View Poll Results: How fast do you think a G752VY can handle?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC 17000 2133MHz stock speed

3 33.33%
  • PC 19200 2400MHz

0 0%
  • PC 21300 2666MHz

1 11.11%
  • PC 22400 2800MHz

5 55.56%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Well I just had a fun filled several hours.
    Memory kit came a day early. Saw on the tracking that it was out for delivery so I cracked my machine open as I was replacing all the sticks.
    Install the 2 on the inside, boot up with things still loose and it reverts fast boot disabled in the bios. I change it back and shut down.
    Install other 2 sticks restart and fast boot is disabled, set it to enabled again and save and exit, machine boots all 64GB showing up but its not at 2800Mhz its at 2400Mhz. Showed the same clocks everywhere. Showed correct SPD and JDEC values for a 1400Mhz clock speed but it was running at 1200. OK so I do the unthinkable and open up Intel XTU. It would let me run the multiplier up until I passed 2666Mhz then is ran the bus speed from 1.33 to 1. So I'm like OK and went with it and it then let me run the multiplier up to 28 for 2800Mhz. I saved and rebooted. BIG EFFIN MISTAKE! HUGE ONE! Bricked and would not restart. no BIOS reset trick in the book was going to work. Power LED and light bulb LED illuminated, that was it. Tried the CTL+Home+pwr button with BIOS loaded on USB, no dice. NADA. This machine is a ROYAL PITA to tear down but thats what it took. Complete tear down to get to the CMOS battery. Where they have it you cant even remove a few screws and lift up to get to it, Complete MOBO removal is required. Just FYI its located about a little better than halfway up from the front of the machine and about an inch in on the right side near the mini display port. To get the board out the fans have to come out before you can lift up and it has to come out lifting on the left side up first to get the audio jacks out of the hole. WHAT A BEAR THAT WAS! Display had to come off, everything. Just to get to the CMOS battery. If I ever go in again I'm going to extend the leads and place that batter in the drive bay!

Anyhow left battery disconnected for about 20 mins then plugged it back in and began reassembly. With everything back together it booted up again. OK all is not lost, I just cant go past 2400. Or so I thought. I go digging around just checking things out and it locks up hard. had to do a power button shut down. Did this several time then I start hearing bios type beeps that i never heard before. Next thing I know I'm looking at a gray screen and it flashed up something about requesting downgrade of something but the screen grayed out with a single white dot in the middle followed by a black screen. I saw HDD activity so I let it go for a bit. Another hard shutdown. So on reboot the BIOS is back to fast boot disabled again. So I proceed to the cheat to roll it back to 206..........NOPE not going anywhere. on reboot where you should get the bios flash screen I just rebooted. tried flashing from the BIOS, nope thats not working either. Tried the CTL+home+Pwr trick with bios renamed to bin and on a fat 32 usb drive. Nope wouldnt work either. Boot back up and it starts random restarts. Then an error to install the start up disk. I went to bios checked save and exited and it booted back up but shortly after shut back down again. Finally I took the keyboard off again and put the stock RAM back in. Booted right up, fast boot was enabled, flashed back to 206 with the cmd prompt trick and now that's where I sit, back where I started except at BIOS 206.

I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow, the keyboard is laying loose on the top yet. I'm just wiped for now. I did find it interesting all the issues it created, especially the BIOS problems that I didn't have before.

Jason you might want to rethink your RAM as a culprit. Ill report back tomorrow on how it works out. I'm going to try and install it on BIOS 206 and see where it takes me.
    Wow I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in your house, with Mrs JustinThyme looking at a brand new couple of thousand dollar laptop in pieces on the floor. Bet the local florist has made a few quid

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Wow. Nice little stressful adventure for you. heh. Glad to hear you and the laptop made it out ok.

If you got 2400, you're still over stock. Looks like that chip accoring to Intel, supports up to 2133: http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/...up-to-3_50-GHz

On a side note, How were you able to manipulate settings in XTU? Did the new ram open up options that were not their previously? I was a little irked when I found out that adjusting the multipliers were not allowed on the 6700HQ when I could on my G750 with the 4700HQ.
    ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K
    RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72
    RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71
    RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

For the XTU I'll just call it an anomaly. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Both the CPU and memory was available for overclocking. It actually showed the memory bus already at 133Mhz the slider had two positions, 133 and 100, wouldnt do anything in between then you could change the multipler anywhere you wanted like it was fully functional. I ran it up to 28 multipler at 100Mhz which would have been right where it should be for the memory.

