cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Pendaws
Level 7
I have had this board for a couple of years and already has been back to Asus for repairs twice.
The last time, it scorched itself and it was away for more than 2 months until I got it back. When I did get it back, the CPU would NOT work in it and, as I had little money at the time I got a XII 245 CPU for it and it worked well.
Recently, I got a FX6300 to add to it and now it will NOT boot with the 6300 installed, soon as I put back the 245 no probs??
The little CPU light comes on and stays on with the 6300 and a couple of times the board made a long beep and two short beeps and the Mem light flashed on.

I am out of ideas and I am hoping someone can give me a few ideas that might help me? the FX6300 is BRAND new and all the other components work FINE so????

Thanks in Advance
5 REPLIES 5

chrsplmr
Level 18
Pendaws .. Welcome to ROG.
Sorry to hear about this, let's see if we can sort it out.
The code is a memory error. You do not list your steps here so let's go through them.
1. re-seat the memory -- checking for debris in the lane etc.
(if no joy) 2. try with one stick, closest to the cpu.
(if no joy) 3. try different memory. (borrow if you can) I say this because having learned the
hard way not all AMD cpus play well with all memory ..
((i built two identical amd machines. identical. one ran great, the other refused. switching the components
one by one brought no joy as the other ran perfectly with each component .. one of the cpus refused
to run with the memory i was using .. the other ran all of them. both have now been in service for
4 years without issue after replacing the memory in one with a different brand. it happens))
That said.
Confirm Bios Version is as recommended (the latest 2501) (LINK)
((When the board was returned it may be on the shipped bios))
also, What OS ?
((Generally it is best to list components including OS. TroubleShooting blind is tough enough. lol))

Best of Luck ... Please keep us Posted. .c.

Thanks for the reply.

The last time this board decided to die, it was because it overheated. When I go the board back, it would NOT start with the AMD FX8150 it had before and I tried new PSU, New Video card, no drives hooked up and a plain keyboard with nothing else added, just wouldn't start so, I guessed the CPU was friend. I bought an old AM3 Athlon XII 245 CPU and put it in, booted FIRST time with SAME memory.
I have waited a couple of moths to save the $$ for a new FX6300 and I added it last night, NO boot. I removed ALL the memory, and tried to reboot the machine with each stick in the first spot but still it would not start. There is 16gb of Kingston PC3 10700 memory and it is running quite fine with the Xii 245, the ram is listed in the hand book as suitable and is the 1.5v type. can't see why it won't boot with the memory that is working FINE, it is the memory that I got for the machine when first I bought it.

I have removed the battery a few times and reset the CMOS about 10 times and still nothing yet, as soon as I put the XII 245 in, it starts with NO issue and I just have to go into the BIOS menu to change things. The BIOS version that is on the board is 2501 dated 2014 so, no issue there.

Could there STILL be an issue with the MB? could the VRM be at fault? I am guessing but, it sure beats me?????

BTW, I am running Win 10 Pro on this machine on a 250gb Samsung SSD.

Can anyone else think of what may be wrong OR, what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance

chrsplmr
Level 18
Your Welcome of Course ...
That's everything but trying different memory imho ...
which doesn't explain both cpu's since the old one worked with the same memory.
If you can borrow some to try it's worth a shot before you rma again ...

Hang in there .. someone may have a better solution. Best of Luck. .c.

Pendaws
Level 7
Thank you so much for answering my post. I will try to get some more ram and see if that will fix the issue.
I will let you know how I fare. 🙂

Pendaws
Level 7
I purchased a piece of Samsung 1600mhz ram from Ebay and installed the new FX6300. I placed the new ram in slot 1 and for the hang of it, I added one of the other pieces of ram and she booted up straight away? I have filled the rest of the ram slots with the same memory I had and it is running very well. It appears that the 1st ram slot has issues only with this ram??? The Samsung ram is also 1600mhz 1.5v while the other ram is 1.5v @1333 but lists as 1.65v for XMP 1600?

ZRegardless, the machine is working very well and I am happy that it is all working ok. 🙂 Thanks again for the help.