cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751jt dvd drive no power, not seen in device manager

Javca
Level 7
Greetings this is the second JT which i have in around 1 month. The first one was DOA (graphic overheating) and now problems started with 2nd one. Dvd drive just died like it doesn't receive any power at all. I can't see the drive in device manager and even eject button doesn't work. Anyone have any familiar problem or quick fix or just RMA? Tbh i'm kinda sick of all of that. Cause it's a business laptop and it's more on RMA then i even used it :'D.
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can try re-seating the optical drive before you do anything. Only takes a few minutes. Remove the bottom user service panel. on the right side (machine inverted of course) over beside the memory modules you will see a single screw going though the chassis an into a metal plate. That plate is the L bracket that is holding in the optical drive. Remove that screw, pull out the drive, inspect the connectors and put it back in. Upon restart hit F2 to enter the BIOS. Navigate to your drives under sata configuration in the advanced tab and it will show you which drives are being detected. ESC, exit without saving changes. If its there you should be good to go, If not it could be the drive itself or the MOBO. Most likely the drive. If you dont want to wait for an RMA you can easily replace the drive yourself with 9.5 mm drive from amazon for about $35 or even upgrade to a Blu ray for about $75. The only catch is you will have to remove the L bracket from the old drive and the plastic trim bezel on the tray to install on the replacement drive. Only other outlet for the drives is an authorized service center that will have the drive with the trim on it for double the cost on the same drive or the ebay chop shops.

http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

The link shows photos of where the screws are, DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREW THIS GUIDE TELLS YOU TO! MARSHALL WAS HAVING A BAD DAY!!! Instead remove the scew show just above it, you can plainly see the metal L bracket located about mid point of the memory slots.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You can try re-seating the optical drive before you do anything. Only takes a few minutes. Remove the bottom user service panel. on the right side (machine inverted of course) over beside the memory modules you will see a single screw going though the chassis an into a metal plate. That plate is the L bracket that is holding in the optical drive. Remove that screw, pull out the drive, inspect the connectors and put it back in. Upon restart hit F2 to enter the BIOS. Navigate to your drives under sata configuration in the advanced tab and it will show you which drives are being detected. ESC, exit without saving changes. If its there you should be good to go, If not it could be the drive itself or the MOBO. Most likely the drive. If you dont want to wait for an RMA you can easily replace the drive yourself with 9.5 mm drive from amazon for about $35 or even upgrade to a Blu ray for about $75. The only catch is you will have to remove the L bracket from the old drive and the plastic trim bezel on the tray to install on the replacement drive. Only other outlet for the drives is an authorized service center that will have the drive with the trim on it for double the cost on the same drive or the ebay chop shops.

http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

The link shows photos of where the screws are, DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREW THIS GUIDE TELLS YOU TO! MARSHALL WAS HAVING A BAD DAY!!! Instead remove the scew show just above it, you can plainly see the metal L bracket located about mid point of the memory slots.

Ty justin ALOT. didn't even know that i could upgrade but probabbly i will do it and after doing some research i can even put a 3rd HD which is more used to me then DVD drive, cause i'm already using BLURAY external on 2nd laptop. Ty really alot i will try to check it out tommorow too see what happened, but probabbly power connector

Corporal
Level 9
eject button doesn't work
Some people here wish theirs didn't work, because they press it accidentally 😉

JustinThyme
Level 13
You are quite welcome.

Just so you know the connection there is SATA I 1.5GBps so any HDD you install with the HDD caddy will be horrendously slow. SATA I is fine for an optical drive as their read and write speeds don't exceed the bandwidth of that port, the slowest of HDDs on the market however will.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Corporal
Level 9
Just so you know the connection there is SATA I 1.5GBps

It's SATA 2, speed is about 270 Mbyte/s (tested on my G751JY, G751JT is the same I think)

I use two HGST HTS721010A9E6300 HDDs in RAID 0, one in the Sata 2 slot meant for HDD, the other in the Sata 2 Caddy. Together they reach about 295 MB/s maximum.
the slowest of HDDs on the market however will.

SATA 1 reaches about 135 MByte/s, slowest HDDs are a bit slower than that 😛