cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT how upgrade the RAM?

Delvi
Level 7
I've just bought a G752VT and it has 8GB of RAM, I'd like to upgrade to 16 GB. I am not an expert and I don't want to invalidate the warranty, so for me the best option would be to buy two 4 GB modules and install them in the two empty slots, which should be easy to access. I have two questions:

1) which RAM I should buy for having a 100% compatibility with the system and with the 8 GB already installed? There is a way to know which RAM modules are installed without open everything?

2) the RAM upgrade in the empty slots is exactly as described for G751 or there are some differences? Is it invaliding the warranty or there is any risk of doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance for your kind answers.
8 REPLIES 8

Julskey
Level 10
My g752vt came with 16gb of ram. There are no ram cards in the user upgradeable ram slots so maybe the ram installed could be 8gbx2 or it could also be 16gbx1. In my case it is probably 8gbx2. But in your case, it could be 8gbx1 or 4gbx2? Anyway i dont know if it is possible to mix ram card sizes in our laptops. I know older desktop motherboards support mixed sizes of ram cards.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Download Hwinfo and run it. It will tell you what ram you have as well as everything else for that matter.
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Download Hwinfo and run it. It will tell you what ram you have as well as everything else for that matter.
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I did and I`ve got this:

I understood that should be installed two 4GB modules at 2333MHz (2333/2=1066). I wonder if I can install other two DDR4 4GB modules at 2333Mhz and 1.2v, like for instance these:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2k4g4sfs8213

Fipser
Level 7
He asked you to download HWiNFO and run it, the program in the screenshot is CPU-Z. The specs page of the G752VT says it runs DDR4 2133 MHz RAM. And 1064.6 MHz x2 equals 2129.2 MHz so 2133 MHz RAM. So if you're using CPU-Z now...go to the SPD tab and switch to a slot that displays a RAM module. It should give you the name and detailed info about the RAM installed. I bet it will be the Samsung SO-DIMM "M471A1G43DB0-CPB" as 8 GB single module.

Correct me if i'm wrong but single channel sounds to me like youre running a single 8 GB module currently.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The HW info tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the ram, including the manufacturer and model number, even the serial number. It just leave you with no questions. My guess is you have a single 8GB stick and and can upgrade to 24GB but cant tell with a certainty by the info provided.

Here is an example of the HWinfo. Shows mine with 2x16GB sticks, clocks, timing, latency etc. so you can buy something that is compatible with what you already have in it if you are not prepared to remove it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, you were right: it has a single Samsung 8gb ddr4 module at 2133mhz and 1.2v, Samsung at 1.2v and it says is in "slot3". I guess it should be the external location, so if I install another ram module with same characteristics in slot4 (which should be the other external one I suppose) I should be fine?

Delvi wrote:
Yes, you were right: it has a single Samsung 8gb ddr4 module at 2133mhz and 1.2v, Samsung at 1.2v and it says is in "slot3". I guess it should be the external location, so if I install another ram module with same characteristics in slot4 (which should be the other external one I suppose) I should be fine?

yeah! just go for the Module Part Number shown in the screenshot above by using HWiNFO or looking it up on the installed module itself. With this information you should find the exact same RAM module on the internet. Just install it into a free slot. If the (four i suppose) slots come with paired socket-colors just install into the other free same-colored slot as the slot the other module is already installed into.

Fipser wrote:
yeah! just go for the Module Part Number shown in the screenshot above by using HWiNFO or looking it up on the installed module itself. With this information you should find the exact same RAM module on the internet. Just install it into a free slot. If the (four i suppose) slots come with paired socket-colors just install into the other free same-colored slot as the slot the other module is already installed into.

Thank ypu for the explanation, it was really helpful.