Then the ensuing story of doom. Needless to day there were some rather colorful metaphors flying around that only intensified when I tried every trick in the book to recover and nothing worked. I had to walk away from it for a little while before breaking out the ES mat and tools and go busy with tearing it down. Its a PITA! Monitor and all has to come off. The only thing I didn't have to take out was the SD card reader! Pulled the CMOS battery and took my 120lb lab for a walk and lit a nice full bodied stogie while I was at it. Came back an put it all back toegther and had to mess around a little to get it back up and found to get back to 206 I had to put the stock memory back in.

Either way after the fiasco with the bricked machine When I got it back up XTU no longer shows the ability to do anything! CPU multipliers are grayed out and the entire memory category is just plain gone!

In the meantime I found one of the RAM modules was crap on top of that. Work fine for awhile then out of nowhere I get two beep, not through the speakers, like a desktop BIOS beep. Not at all happy. Another day moving memory sticks around and running MEMTEST86 to find that problem. So I just put the stock memory back in and opened an RMA for the memory kit. Just going to do a refund and digest all of this for awhile before I jump in with it again. My just leave it as is with the 32GB of 2133Mhz and wait awhile until those sticks start popping up on fleabay from the PC cannabals and snag two more of the stock just to make it easy. That or go with 2400Mhz instead as its not getting past that no matter what is done on a laptop. Could push a desktop and tweak CPU and MEM to where they play nice but no such BIOS here. All you have is XTU that doesnt work either LOL. Im certainly in no hurry to pull it all the way down again. Had the been a desk top just yank the side cover, reach in, move a jumper, hit the pwr button, move jumper back, done. If I had the stuff around I would have extended the CMOS battery where you can get to it in the service access area just so a tear down like that isnt necessary.

Yeah Devonkev it wasnt pretty. Especially when the wifey walked in knowing what I paid for this machine and it was scattered all over the table in a million pieces and I had to listed to her satire for awhile. She never says anything about what I choose to spend money on, she knew I was less than thrilled with the situation and chose to capitalize on the moment! LOL. We have an agreement on that, We both earn a good living and have 3 bank accounts, Hers, Mine and ours. We both contribute the the "Ours" account to pay the bills and put groceries on the table and its adjusted where she put more in it than I do because I foot the health and life insurance as well as retirement and college funds. Anyhow, in the end there is her money, my money and out money. I don't tell her how to spend hers and she doesn't tell me how to spend mine.

ROG Enthusiast Array

In the meantime I found one of the RAM modules was crap on top of that. Work fine for awhile then out of nowhere I get two beep, not through the speakers, like a desktop BIOS beep.
    I can hear exactly the same two beeps! Indicate these beeps a problem with the RAM or something else (too)? The notebook works fine beside the same problem like Jlieu have, slow boot without ac plugged in.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

I put the stock RAM back in, two beeps stopped.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the two beeps with stock RAM (Samsung), checked the RAM with memtest86 5 1/2 hours yet with no failures. Could be there another problem or should I leave it because RAM is ok?

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Might want to open a ticket with support to see or wait and see if anyone else has noted beeping. There is not a set beep code for these laptops that I have been able to find. Pretty much every desktop has different beep codes dependent on the BIOS they are running. I only noted it because there were no beeps until I put different RAM in then got the two beeps which on several platforms means parity error which simply means that a recalled bit is different that what was stored. Sometimes EMI can do that or bad ram timings which we have no control over on this platform. It runs off the SPD. What region are you in to get Samsung memory? I got 2x Hynix 16GB 2133Mhz sticks.

ROG Enthusiast Array

... two beeps which on several platforms means parity error...
    I read the same, tomorrow I contact my distributor for a exchange or maybe RMA if these beeps are not normal.

What region are you in to get Samsung memory? I got 2x Hynix 16GB 2133Mhz sticks.
    I am from germany. Payed too much to be satisfied with these beeps.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Yeah I would not be satisfied either.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have to ask again, get somebody else two short beeps on booting before ROG Logo appears? Is it normal to get beeps or no beeps when booting?

Greetings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast