cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Monitor 2 Graphics Card set up problems

calpsy
Level 7
I have 3 x Asus PG278Q ROG Swift G-Sync monitors .

I have 2 x GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Cards .

I want to link all 3 monitors for gaming . The problem im running into is the cards only have 1 Display Port each so I have to connect the other monitor somehow . Ive used a Display Port splitter to connect 2 monitors to one graphics card . The problem I have is when its all connected the way ive described the 2 monitors connected to the splitter flash on and off continuously and the other one stays on as it should . Ive checked all monitors on their own and they work fine . Ive checked both graphics cards individually and they are both working as they should . Ive sent back the splitter for a new one after talking to the manufacturers incase it was a faulty one but its the same .

Just wondering if any of you good people have any ideas .
9 REPLIES 9

calpsy
Level 7
No replies ?? I thought this would be the best place to ask ..........

get a 980ti? or two...something with more dp ports...beyond that sorry no ideas using a splitter isn't the greatest solution, also 2 x 970 is a lil under powered for 3 2560x1440 displays especially ones that can manage 144hz.

aeliusg
Level 7
I think you need 3 cards for G-SYNC Surround.

Edit: Three if they only have one DisplayPort each, because G-SYNC won't work with an adapter. It may work if you swap out one of them for a 970 or above with more than one DisplayPort. Keep in mind, SLI will be limited by the slowest card.

kkn
Level 14
diffrent cards in sli by nvidia is not supported like amd.
display splitter = 60hz/fps max.
for 3 display setup you need a card whit 3 display outputs or 3 gpu's

for 3 1440p monitors 1 graphics card won't cut it and no way at 144hz, if you ahve 3 of those monitors and want to get the most out of it you should look at getting 2 top end cards at a min, wouldn't bother with Titan x's not worth the money, i'd get 2 980ti's but i fear that still won't be enough for 144fps on 3 1440p monitors without turning game setting down allot, then you start getting into the realms of diminishing returns on your investment, 3 way sli 980ti's....expensive and i'd say still even then i don't think you would hit 144fps on all 3 monitors at once on max settings, you'd still have to tone down the graphics a little.

aeliusg
Level 7
Well, he does have G-Sync, but at $2000-2500 spent on the monitors alone, I don't see why you shouldn't spend half as much at least on the graphics power to show them off, if you can afford it.

Who is the manufacture of your cards? I just looked at the specs for the 970 and it says 1 dvi-i, 1 hdmi 2.0, and 3 display ports 1.2 ???

davemon50
Level 11
If you spent that much on monitors, they should be "chainable" through DP. At least two of them should be. Check the manual. Then use HDMI or DVDI for the third if all three are not chainable.
Davemon50

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
A splitter is only suitable for outputing the same signal to all connected monitors. For a triple-monitor surround setup with G-SYNC, you need to connect all the monitors to 3 DP ports on the same graphics card (HDMI is limited to 60Hz refresh rate and no G-Sync capability). For a massive 7680X1440 resolution using three PG278Qs, unfortunately two GTX 970s in SLI are still under-powered for what you want to do. I'd suggest two of the latest high-end graphics cards for the job. Make sure the graphics cards have 3 DP ports.