cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 & Windows 10 x64 on ROG GL552VW (Windows 10 pre-install) ?

erick_chumit
Level 7
Hello all,

I know this subject has been discussed extensively in this forum as well as in others. And I swear I have read quite a lot of forums on how to resolve this. But almost all how-tos say the same steps which sound very easy. Thus, I am starting to believe that my situation is specific or something's wrong.

Here's my story:

I have Windows 7 x64 ISO file (The one you can actually choose which version to install). I've followed several tutorials on how to create a bootable UEFI DVD or UEFI USB (GPT partition, bootx64, etc etc) and I succeeded. Then I set the Boot options to: NO-SECURITY-BOOT/NO-FAST-BOOT/ENABLE-CSM on the Boot options and In that I have also been able to boot from the UEFI USB (Yes, by choosing UEFI USB, and not the regular USB). I then realized that, once in the the Win7 Setup, it didn't detect the same USB I used to open the setup. Strange. But anyway, I found a program that adds some Intel USB 3.0 drivers to the USB installation and was finally able to run the setup and continue with the installation.

**A note here: it's strange that when CSM is disabled, the boot menu does see the UEFI: USB option but doesn't work. I have to set the CSM to enabled and choose UEFI USB. It's kind of contradictory.

Any way, going forward. For those of you who have this laptop, you are aware that there is a 😧 DATA partition disc that comes from the factory. I erased that partition and used that to install W7. I got to run the Setup and was able to install it successfully. After installation, I get to see W7 and W10 in the WIndows Boot Manager. But then I realized some things about the installation:

1. If I don't enable the CSM compatibility option, I still see W7 in the boot manager but it hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen and never starts up. Only if I set CSM, can I start up W7.

2. Once I'm there, it's like the USB problem all over again. There are no USB drivers.

3. There are a whole bunch of OTHER missing drivers too, that are NOT found nor detected. Heck, I don't even have a mouse (since the USB ports don't work, I can't plug in an external mouse either). I had to enable Mouse Keys from Accessibility to move around or use the TAB button which is a PITA. I don't have Ethernet, USB, Trackpad, Sound, etc. I don't know if this is normal?

In general, W7 is useless right now. I mean I can't do anything. I was able to download the Intel AC WiFi drivers (I downloaded it in W10 and copied the file to the partition of W7 while on W10, ...GEEZ) and so at least I have WiFi, but I can't do much still. If I go to Device Manager, it has something like 15-20 Unknown Devices which includes a lot of stuff.

For any of you guys who were able to clean install or dual boot install W7 with UEFI, am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Did you deal with the same stuff here?

Also, I though because the installation was on an USB with UEFI, should'nt I be able to (after the installation) enable back again the security boot/fast-boot/ and disable the CSM thing like it was before? Or will I have to leave these options forever as long as I have W7? I don't get it.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Cheers!
14 REPLIES 14

Saipher
Level 7
I did W7/W10 dual boot on G751JY. What I did differently was clean install on a new SSD for both of them, W7 first and then W10. With W7 I had same kind of problems. Asus does not seem to provide W7 drivers. There was a topic on this forum, which helped me and now I have a functional W7. In the beginning, I had no network at all, fortunately usb did work, display drivers were not there, audio was not there, etc. I had to manually find and install everything. Most of the stuff came from asus support site, mostly using W8.1 drivers...

Saipher wrote:
I did W7/W10 dual boot on G751JY. What I did differently was clean install on a new SSD for both of them, W7 first and then W10. With W7 I had same kind of problems. Asus does not seem to provide W7 drivers. There was a topic on this forum, which helped me and now I have a functional W7. In the beginning, I had no network at all, fortunately usb did work, display drivers were not there, audio was not there, etc. I had to manually find and install everything. Most of the stuff came from asus support site, mostly using W8.1 drivers...

Interesting. When installing W7, what options did you configure on your BOOT menu? Did you have to enable CSM? Disable security-boot?

erick.chumit wrote:
Interesting. When installing W7, what options did you configure on your BOOT menu? Did you have to enable CSM? Disable security-boot?

Yes and yes.

Saipher wrote:
Yes and yes.

Did you get any trouble detecting the USB Controller Driver in W7?

Mine is missing the USB Controller Driver, some PCI Communications Controller and PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller. I really don't know what's the deal but I can't even connect a Mouse (Because we are all aware that the ASUS TrackPad is a NO-GO on W7).

erick.chumit wrote:

Yes and yes.

Korth
Level 14
I've had problems installing Win7/Win10 multiboots on the same drive and same machine when using Microsoft's garbage tools. Physically swapping between Win7 and Win10 drives is workable, but it's a bit too much hassle for a laptop.

The only way I've been able to configure it successfully was by running WinOS boot instances in linux VMware. But configuring linux and configuring a hypervisor is more involved than simply installing Windows.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Julskey
Level 10
Probably, the new laptop hardware do not support generic drivers found in win7. Why not use virtual machines? I was always using virtualbox to run xp and linux programs in my win7 before. Havent tried windows 7 in win10 though. I'll try when i get home. But i think it will work just fine.

Julskey wrote:
Probably, the new laptop hardware do not support generic drivers found in win7. Why not use virtual machines? I was always using virtualbox to run xp and linux programs in my win7 before. Havent tried windows 7 in win10 though. I'll try when i get home. But i think it will work just fine.

I did try with a virtual machine. In fact, I had VM Ware with Win7, Win Vista, Win XP, and Ubuntu. The thing is that when I ran some heavy software I need, the VM crashed or so. I really don't know what was going on. Thus, I wanna try with a Native Installation of W7 and not virtual one. Thanks

Saipher
Level 7
No problem with USB for me on G751JY.