cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing on blank hard-drives

BongMcPuffin
Level 7
Oh man... where to begin.

I tried to install Gentoo linux onto my laptop, which is a G751JY-DH71 (one 256 SSD split in half and one HDD split in half).

I reaaaally messed the process up and I tried to go back to normal, but I messed up and used the native Windows recovery USB stick instead of using ASUS Backtracker, which is where I think I went wrong.

Now I've reinstalled everything and I got it all working as far as the USB Recovery tools went and I upgraded to Windows 10, but then I went to use Backtracker to make another USB stick and it says it doesn't support my system.

I have some weird partitions in diskpart as well. This led to really slow boot times, but eventually I found out if you boot into safemode it kind of fixes the EFI loader so that sped the boot times up back to normal.

So, from here, my thoughts are to nuke it from orbit and reformat the drives entirely and then reinstall Windows from scratch, but I don't know if this will mess up my laptop even worse. Is there any way to obtain the OEM copy of window 8 that ASUS used initially? I have my windows product key (found it deep in the registry), so thats not an issue.

Anyone have any insight into this issue? I know I really should have used ASUS Backtracker, but I didn't... so yeah.
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
As for the original ASUS drive image, you will have to contact support for that. They may or may not be accommodating. What I can offer is a link to get the OS if you have a Key. You will just have to go to the ASUS support page for your model and download all the drivers. There will be some missing software though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

This is why, without exception, that ever since manufacturers stopped providing recovery media and put it on a partition on the original drive I have always replaced that drive and put the original away for a rainy day.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Corporal
Level 9
Is there any way to obtain the OEM copy of window 8 that ASUS used initially?

There is nothing special about the "ASUS" edition of windows 8, if you could call it that. It's just Windows 8 + ASUS Drivers/utilities + Bloatware. When I switched to windows 10 (clean installation) I deleted the recovery partition to get some more space on the SSD. I backed up the recovery partition with Macrium Reflect, but I have a feeling I will never need it.

Go to the link JustInThyme provided, download Windows, Install it, install drivers and your ASUS will be good as new. Forget about ASUS Backtracker, use Macrium Reflect.

I have always replaced that drive and put the original away for a rainy day.

That means you still have your original XP941 M.2?

Corporal wrote:
That means you still have your original XP941 M.2?

Yes, and the SM951 256 GB for the G752 and the HGST 1TB 7200rpm for the G751JL and the 500GB 7200rpm SSHD for G74sx.
All of them cloned, removed and put away in the boxes the laptops came in along with the memory modules, DVD drives and anything else that was original that I took out.

G751JY has 512GB SM951AHCI
G751JL has 512GB 850 pro as does the G74SX although that one is the second replacement drive as SSDs were not on the market when it came out. I originally replaced it with a Segate 1TB SSHD
G752VY has 512GB 950 pro

You can do a clean install, some prefer it. Me, I prefer the original image as I find it takes less time to remove the limited bloatware than it does to install all the drivers.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Corporal
Level 9
removed and put away in the boxes the laptops

My broke ass can't afford just putting the original SSD in the box and buying 512 GB SSD 😄

Corporal wrote:
My broke ass can't afford just putting the original SSD in the box and buying 512 GB SSD 😄

I cant either, I make my kids do landscaping work, shovel snow etc for the neighbors then take their money! :cool: