Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array maf23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rjaudio View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a GL552VW arriving tomorrow along with an m.2 ssd drive and win 7 pro 64. I'd like to install win 7 in the ssd and leave win 10 on the 1 TB drive. Is this going to work? I've installed win 7 on a different asus machine that came with win 8, so I'm familiar with all the bios changes and driver hunting, no worries there. Don't care about the fact that there is no trackpad driver in win 7.

Unfortunately, a bunch of apps I use do not yet support 10 or function properly in it and a VM will not work. It'll be a single purpose machine (audio recording), no gaming, no web browsing, etc.

Thanks!!
    I'd be interested if you got that to work. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I just used Macrium to clone the Windows 10 partition to a SATA SSD and use the remaining space for Windows 7. If there is no native USB support for Windows 7 in Skylake HM170 Chipset, I would be surprised if it let you boot from the m2 slot. You would probably have better luck putting Windows 10 on the m2 drive.
    Last edited by maf23; 02-07-2016 at 04:36 PM.

ROG Member Array

I believe it's not an issue, as one can buy custom skylake laptops with win 7 installed on an ssd....

ROG Member Array

Just to follow up, I was able to install win 7 on the ssd and leave the win 10 install on the 1tb unchanged. The only change I'll need to make at some point is move the boot partitions to the ssd so I can put true backup images on the 1 tb. Since there is no native USB support in 7, you can back up to an external drive, but won't be able to restore as the drive won't be available.

Still have to research on how to move the boot partitions. It may mean backing up win 10, erasing boot partitions on the 1tb, and then use the win 7 DVD to "repair" the ssd and create a boot partition. I remember doing something like this by accident a few years ago....... Better solutions always welcome

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H (310)
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse ROG Strix Carry Wireless-BT mouse
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One Bluetooth gamepad
    Accessory #2 Hori Fighting Stick Mini
    Accessory #3 4K Blu-Ray UHD USB Archgon Star

You'd better learn how to make these incompatible apps work on Win 10... I'm not aware of incompatibile software not working in Win 10. If any there are usually patches or Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit for very ancient software...
    What's exactly the software and what's the problem under Win10?
    Last edited by hexaae; 02-14-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2