cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 32 GB of Memory in the G20AJ?

GoHack
Level 8
Has anyone tried running 32 GB of memory (2 x 16GB) in their G20AJ?

Looking up the specs for both the Intel Core i5 4460 and the i7-4790(K), they both officially support up 32 GB of memory.

As for the specs of the G20AJ itself, Asus doesn't show exactly how much it supports.

. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro
13 REPLIES 13

Paul_Jandali
Level 7
Hmmm, are there even 16GB memory modules with matching specs ? Couldn´t find them, yet.

Guess the support needs 4 slots ?

Anyway, since I delidded my 4790K and replaced the thermal compound completely with liquid metal, I´m out of the game.

waste oh time getting the K model as the PC won't overclock full stop and even asus said that

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
waste oh time getting the K model as the PC won't overclock full stop and even asus said that

With the i7-4790K (4.0 GHz/4.4 GHz Turbo) ($339.99), even not overclocked, is still faster than the i7-4790 (3.8 GHz/4.0 GHz Turbo) ($309.99).
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

GoHack wrote:
With the i7-4790K (4.0 GHz/4.4 GHz Turbo) ($339.99), even not overclocked, is still faster than the i7-4790 (3.8 GHz/4.0 GHz Turbo) ($309.99).
yeah not to be like that, I got that chip in my main pc and love it 🙂

Paul.Jandali wrote:
Hmmm, are there even 16GB memory modules with matching specs ? Couldn´t find them, yet.

Guess the support needs 4 slots ?

Anyway, since I delidded my 4790K and replaced the thermal compound completely with liquid metal, I´m out of the game.

There is 32 GB memory, or 2 x 16 GB, now available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226772

As for your 4790K, it doesn't work after replacing the thermal compound, or delidded, meaning you removed the medal heatsink from the CPU?

GoHack wrote:
There is 32 GB memory, or 2 x 16 GB, now available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226772

As for your 4790K, it doesn't work after replacing the thermal compound, or delidded, meaning you removed the medal heatsink from the CPU?

Wow, indeed ... Well, that might work... Worth a try ... But not for me... And about three times as expensive... ??

No, my 4790K works perfectly fine but I don´t want to touch that again since for replacing RAM you need to remove the whole heatsink, which could lead to serious problems now.
(The heatspreader (is what you call medal heatsink from the CPU) was removed and the thermal compound replaced by liquid metal, also the regular thermal compound between CPU and heatsink was replaced.)
The liquid metal is conductive and hard to apply since it has the quality of a liquid (f.e. like water). If you are not careful enough the tiniest drop can fall to an electrical contact and you even won´t notice it necessarily.

Paul.Jandali wrote:
Wow, indeed ... Well, that might work... Worth a try ... But not for me... And about three times as expensive... ??

No, my 4790K works perfectly fine but I don´t want to touch that again since for replacing RAM you need to remove the whole heatsink, which could lead to serious problems now.
(The heatspreader (is what you call medal heatsink from the CPU) was removed and the thermal compound replaced by liquid metal, also the regular thermal compound between CPU and heatsink was replaced.)
The liquid metal is conductive and hard to apply since it has the quality of a liquid (f.e. like water). If you are not careful enough the tiniest drop can fall to an electrical contact and you even won´t notice it necessarily.

Did the Asus heatsink still seat properly w/o the Intel metal heatsink/heat spreader on the CPU?

Since you can't o/c on the G20AJ, then why worry about making the CPU run any cooler, especially by risking damaging the CPU by removing the metal heatsink/heat spreader from it?

What's the brand name of this liquid metal that you used?

GoHack wrote:
Did the Asus heatsink still seat properly w/o the Intel metal heatsink/heat spreader on the CPU?

Since you can't o/c on the G20AJ, then why worry about making the CPU run any cooler, especially by risking damaging the CPU by removing the metal heatsink/heat spreader from it?

What's the brand name of this liquid metal that you used?

I reattached the heatspreade with silicon gel, so everything seats nicely as usual.

I´m very sensible when it comes to noises. And it´s much more quiet now. I´m very satisfied.

You say OC is impossible ? Hmmm... Really ? But okay. That was not the point for me.

Liquid: Coollaboratory Liquid Pro

Paul.Jandali wrote:
I reattached the heatspreade with silicon gel, so everything seats nicely as usual.

I´m very sensible when it comes to noises. And it´s much more quiet now. I´m very satisfied.

You say OC is impossible ? Hmmm... Really ? But okay. That was not the point for me.

Liquid: Coollaboratory Liquid Pro

Correct me if I am wrong, but the G20AJ is overclockable?