sync is enabled. Came with the standard amount of bloatware that I uninstalled.

If you act quickly you can get this at a $400 discount from Costco online until 1/17. Until this morning their order process was broken but it seems to be working now.

Ken J
8 REPLIES 8

toronto699
Level 13
I got my G752-VY-DH78K Friday , but its being upgraded with a 1 TB 850 Pro SSD and a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD and some Satellite and BlackBerry Software at an Asus Service Centre in the City I live , I have not had my hands on it yet. Do u have any Audio issues to speak of. I should have my laptop sometime next week if upgrades go well . Here is the drivers page Glad to hear u like the G752

http://www.asus.com/us/search/results.aspx?SearchKey=G752&IsSupport=True
To Bad No Costco on line in my country ha ha 35% duty here also and our $ is 68cents US

JustinThyme
Level 13
Nice, I bought the DH72 from Costco. Best price yet especially when you consider the free 1 year accidental damage warranty and the factory warranty extended to 2 years and a 90 day return policy. At the time I pulled the trigger everywhere else was $600 more. Now its back to only $400 less than anywhere else but that's still one sweet deal! I was on the fence until I got that email from Costco. Pushed me right off the fence. Still one day left for either!

I am a bit surprised though to see that the 512GB SSD is 2x256GB drives. That means to upgrade it further you have to scrap a drive, not that I didnt do that anyhow. The 256 that came with my DH72 is in the box that a 950 pro came in and put away for safe keeping of the recovery partition.

I was also on the fence of whether to bite the bullet and go for the flagship to get the 8GB VRAM and the i7-6820HK. The rest of it didn't matter as I would only upgrade it anyway. The angel on the left shoulder won in the end over the extra $1000.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Are the 2x256 SSD's configured in RAID? I looked at that model on Xotic and see they have it as 512GB and the RAID option is defaulted to on with 2 x 256GB SSDs.

Looked on Costco and see:
Drives:

1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 512GB Solid State Drive

Clintlgm
Level 14
I think what Kjancaitis was saying is that the 512 GB SSD is partition in to C:\ and D:\ normal for Asus to configure that way as well as the 1 TB configured as E:\ and F:\ from what I'm seeing on all the Custom vendors websites is a stock 512 GB in slot M.2 slot 1 with M.2 Slot 2 empty or select the SSD you would like. Hopefully he/she will come back in with more observations on this beast model.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I think what Kjancaitis was saying is that the 512 GB SSD is partition in to C:\ and D:\ normal for Asus to configure that way as well as the 1 TB configured as E:\ and F:\ from what I'm seeing on all the Custom vendors websites is a stock 512 GB in slot M.2 slot 1 with M.2 Slot 2 empty or select the SSD you would like. Hopefully he/she will come back in with more observations on this beast model.

No it is 2 separate drives. Here is what MiniTool Partition Wizard Sees. Disk 4 is an external hard drive

Well then your vendor must have done this. I have looked at Xtopic, Gen Tech, HDE all list G752 with M.2 port 1 and 2 with depending on model either a 512 or 256 or 128 Slot 1 and empty slot 2 or add your choice off M.2 SSD. this is public knowledge anyone can go see.
I don't understand why a vendor would do this as 2 256gb are more expensive than 1 512gb?
Unless there customizing and already getting paid for upgraded SSD, so then it would be cheaper, however you don't have a 512gb SSD according to what you are showing
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I stand corrected
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Stooo
Level 7
OK. So it looks as though it is 2 separate drives though with 512GB total SSD. Why Asus advertises with a 512GB SSD is confusing.