cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar vs. Windows 10 - Rampage V Extreme et al.

Registrar
Level 7
Hi all.
Since there are quite some threads about the issue in the title, I'll sum up the whole thing and provide a working solution.

1. The issue
You install/upgrade to W10 and proceed to update your drivers as provided in the RVE Support page.
When you install the Asus Realtek Audio Driver in Windows 10, the Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar are not installed.
If you launch the installer for the Sonic Studio included in the driver subfolder (Realtek...xxx...whatever/Driver/SonicSuite) it installs and launches fine, but the Sonic Studio doesn't have any effect on output sound and Sonic Radar will be empty or won't show up at all.

2. The solution
a. Premise
- If you did install the Windows 10 driver provided (rev.7571) remove it from Apps and functions. If Sonic Suite is also listed remove that too.
b. Get it together
- Download driver revision 7373 from the RVE Support page. It will only appear if you select Windows 8 as your OS. Choose 32/64 as your W10 is.
- Unpack and install rev.7373 normally (AsusSetup.exe). Reboot and you will get everything up and running, Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar included.
c. You are now stuck with obsolete drivers. Not really!
- Download driver revision 7629 from the Maximus VIII Extreme or Hero Support page. Choose 32/64 as your W10 is.
- Unpack rev.7629.
- Win+X -> Device Manager -> Sound Controllers (or Audio Controllers? Not Audio I/O anyway) -> Right click Realtek High Definition Audio -> Update Software Driver -> Look for SW in this computer -> Navigate to the new driver's decompressed folder -> Click Next
d. You are now running the very latest driver from Realtek (yay!). We retained the older driver interface (witchcraft!) but Sonic Radar and Sonic Studio plugin are old version (boo!).
- Navigate to the folder containing the uncompressed rev.7629 and then to subfolder Driver/SonicRadar.
- Launch SetupSonicPlugins_R2.exe and follow procedure to overwrite the old plugins. Reboot.

3. The epilogue
That's it. You are now running the very latest Realtek Driver with the latest working plugins (v.2.1.25). Everything works as expected, although some games are not picked up by the radar (it seems 64 bit ones are affected). If you install rev.7629 directly it will pick up more games, but won't show in game as rev.7571 does, and Sonic Studio won't work as well. The reason is the plugin installed will be version 2.2.16.
You need to ignore the Sonic Suite subfolder and its content for this whole procedure to work.

Now 2 questions for Mr. Asus:
1. Why doesn't the Windows 10 driver install all the goodies? They are part of the bundle, we paid for them upon buying the MoBo!
2. Why doesn't the latest Sonic Suite work in Windows 10? It is part of the bundle, we paid for it upon buying the MoBo!
3. Why doesn't the download page for the RVE list the latest available driver? This is no ordinary board, it's the flagship of your lineup! You should be proud of your creations and keep them alive as long as possible!
4. Why doesn't Sonic Radar allow you to remove or add programs to the list? You can deselect them, but not remove them. That's a plain design flaw. If you can't remove old/unused apps you end up with a lot of clutter in the menu. And the items changing their position when you select/deselect them are really annoying.

Hope the whole thing helped. Credits go to many people on this forum who tried to solve the problem previously, and came up with simple but working solution.
This is the no compromise solution, for people who bought a no compromise MoBo.

Bye
The Registrar

EDIT: The latest drivers provided for Win 10 (Version 6.0.1.7829) install and work fine in every part, including the plugins, so this guide is actually outdated.
11 REPLIES 11

red454
Level 11
I built my RVE system last month and only used the latest software / drivers from the ASUS support page. I don't recall the order I installed everything, but fortunately it all (Sonic Studio, Sonic Radar, etc.) worked fine on the first try for me.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

That's good for you 🙂
Could I ask you what programs do you run at startup? Are you on the latest Win10 (Pro?)
I have a feeling that EVGA's Precision X is causing issues here. I know for sure that it captures the Del key if the Fan curve window is left open.
Malware is hopefully under control, but I'll redo a scan for the sake of peace of mind.

Registrar wrote:
That's good for you 🙂
Could I ask you what programs do you run at startup? Are you on the latest Win10 (Pro?)
I have a feeling that EVGA's Precision X is causing issues here. I know for sure that it captures the Del key if the Fan curve window is left open.
Malware is hopefully under control, but I'll redo a scan for the sake of peace of mind.

Just the basics for startup, plus AVG. Yes, latest Win 10 Pro.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

i followed the directions and i can not get it to work? the software is up and running, and it shows on screen, but just does not work?

smokeintheeye
Level 11
windows 10 install list for the mobo. fined all the latest drivers 1st.
don't know if it helps but this is the list i use when redoing windows.

1. Intel Chipset Driver
2. Intel MEI
3. Intel RST Driver
4. ASMedia SATA Driver
5. Intel USB 3.0 Driver
6. ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver and ASMedia USB 3.1 driver if you have USB 3.1 Adapter card
7. Intel LAN Network Driver
8. BlueTooth Driver
9. Wi-Fi Driver
10. Realtek driver for Onboard SupremeFX 2014
11. GPU Drivers for what ever GPU you are using
12. Any mouse and key bored driver as needed
13.Monitor drivers if needed

let me know if you think i am missing out or its better doing anything in a different order.

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

I think your order is quite logical and complete. I'd add that utilities that are helpers but not drivers (KeyBot, AI Suite etc.) should be installed afterwards, but that's quite logical too.

smokeintheeye
Level 11
can you post a screenshot please or expand abit on whats not working please. have you pushed the small red button on the mobo to turn it on?

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

dpoverlord
Level 8
Is there a download for sound stage 3 so we can get it working on the ASUS rampage V Extreme? Crazy that there is no software link and no mention on how to get it working.

Would be great to get better sound for Headphone users that need it for gaming.

dpoverlord wrote:
Is there a download for sound stage 3 so we can get it working on the ASUS rampage V Extreme? Crazy that there is no software link and no mention on how to get it working.

Would be great to get better sound for Headphone users that need it for gaming.

anyone?