cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All possible ways to add "Always-On 4G-LTE" internet, discreetly in CD-Drive slot?

ROGdemigod
Level 7
I want to add always on 4G-LTE connected internet to my G752 as soon as the laptop is powered on. I figure the best place to add it would be the CD-Drive slot, as I have not used a Disc in the last 5 years. So the CD-Drive is a waste of good space.

What would be the best option to do so, incognito, so it's built into the laptop somehow?

I was thinking of adding a 4G-LTE USB Stick that has an antenna already built in or WWAN in CD-DRIVE slot?

Anybody know the best way to add "always-on" internet to the G752?
8 REPLIES 8

joshindaphils
Level 11
Drive bay adapter for a nice bezel, some wire to tap into a usb port / perhaps a small USB hub, two sided tape, and solder.

Not sure what type of reception you would get inside of the bay though.

What is wrong with your phone? I lived of my phone as an always on solution for years. Just kept it plugged into the wall.

Julskey
Level 10
For me the best solution would be a 4g-LTE pocket wifi. Its a portable modem and wifi router (AP) with a sim card slot. Just connect your laptop through wifi, it can also connect your other devices such as tablets and phones and simultaneously use the internet. It also has greater cellular radio range than most phones and modems. This way your 4g connection is always on even if your laptop is off.

Julskey wrote:
For me the best solution would be a 4g-LTE pocket wifi. Its a portable modem and wifi router (AP) with a sim card slot. Just connect your laptop through wifi, it can also connect your other devices such as tablets and phones and simultaneously use the internet. It also has greater cellular radio range than most phones and modems. This way your 4g connection is always on even if your laptop is off.

Yep, a Verizon Jetpack or whatever should easily fit in the drive bay. You could probably power it via the internal SATA power plug somehow I bet.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I have one that works great, My Iphone!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I have one that works great, My Iphone!

I've been using also my iphone 5s for internet access. I just set it up as an AP voila. But in my next contract at sea, i'll buy one of those cheap huawei pocket 3g wifi(4g lte costs more). They have greater signal strength than my iphone. Perfect when at anchor at considerable distances from cell sites. Iphone also gets hot on extended use.

Julskey
Level 10
I don't know if wimax is available for g752? Wimax was advertized in my old g74sx from bestbuy.

ROGdemigod
Level 7
I have two lines of service with unthrottled, unlimited data, which I pay $100 to Verizon, and $30 to AT&T per month. Because I travel a lot, no matter where I am in the US, I get 4G LTE always one or the other, and about 95% of the time with both.

I already have a mifi hi otspot, which I got tired of carrying with me all the time. So now, I use the Verizon in a Note 4, and the AT&T in a Amazon Fire Phone, which is a superior hotspot compared to the mifi hotspot.

But, I use my phone and my G752 almost exclusively, which is why I want "Always-On" Internet for my G752.

I have been thinking of buying a CD-Drive caddy, and modifying it to hold the Amazon Fire Phone. which from checking it out, seems my Fire Phone fits perfectly in, that way I can have a phone built into my laptop lol.

Just so you know, I cab run a hot spot on my Note 4 as well, which I do often, but see a dramatic reduction in battery life. My Note 4 usually gets from 6-10 hours easily of constant usage, but when hotspot is constantly on, it's about 3-5 hours max.

But the idea of putting a USB stick in the CD-Drive slot, and always being instantly on as soon as the laptop powers on is a very tempting idea.

Decisions, decisions!

ROGdemigod wrote:

... the idea of putting a USB stick in the CD-Drive slot, and always being instantly on as soon as the laptop powers on is a very tempting idea.

Decisions, decisions!

The idea may work but considering it is under a metal cased cover, if not complketely enclosed in metal, may have a reduced cellular service signal and will have frequent disconnections from data service.