cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on upcoming PG348Q refresh rate

jacoro1
Level 7
Hello-

With the new PG348Q monitor being released in the coming weeks, could someone from ASUS give us some clarification on it's refresh rate?
I have seen it stated in several articles and forums this monitor will be able to do 100hz out of the box. However, it is based on the same panel as the ACER X34, which requires you to enable an "overclocking" feature and will then do "up to" 100hz. In reality, most of the X34 monitors will only get to 95hz or less. More often than not the overclocking also causes coil whine on white backgrounds and small artifacts in darker colors (I tried 3 X34s myself and they all did this)
Can we get confirmation that these will be able to hit 100hz without enabling an overclock? Or that they will at least be tested to run at 100hz correctly with the function enabled? I would really like to own one of these, but am concerned after the fiasco with your competitor's panels.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

phatec
Level 7
The fact that the Acer x34 reaches 95hz is 100% based on out of date software which had a bug, their Monitors they had already sent out required an RMA for firmware and hardware updates to fix this issue.

Asus will not have these issues with the PG348Q.

phatec wrote:
The fact that the Acer x34 reaches 95hz is 100% based on out of date software which had a bug, their Monitors they had already sent out required an RMA for firmware and hardware updates to fix this issue.

I don't think this is accurate at all. Some Chinese folks have received their retail units already and some have reported not even being able to go over 90Hz. The thread is in Chinese, but you can make out most of the discussion with Google Translate.

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1523841-1-1.html

phatec wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is not accurate. I know one of my X34's would do 100hz just fine, one could do 95 and the other only 90. The 100hz one was actually my first and had earliest mfg date. Doesn't seem like a software bug so much as hardware running at the edge of tolerances.
It looks like this panel does indeed require you to set an "overclock" speed from the OSD, along with using a "Turbo" button to enable it.
I am actually less concerned about the maximum frequency as I am about problems caused by enabling the overclock, like coil whine and "scan line" artifacts. Guess we wont know till they are on peoples desks.

CyberMarine
Level 7
According to this press release, "it also has a Turbo key to overclock the refresh rate up to 100Hz[1] for incredibly-smooth gaming gameplay". So it's not 100Mhz out of the box.