cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Disable C-State for CPU in BIOS

volts240
Level 7
"Disabling C-state for my CPU in bios was the biggest boost I've noticed to reduce crashes"

I read this on a forum for my game, which crashes alot

Anybody know precisely what to tweak in BIOS

There's a lot of CPU tweaks .. i'm not au fait with messing this deep .

Appreciate it ..
Devils Canyon Intel i7-4970K ~ Asus Maximus Ranger VII ~ 16 GB HyperX Beast ~ Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 - 2280 SSD ~ CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid ~ PSU: Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Windows Home Premium x64
12 REPLIES 12

Korth
Level 14
C-States are power-saving features built into the processors. They basically shut down or inactive circuit components when they're not needed, then repower them when demand is anticipated. Full explanation here.

I can't think of any way C-States would interfere with games, aside from failing to properly reactivate hardware when resuming from sleep/hibernate.

You can always do a cold boot - fully disconnect and shutdown all power, then start up - if C-States cause improper hardware initialization. Soft boots (like Windows Restart) or warm boots (pressing Reset button) may not always work.

Your problems might be caused by a PSU underrated for your hardware load.

Some games (like BF4) make awful use of multicore/multithreading processor resources and can perform better on some machines with HyperThreading disabled. This is a simple "Enable/Disable/Auto" BIOS setting on all HT-capable Intel motherboards.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
That's the one I'm looking for disable HT in BIOS ,
there's some controversy over whether or not to do it
e.g this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2hti6m/why_does_disabling_hyperthreading_supposedly_give/

I'm simply experimenting with it to see what the results are .
Devils Canyon Intel i7-4970K ~ Asus Maximus Ranger VII ~ 16 GB HyperX Beast ~ Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 - 2280 SSD ~ CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid ~ PSU: Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Windows Home Premium x64

volts240@live.co.uk wrote:
Korth
That's the one I'm looking for disable HT in BIOS ,
there's some controversy over whether or not to do it

I'm simply experimenting with it to see what the results are .

That's exactly what I did, lol.

A couple of restarts between a couple of BF4 benchmark/play sessions took a whole lot less time than digging through piles and piles of angry internet muck. It turns out that performance differences were negligible on my gaming rig - BF4 apparently has little need to call HyperThreaded processes simply because there's always enough raw physical cores available - so I just leave HT enabled. But results vary - and there's no substitute for success.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Then explain me why my GPU driver crashes while in SLI mode (Shadow of Mordor) if C-States are enabled?

Menthol
Level 14
In the bios, Advanced menu, CPU configuration, scroll to bottom, CPU Power Management, CPU C-States, Disable.
Personally I always disable C-States, no reason, just became a habit, I leave Speedstep enabled and C-States disabled, then I cange the Windows power plans settings to my liking

Menthol wrote:
In the bios, Advanced menu, CPU configuration, scroll to bottom, CPU Power Management, CPU C-States, Disable.
Personally I always disable C-States, no reason, just became a habit, I leave Speedstep enabled and C-States disabled, then I cange the Windows power plans settings to my liking

That's where I need to go ..
since discovered another problem though
when I'm in the BIOS the mouse won't stay still over the selection
jumps up to top
tried diff mouse, made sure nothing is hitting keyboard keys
no difference .. have the latest 3003
did manage to al-tab enter + - and changed
thanks a bunch fellas

Menthol wrote:

thanks for this mate, I couldnt find that setting either 🙂

the wee man wrote:
thanks for this mate, I couldnt find that setting either 🙂

well i have to say that i tried c=states to disable and it crashed realbench in a couple of minutes, checked again with it enabled again and touch wood for luck it seems fine, so it appears that c-states could be a bit of a bit and miss for certain people with certain settings or OC etc etc etc, just thought I would say.

Menthol wrote:

In the BIOS Advanced menu on my G75VW, there is no CPU configuration item to select. I don't find anything in the BIOS interface giving me access to the CPU settings. Am I missing something?